Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Need help! Nvidia v. Radeon?? Best for editing software?

happygirl

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need help! Nvidia v. Radeon?? Best for editing software?

I need help, please. I'm trying to decide between two computers. One has:

Nvidia GeForce GTX 645 1GB GDDR5

The other has:

AMD Radeon™ HD R9 270 2GB GDDR5

I use LR5, Elements and OnOne Perfect Suites 8 (which, according to their website, recommends 1.5 GB for installation, Fast 7200 RPM or SSD drive, OpenGL 4.0 compatible video card with 1GB dedicated video RAM, 8+ GB).

In simply layman terms, can someone please tell me which card is best

Apr 30, 2014 at 08:34 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need help! Nvidia v. Radeon?? Best for editing software?

Take a look at this review. Granted it is for gaming but... .http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=1864&gid2=1724&compare=radeon-r9-270-vs-geforce-gtx-645-oem

I have used both brands and I prefer the NVIDIA brand. I did have major "pixelating" trouble with my GTX cards but NVIDIA replaced them for free.
Dan

Apr 30, 2014 at 08:40 AM
happygirl

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need help! Nvidia v. Radeon?? Best for editing software?

The computer guy mentioned that Nvidia was more for gaming, Radeon more for graphics, but I'm way far from being computer savvy. Why did you prefer Nvidia (in a simple explanation, please).

Apr 30, 2014 at 08:44 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need help! Nvidia v. Radeon?? Best for editing software?

happygirl wrote:
The computer guy mentioned that Nvidia was more for gaming, Radeon more for graphics, but I'm way far from being computer savvy. Why did you prefer Nvidia (in a simple explanation, please).

It's all about memory and processing all the cameras info into a file format(raw,jpeg,tiff..) FAST.
I have had more good luck without problems with Radeon but have NVIDIA in all my new photo editing computers today.
Like I stated, I had trouble with 2 NVIDIA cards already but they were replaced free.
Sorry I can't provide more of a bias!
Just read up. As a last resort go to Puget Systems website and see if they review the cards or call them and ask. They are great!

I am very illiterate when it comes to this. I just read all the reviews and make a choice.
Dan

Apr 30, 2014 at 08:52 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need help! Nvidia v. Radeon?? Best for editing software?

Tricky choice. For GPU calculations the AMD architecture generally smokes the Nvidia - in many OpenCL tests the Radeons are many times faster. I found some benchmarks a few months ago that indicated that Capture One Pro also runs faster on AMD hardware.

However, AMD have a historic weakness in writing drivers and many folks buy Nvidia just because of that.

My feeling is that for photo editing you probably won't "feel" much difference between the two, even if one is faster on paper.

Oh, assuming you will be LR-centric in your workflow - LR doesn't use the GFX card for anything except movie replaying. For that you want the fastest CPU you can afford.

May 01, 2014 at 02:02 AM
Traingineer

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need help! Nvidia v. Radeon?? Best for editing software?

This might be an extremely late reply, but the R9 270 beats the GTX 645 in everything, the only advantage the GTX 645 has is that it uses less power (65W vs 150W) but that's it, also, what kind of cooler do the cards come with?

Jul 08, 2014 at 04:09 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.