New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Spider Pro Holster

matsmithphotography
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Spider Pro Holster

I have been looking into buying a Spider pro Holster to keep the strain off my neck when I have my camera on all day. Many assure that the camera will not drop, but had anyone here had personal experiences with this product? Pros? Cons? Comments? Thanks in advance!

Apr 29, 2014 at 04:09 PM
demdo
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Spider Pro Holster

I'm curious to hear about more experiences myself. Saw one sell for about $100 the other day

Apr 29, 2014 at 04:15 PM
matsmithphotography
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Spider Pro Holster

I have seen some solid deals on here too!

Apr 29, 2014 at 04:26 PM
matsmithphotography
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Spider Pro Holster

Bump?

Apr 30, 2014 at 08:40 PM
mjbetch
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Spider Pro Holster

Although I don't have the Pro, I absolutely LOVE the Black Widow for smaller cameras. I don't even use a strap anymore. It's unfortunate that I bought a Gordy's (neck) strap before I discovered the spider. After 1 week with the Gordy's strap, it's just been sitting there collecting dust. Very convenient. No worrying about cameras swinging everywhere. No shoulder or neck pain. No pain in general.

Gordy's Strap by gbrldz, on Flickr

Apr 30, 2014 at 09:02 PM
SAng
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Spider Pro Holster

I use it for my second body, a gripped D600 and I have it hang on my left side while the D4 is on a DIY R strap on my right. I like it in all respects except one - it is slower on the draw - for me - compared to the R strap.

When looking for a solution for the second body I liked the fact that the Spider holster puts the weight on my hips rather than shoulders - and I haven't been wrong on that. A friend of mine swears by the dual R strap but (other than more weight on the shoulders) I couldn't get over the feeling that it looks a bit like a man-bra.

Edited on Apr 30, 2014 at 09:15 PM · View previous versions

Apr 30, 2014 at 09:08 PM
matsmithphotography
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Spider Pro Holster

Despite being a different model, have you ever experienced the mount loosening while walking around? I would be carrying relatively heavy gear...definitely don't wanna see it on the ground! And i agree, having no weight on my neck would be amazing.

Apr 30, 2014 at 09:11 PM
matsmithphotography
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Spider Pro Holster

SAng are you referring to the Black Rapid strap?

Apr 30, 2014 at 09:12 PM
SAng
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Spider Pro Holster

Yes, sorry should have been clearer but I use a home made version of the Black Rapid strap for the first body.

With the Spider holster I've never had problems with any part of it loosening. Which brings up a minor point - once the plate is installed the pin protrudes from the body and doesn't fit in my Pelican case well. It turns out to be probably a plus in my case, because I install the plate only on site and can make sure that it is screwed on nice and tight at that point. I like that the plate has built-in storage for the hex key as it makes all this easier for me.

Edited on Apr 30, 2014 at 09:29 PM · View previous versions

Apr 30, 2014 at 09:23 PM
matsmithphotography
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Spider Pro Holster

I could see the issue with the case. I have a 1560 myself. I'm curious if I could pull out just one block of the "pick and pluck" foam to accommodate for the mount? And I hear that the tool can easily fall out of the plate, have you noticed that?

Apr 30, 2014 at 09:28 PM
SAng
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Spider Pro Holster

Would depend on how you load it and how much space you have, I would think. Not possible in my case because I use a 1510 with the dividers.

The possibility of the key falling out of the plate has crossed my mind more than once. In reality though, no problems at all.

Apr 30, 2014 at 09:37 PM
matsmithphotography
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Spider Pro Holster

In case you want to cover yourself (pertaining to the key) I read that if you get a small "O" ring from your local hardware store and slip it into the end. It'll prevent it from accidentally getting lost.

Apr 30, 2014 at 09:41 PM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Spider Pro Holster

I have the Spider Pro single camera holster and love it. I saw a video of Lindsay Adler using it during a 3 day creativelive session. I checked out the Spider Pro videos on the website as well. Having used it for about 6 months now, I can say that they live up to the hype. They are very sturdy, hold the camera well and easy to use. Things that I have noticed since using it. I have a small home studio which can get tight on space with all the lights up. Therefore, I have to be careful walking around things so I don't bump my lighting (which are weighted down) or bump the camera into a wall. I definitely prefer having the holster to using a strap or setting the camera down especially since I don't have an assistant. A very minor issue is using it with a shirt that is NOT tucked in. You need to pull the shirt up a little to give you room to move. I like their new pouch for a 70-200 lens. The hex key is locked into place with a spring actuation and is very solid. I don't have concerns of it getting lost.

May 01, 2014 at 02:50 PM
matsmithphotography
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Spider Pro Holster

Interesting, this brings some piece of mind. Thanks! Perhaps they made a few upgrades to the system, the reviews I read must've been older (I should read the dates...). I'm definitely gonna pick up one of these in a little while.

May 01, 2014 at 02:58 PM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Spider Pro Holster

You're welcome. As a side note, the hex key is a standard hex key. If it is a concern, just get a spare one.

May 01, 2014 at 03:03 PM
falconbach
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Spider Pro Holster

Sorry for bringing this old thread back to life... but I'm wondering about buying this for my cameras. I have Nikon D80 (which hopefully will soon be upgraded) and Nikon D800 with 24-70 and 80-200 lenses or two primes for pet photography.
So I'm wondering if the belt can slide down the hips with all this weight or will it sit comfortable in place even though you are squatting alot?

Oct 27, 2014 at 04:51 PM
falconbach
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Spider Pro Holster

Also is it comfortable while hiking in difficult terrain?

Oct 27, 2014 at 04:56 PM
matsmithphotography
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Spider Pro Holster

I use my spider pro for weddings or just walking around. I have a d800 and I use anything from a 50 prime, 80-200, macros etc.with a flash as well. And I find that it doesn't weigh me down at all. My belt is rather tight though, but not to the point that it's uncomfortable. The only issue when crouching down is that the end of your flash may touch the ground

Oct 27, 2014 at 05:00 PM
matsmithphotography
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Spider Pro Holster

And yes, I also use it in various terrains. It's comfortable for me. But, everyone have an opinion.

Oct 27, 2014 at 05:01 PM
jcunwired
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Spider Pro Holster

I have no experience with Spider Pro, but here is an alternative that works very well for me. I have a Peak Designs Capture Pro on a Think Tank pro speed belt and another that is attached to whichever backpack/daypack I am using at the time.

https://www.peakdesign.com/landing/capturepro/

Oct 27, 2014 at 06:55 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.