Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Official: Sony A77 Mark II Translucent Mirror DSLR

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Official: Sony A77 Mark II Translucent Mirror DSLR

FlyPenFly wrote:
I'm expecting it'll probably be a really good 21-35mm F4 zoom.

Sony has a habit of doing this even with their collapsed zoom kit lens 16-50. That should have really been a 20-40 zoom like Samsung did. It's excellent in that range for it's size.

Yes, and the problem is that we want an UWA lens to perform great at ultra wide focal lengths.
I'm hoping I'm wrong because I am interested on this lens as well.

May 01, 2014 at 08:34 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Official: Sony A77 Mark II Translucent Mirror DSLR

As the thread skews towards moderate indictment of Sony, I would add from my point of view that many of these short-flange systems with larger sensors sometimes seem to introduce more problems than they might solve.

So the camera is smaller, in theory some lenses are smaller. It's new and unexplored space, and I think that's simply where the temptation of profit lies for camera makers. For Canon and Nikon they have a lock on the SLR market, but the others must scramble to fill empty niches, hoping for mass adoption.

So you have some some stuff appear in a "flash" and other thing dribbling slowing.

But man, those Sony sensors are good!

May 01, 2014 at 08:45 PM
Tareq
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Official: Sony A77 Mark II Translucent Mirror DSLR

Ok, things with me is very confusing and sometimes i am lost on my buy.

I bought A7R to use it for landscapes and architecture or even cityscape because of higher mp, i tested once with my TS and loved it, so i am done with it, but now my concern with Sony cameras is about AF.

I am going to sell my Canon 1D MarkIIn very soon, then i was thinking to buy another camera that is fast so it can be a backup for my 1DX, 1D3 is the backup but this may go away later as someone asked me to buy and i am waiting his confirmation, and i want to buy only new body and not used, so Canon 1D4 is out of my equation.

Now Sony produced A6000, it has 24mp and 11fps, so if i only consider those 2 features then this will beat my 1D3 and 1D2n or even my 1DX for sports, it is a crop body so i may not crop much and still have enough mp to play with, not sure about the high ISO but mostly i don't shoot higher than 6400, so i will not worry how good Sony high ISO compared to Canon new DSLRs, but the only thing i am very much worried about Sony cameras compared to Canon 1 series cameras is the AF speed.

So, how good is this camera A6000 AF speed with or without adapter? I may think to buy say Sony native lens FE 70-200 so i don't need to use an adapter, how good AF of this camera with native lens and using say 11fps?

And now Sony also announced about A77-II, the specification is almost same this A6000 but i see that A77-II is better, so i may ignore A6000 and go with A77-II, but with both cameras, how the AF speed is? I will wait about A77II review about AF speed, and also will keep watching this A6000 reviews, i will not buy any of both cameras for travel or landscapes or portraits, only i care about sports/wildlife/action/....etc, say fast moving subjects photography.

May 02, 2014 at 12:24 AM
HopeIsEternal
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Official: Sony A77 Mark II Translucent Mirror DSLR

Tareq wrote:

I bought A7R to use it for landscapes and architecture or even cityscape because of higher mp, i tested once with my TS and loved it, so i am done with it, but now my concern with Sony cameras is about AF.

I am going to sell my Canon 1D MarkIIn very soon, then i was thinking to buy another camera that is fast so it can be a backup for my 1DX, 1D3 is the backup but this may go away later as someone asked me
...Show more

The A6000 may have reasonably fast AF when using on-sensor PDAF feature but that only works when using a supported E-mount lens. There are no E-mount super telephotos available and the longest reaching E-mount lens is the Sony FE 70-200mm f/4 lens.

If you try to use a Sony Alpha SLR telephoto lens on the A6000 by connecting Sony's A-mount adapters you will discover that the fast on-sensor PDAF feature on the A6000 will not be used but instead the slower NEX contrast detection or SLT phase detection autofocus in the Sony SLT adapter will be used instead. If you try to use Canon EF telephoto via Metabones adapter than you will only get very, very slow autofocus capability with your A6000.

