FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Softbox on a wolf

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Softbox on a wolf

I found this slime mould growing on a willow log in my garden early this morning. I wanted to try my new Olympus dedicated flash TTL with a soft box. e I used my Kiron 105mm macro at f8 for the lower magnifications and my Printing Nikkor 95mm at f11 for the higher ones. All were at ISO 400, the softbox lowering the light intensity too much for lower ISO. Hand-held.

I though I had missed the more interesting part of the life cycle and this proved to be so, that apparently having happened during the night. Details of a previous shoot, using undiffused flash, can be found here:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1248913

The camera was my EM-1.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2014

© Harold Gough 2014

© Harold Gough 2014

Apr 30, 2014 at 02:46 PM
bladesofgrass
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Softbox on a wolf

Interesting mold, almost plastic like texture. Were these single shots or a stack? The focus plane seems uneven, with gaps in the last shot. Very cool colours and subject though.

Apr 30, 2014 at 09:12 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Softbox on a wolf

bladesofgrass wrote:
Interesting mold, almost plastic like texture. Were these single shots or a stack? The focus plane seems uneven, with gaps in the last shot. Very cool colours and subject though.

It looks even more plasticky and matt to the naked eye. Of course, it was on its way to becoming the greyish, hard crust of the resistant stage. The problem with this kind of subject (those scale-like structures look waxy in the RAW image) is how to bring out the detail in a representative way

All single frames. At f11 on the lens, it was very tricky to focus on these bodies. partly because they vary slightly in height above the substrate. I had focus peaking available for the first time but, with this subject, it seems to go mainly for the outer edge. These were taken with the log on a table and my hand or elbow getting some support.

Harold

May 01, 2014 at 12:37 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.