Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Alternate Low Light Lenses by Tamron?

BrundinPhoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Alternate Low Light Lenses by Tamron?

Hello everyone,

I wanted to get your opinion on an upcoming lens purchase. I shoot the 24-200mm range pretty frequently and am looking to get a 24-70 f/2.8 and a 70-200 f/2.8. These will be used on a 5D MkIII and a 1Ds MkII.

Right now I am comparing the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L and the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS against the Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC and the Tamron 70-200MM F/2.8 Di VC. I wanted to see if anyone had experience with these newer Tamron Lenses. Would it be safer to go with the older Canon lenses, or are the Tamron lenses up to snuff quality wise? Optical quality seems good...

Thanks!

May 01, 2014 at 06:44 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Alternate Low Light Lenses by Tamron?

interested in this as well .
currently im tossing up that pair or canon f4 zooms .(well its one part of what im trying to decide)

what makes me wary is the only Tamron ive used is the 28-75 . and while its a 2.8 against my 24-105 f4 (so it gets TWICE the light to the camera) it cant focus in low light that the canon lens has no trouble with

from what i have read the 24-70 VC is a very good lens (the heavy vignetting does concern me though) and seems to focus well , but with the 70-200 (IQ great as well) ive seen a few reports of focus issues where it either locks fine or wont lock at all .

Im comming down on the side of the F4's from canon as they are a known performance

May 02, 2014 at 01:58 AM
fixedgearmike
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Alternate Low Light Lenses by Tamron?

dont know if this link will work but there are a load of youtube reviews of the tamron lenses, including direct comparisons with the canon equivalent.. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tamron

i went for canon for both, I could afford it at the time and didnt want to risk missing focus (weddings....)

May 02, 2014 at 02:12 AM
kiddik
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Alternate Low Light Lenses by Tamron?

I've had short hands on experience with both of these lenses and I must admit, I'm rather shallow in that I value build quality as much as image quality, and that being said I wouldn't enjoy shooting with the Tamron's very much. Their zooming helicoids had a variable stiffness to them, felt plasticky and discomforting, but their image quality is very good for their price.

May 02, 2014 at 05:17 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Alternate Low Light Lenses by Tamron?

I'm going to suggest renting, if you can. It should be obvious that the AF on the Tamron lenses isn't going to be as effective as the AF on the Canon lenses in every situation, so only you can determine if the Tamron lenses are 'good enough'.

Optically, they're outstanding, and having VC on the standard zoom seems to make a difference for many.

May 02, 2014 at 07:14 AM
Warbird55

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Alternate Low Light Lenses by Tamron?

Based on what I've seen and read, the tamron 24-70 is a great bang for your buck versus canon. For 70-200, I'd feel like anything but the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II would leave me feeling short changed. That lens is outstanding.

May 02, 2014 at 08:20 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Alternate Low Light Lenses by Tamron?

Here are links to Roger's tests:
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/09/canon-24-70-f2-8-ii-resolution-tests
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/01/canon-24-70-f4-is-resolution-tests
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/09/why-arent-the-damn-numbers-the-same

Roger does extensive testing on MULTIPLE COPIES, unlike most reviewers, so it accounts for sample variation.
He also talks about repair history in his blog. His website and input as an FM member provides very valuable info.

My guess is that the difference will be more a matter of getting a good sample rather than which lens model to choose. A good sample of the Canon v1 combo will be better than a mediocre sample of a new Tamron combo.
But if you're lucky...

The VC on the Tamron is the biggest difference, in my opinion.

May 02, 2014 at 10:39 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Alternate Low Light Lenses by Tamron?

This link is for Bryan's extensive review of the Tamron 70-200. He also has resolution charts as well.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tamron-70-200mm-f-2.8-Di-VC-USD-Lens-Review.aspx

Looking at his "image quality" charts, his Tamron is sharper at the wide end and the Canon v1 is sharper at the long end.
I don't think he uses multiple copies of each lens, so that is a factor.

May 02, 2014 at 10:45 AM
ajbphoto

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Alternate Low Light Lenses by Tamron?

The Tamron SP lenses are amazing. I have been using the 70-200 and the 24-70 for about 15 months taking
several thousand pictures, primarily event photography, some weddings, etc. I use the lenses on the 7D, the 70D and the 6D for both still and video. Last week I received the highly acclaimed, sought after and hard to get Tamron 150-600
which is as amazing as the other two. I was wait listed with three different vendors.

With the different bodies I have the backup I need and the zoom range for tremendous flexibility creativity. All three work very well for video as half of my jobs are video. All are VC. Total price for all three is about $3918. + tax, they all have 6 year Tamron warranties.

The Canon EF lenses you mention do not appear to be version II. I love to do testing and micro adjustments so that was an enjoyable process confirming that the lenses are working as best as they can with each camera. I am a systems engineer by nature and profession. My research lead me to this combination and your research will lead you to what is right for you. I think you have started with the right questions, now you just need to find the confirmation you seek.

Other lenses: Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 50mm 2.5 macro, Tokina 11-16mm, Tamron 28-75mm, Tamron 17-50mm

May 07, 2014 at 03:10 AM
longrowe

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Alternate Low Light Lenses by Tamron?

I am also in this same boat. If I am going to plunk down the cash, should I go for the Canon 70-200 F/2.8 or can I settle for the F/4? Id the low light performance worth the extra weight (and money)?

May 07, 2014 at 03:26 AM
longrowe

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Alternate Low Light Lenses by Tamron?

Sorry- just saw this was about Tamron specifically. I was also looking at the Tamron 2.8 as it is the same at the Canon f/4. So for the same money, Canon F/4 or Tamron F2.8?

May 07, 2014 at 03:29 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.