So the only way a Sony A6000 can be used for typical fast sports shooting is if Sony releases an E-mount super-telephoto lens which I don't think will happen in the next few years.

As far as the A77mkII, I have no idea how improved its AF is compared to the original A77. However, I have an A99 (full frame) which has the exact same PD AF system of the A77 and I'm not impressed at all with it. Perhaps my camera's focusing system is defective because I have taken sequences of shots where the AF sensor was placed over a high contrast target and yet 80% of the shots are not correctly focused or completely out of focus. I also experienced a situation yesterday where the top right outer AF sensor would not focus at all on several very high contrast targets when the camera was held in the portrait orientation but would focus correctly when held in the landscape position.

Others have had much better luck with A77 AF system when shooting sports though so I wouldn't rule this camera out for sports telephoto shooting. However from my own personal experience with SONY AF systems, I would easily choose a Nikon D7100 or Canon 7D over a Sony A77 or A77mkII when it comes to auto-focusing and tracking performance. You will also find that that both Nikon and Canon systems give you much more choice and flexibility when it comes to finding a stabilized telephoto or super-telephoto to shoot with due to the better lens rental availability.

May 02, 2014 at 12:51 AM
itai195
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Official: Sony A77 Mark II Translucent Mirror DSLR

Fred Miranda wrote:
This may sound negative but I don't have high hopes for their FE UWA. It's likely to be compact with many compromises. I'm expecting similar performance to their FE 24-70 which was disappointing to me.

You probably are right, though I find the 24-70 serviceable at least. I suppose I'll just have to bite the bullet and pick up that WATE I've been eyeing

May 02, 2014 at 01:18 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Official: Sony A77 Mark II Translucent Mirror DSLR

itai195 wrote:
You probably are right, though I find the 24-70 serviceable at least. I suppose I'll just have to bite the bullet and pick up that WATE I've been eyeing

It's probably a good choice but even with its telecentric design, there will be magenta color casting.

May 02, 2014 at 02:09 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Official: Sony A77 Mark II Translucent Mirror DSLR

FlyPenFly wrote:
I'm expecting it'll probably be a really good 21-35mm F4 zoom.

this is the best case scenario for me, i'm never going to go wider than 21mm. my worry is that they'll stretch mediocre performance over the entire range rather than having a good range and a poorish range.

May 02, 2014 at 02:23 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Official: Sony A77 Mark II Translucent Mirror DSLR

Sony A77II shutter sound at 8 FPS and 12 FPS

May 02, 2014 at 04:39 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Official: Sony A77 Mark II Translucent Mirror DSLR

Looking forward to the day of global shutters where a 12fps burst is completely silent

May 02, 2014 at 04:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

asiafish
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Official: Sony A77 Mark II Translucent Mirror DSLR

HopeIsEternal wrote:
You don't need to find a stabilized telephoto for the A77 or A77II as those cameras have in-body stabilization that works with ALL lenses, even 25-year-old Minoltas.

May 02, 2014 at 05:28 PM
piik

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Official: Sony A77 Mark II Translucent Mirror DSLR

I was waiting RX100 MKIII!!! But A77 looks cool

May 02, 2014 at 06:35 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Official: Sony A77 Mark II Translucent Mirror DSLR

Tareq wrote:

I am going to sell my Canon 1D MarkIIn very soon, then i was thinking to buy another camera that is fast so it can be a backup for my 1DX, 1D3 is the backup but this may go away later as someone asked me
...Show more

What you should also consider, and if possible, try before you make a decision, is EVF blackout. I shoot with a 1DX and have shot Canon 1 series cameras since the system began, and the 1DX is by far the best sports/action camera ever, from Canon. I've shot with the original a77 on a limited basis, primarily soccer. I found the EVF stutter during sequences was extremely annoying. While there is mirror blackout with any DSLR, with the 1DX, it's very, very brief. If the a77 II or a6000 can approach this, or even better, have no EVF stutter or blackout and maintain competitive follow-focus, then it might be worthwhile. But without first trying it, I suspect the technology still isn't quite there yet and have difficulty believing a $1000 prosumer camera will outperform the AF tracking performance of a top-end DSLR like the 1DX or D4s.

