1       2      
       end

Archive 2014 · help on an image new take at end

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · help on an image new take at end

ben egbert wrote:
I just looked at my images from the past 3 days where I tried shade WB for pre-dawn and sunlight WB if there was any. I also included my McBeth for a WB target for a couple. This sort of works as it warms up the shot.

Shade (in natural lighting) is absence of direct warm light. Pre-dawn is essentially the same as shade, since the direct warm light is being blocked by the earth rather than say a building or trees. The illumination is then still relegated to only coming form the open sky (cool).

Short of the "color calculus" (I kind of like that, btw), the pre-dawn selection @ shade makes some sense. Of course, you can always use the "wrong" WB to tone things where you want them too.

May 08, 2014 at 09:31 PM
Mister Bean
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · help on an image new take at end

ben egbert wrote:
One more. This time I used shade for WB. This is almost identical to using the white rock for a white point.

This time I used ACR auto to adjust all the sliders and when I opened it, all I did was darken the rock, clone out the tree and used free transform to narrow the sky. Then I sharpened and saved, no LAB, no S/H and no RGB overlay.

This may be your strongest take on it. But to me, that white rock is a problem that there's no real getting around.

May 09, 2014 at 12:09 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · help on an image new take at end

Mister Bean wrote:
This may be your strongest take on it. But to me, that white rock is a problem that there's no real getting around.

I agree and next time I am at Grand Canyon, I will go to either Moran or Lipon point which have a cleaner view. For this shot, a longer lens might have worked. Ir even a (gulp) vertical. A vertical could have gotten sky and canyon at a longer focal length.

I am finished with this image, that is it will not get printed. But it had such promise with the sky that I had to work it.

May 09, 2014 at 10:25 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.