Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Which tripod? Really Right Stuff 2-series or 3-series?

mmai

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which tripod? Really Right Stuff 2-series or 3-series?

I am contemplating of purchasing a RRS tripod for pano shooting, even multi-row pano.

My biggest setup is a Canon 5D Mk III with a Canon EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 II.

I know the RRS 3-series would handle the above setup (even with multi-row pano gears) easily. How about the 2-series? Do you have any personal experience with it?

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:40 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which tripod? Really Right Stuff 2-series or 3-series?

No experience, but you can grow into a larger tripod in the future.

Apr 30, 2014 at 05:30 AM
wsheldon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which tripod? Really Right Stuff 2-series or 3-series?

I opted for the TVC-34L over the -24L, because the ~$100 price difference and <1 lb weight difference buys you a much wider, stabler platform for loading down with equipment. I use their macro focusing rails so it's easy to move the center of mass of 5-6 pounds of gear off axis, so having the wide apex and large legs helps keep everything balanced nicely. The 2-series Gitzo wasn't up to that job, and even though the 2-series RRS appears more robust I think the 3-series gives you a nice safety margin for future gear purchases.

You probably can't go wrong either way for a 200mm and pano rig, though. One of the best purchases I've made.

Apr 30, 2014 at 06:34 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which tripod? Really Right Stuff 2-series or 3-series?

i just got a used TVC24 about a month ago. after a few days it has become the central tripod for use overall. but then in my "golf bag" i also have a TVC33 and TQC14 to take on the work where the 24 is too much or too little.

Apr 30, 2014 at 07:26 AM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which tripod? Really Right Stuff 2-series or 3-series?

I have the 24L, a Gitzo 33 series and 55 series and the 24L is more than adequate for a body and 70-200 lens. It would be my choice for that combo.

Apr 30, 2014 at 07:37 AM
mmai

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which tripod? Really Right Stuff 2-series or 3-series?

wsheldon wrote:
I opted for the TVC-34L over the -24L, because the ~$100 price difference and <1 lb weight difference buys you a much wider, stabler platform for loading down with equipment. I use their macro focusing rails so it's easy to move the center of mass of 5-6 pounds of gear off axis, so having the wide apex and large legs helps keep everything balanced nicely. The 2-series Gitzo wasn't up to that job, and even though the 2-series RRS appears more robust I think the 3-series gives you a nice safety margin for future gear purchases.

You probably can't go wrong
...Show more

You bring up a good point with regard to the macro focusing rails as I will be using the pano gears which would include a nodal rail (similar to the macro rail).

I was just wondering if the 2-series would adequately accommodate the center of mass being 5-6 pounds (or more for multi-row gear) off axis.

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which tripod? Really Right Stuff 2-series or 3-series?

I have had both the 2 and 3 series RRS 'pods. I currently have the 24L because it offers all the strength I need for my D800E and 70-200 with occasional 80-400 usage. On occasion I do panos as well, and have found no issues with the 24L. I'd say save the $100 and 1 pound and go with the 24.

Peace,

Todd

Apr 30, 2014 at 02:35 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which tripod? Really Right Stuff 2-series or 3-series?

On a side note - If you're planning to do high volume pano shooting, I highly recommend looking at using a panohead with a click stop rotator. This saves a ton of time, and makes for a more efficient shooting and stitching workflow. I switched from a RRS head to a Nodal Ninja Ultimate M2, and I'm really glad I did. Fit and finish isn't quite as nice on the knobs, but I get more done in less time.

Apr 30, 2014 at 05:50 PM
mmai

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which tripod? Really Right Stuff 2-series or 3-series?

I think I have what I need.

Thanks all for the responses! You guys are the best!

Apr 30, 2014 at 06:33 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which tripod? Really Right Stuff 2-series or 3-series?

The 24 will suit you perfectly. Happy shooting

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:28 PM
mmai

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which tripod? Really Right Stuff 2-series or 3-series?

RoyC wrote:
I have the 24L, a Gitzo 33 series and 55 series and the 24L is more than adequate for a body and 70-200 lens. It would be my choice for that combo.

That's what I have in mind

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:46 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.