May 02, 2014 at 07:17 PM
asiafish
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Official: Sony A77 Mark II Translucent Mirror DSLR

piik wrote:
I was waiting RX100 MKIII!!! But A77 looks cool

Whats wrong with the RX100 mk 2?

May 02, 2014 at 08:43 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Official: Sony A77 Mark II Translucent Mirror DSLR

Fred Miranda wrote:
Yes, and the problem is that we want an UWA lens to perform great at ultra wide focal lengths.
I'm hoping I'm wrong because I am interested on this lens as well.

I don't think you're wrong. I think the lens, like the 24-70, will please shooters looking for a high quality native mount zoom who are willing to accept some compromises to get it.

I'm guessing/hoping Zeiss will make some solid MF primes for system in this range that will please landscape/architectural and other critical shooters.

Personally, I'd be over the moon to see a Zeiss perspective control lens for the system somewhere around 21 to 28mm. That I would take over any zoom.

May 02, 2014 at 10:56 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Official: Sony A77 Mark II Translucent Mirror DSLR

asiafish wrote:
Whats wrong with the RX100 mk 2?

There are rumors floating around that Sony managed to wedge a built-in EVF and 180 degree tilt screen on the next gen without drastically increasing the size. I wasn't all that interested in it before, but if Sony has managed to conquer what some might justifiably call a physical improbability, I want to see it.

May 02, 2014 at 11:01 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Official: Sony A77 Mark II Translucent Mirror DSLR

HopeIsEternal wrote:
As far as the A77mkII, I have no idea how improved its AF is compared to the original A77. However, I have an A99 (full frame) which has the exact same PD AF system of the A77 and I'm not impressed at all with it. Perhaps my camera's focusing system is defective because I have taken sequences of shots where the AF sensor was placed over a high contrast target and yet 80% of the shots are not correctly focused or completely out of focus. I also experienced a situation yesterday where the top right outer AF sensor would not
...Show more

Probably that sensor isn't cross type, so no need for repairing.

May 02, 2014 at 11:07 PM
HopeIsEternal
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Official: Sony A77 Mark II Translucent Mirror DSLR

mirkoc wrote:
Probably that sensor isn't cross type, so no need for repairing.

Yes, I understand the difference between line and cross AF sensors but this particular AF sensor was unable to focus on *anything* at all if the camera was in portrait orientation. I've never seen this before. Even on my Sony A700 I was able to use the outermost AF points while the camera was in portrait orientation - that is the only way to get a focus point on a person's eye when the camera is in portrait orientation. I was also able to verify with the A99 that the AF point next to this troublesome AF point (neither were cross points) had no problem acquiring focus. I pointed the camera all over a target that had strong horizontal and vertical contrast and nothing happened at all. The lens did not even move one bit or try to rack to find focus. Instead the green AF confirmation box flashed and the image remained out of focus.

That experience and seeing so many pictures out of focus when shooting close-up with new Sony 50mm f/1.4 lens is why I think my A99 AF system may be defective/out of whack. I guess I should first register it with Sony and then try to call their support line to see how to send it in for diagnostics/repairs.

May 03, 2014 at 01:01 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Official: Sony A77 Mark II Translucent Mirror DSLR

Fred Miranda wrote:
It's probably a good choice but even with its telecentric design, there will be magenta color casting.

Hey Fred, is there some way to fix the missing multi-quotes?

Anyway, my FE hopes are pinned on the Zeiss manual lenses coming at Photokina...

May 03, 2014 at 10:42 AM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password