Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Einsteins and bees vs packs and heads

How do you guys feel about it all?

May 01, 2014 at 03:58 PM
316shooter
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Einsteins and bees vs packs and heads

Highly subjective and largely dependent on specific needs. My personal preference for most work is packs/heads. But I do like monolights for certain situations. I often have to place lights very high on booms and prefer to have less weight up that high, plus I can control power right from the pack. Ultimately I don't think there is one easy solution for all shooting. And at least for me, a combination of packs/heads, and monolights is the best of both worlds. Not to mention, a mix of A/C and battery systems.

May 01, 2014 at 04:44 PM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Einsteins and bees vs packs and heads

I never had any monolights before, but after I got my Einstein's coupled with the Cyber Commander with easy change of the settings, I was sold. I am also sold on the Canon 600ex-rt for ease of getting the master slave set up and the TTL capability of the system.....I think they all have their place and while you can pick one and run with it, I think with all of it you will have the most flexibility....and of course the most money involved......if this is for business you may find it hard if not impossible to justify the expense of all of it. However if this is your hobby, you may look at it completely differently and just enjoy the features as part of your hobby.......

Enjoy!

May 01, 2014 at 05:01 PM
JCoburn

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Einsteins and bees vs packs and heads

I went with a Jinbei discovery 600Ws pack.
I never stop moving and don't shoot in a studio so it seemed a good choice for me.

What I like:
*I very much like the Bowen mount.
*The lightweight head...Especialy on a boom.
*I get thousands of shots while under 1/4 power....Seems to run forever.
*I like the price...Seems like an incredible deal when compared to the Elinchrom at $2700.00! So far it seems at least or more than its equal (in function)....Time will tell.
*The power. Coming from speedlights where power is always an issue with bigger modifiers. Overpowering the sun with a 60inch octa (with the internal deflector and diffuser in place) was no problem.

What I don't like:
The LED modeling light is too weak.
The plastic as shipped heads are too weak for heavy Octaboxes (as is the Elinchrom). Jinbei has a HD metal head for $180.00 which I love.
Being the first guy I know to own one.

Just thought I would throw out a differrent option for you!
Good luck!

May 08, 2014 at 01:23 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.