New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Combined workflow for Lightroom and Capture One Pro

cambyses
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Combined workflow for Lightroom and Capture One Pro

Ok, I decided to take advantage of C1Pro7 discount and buy it. So we now have both LR5 and C1Pro7. I am new to C1. Having played with it for a few days now, I do like the initial rendering I get from it as well as some of the adjustments better than LR. But at the same time, I think at least for now I like to stay with LR for our digital asset management, including cataloging, and ranking/culling. I also like to continue using some of the Nik/Topaz/onOne plug-ins on some of the pictures.

So my question is this: are there people here who use both LR and C1Pro? And if so, what is your workflow? I would appreciate any suggestions/recommendations.

1) do you import all the pictures from a shoot to both LR and C1Pro? Or do you import all to either LR or C1Pro, and then only import a selected few to the other?
2) do you use the catalogue feature in C1Pro7, or do you just stick with sessions?
3) do you use any plugins in LR? And if so, do you do that after exporting a TIFF from C1Pro and then importing it back into LR?

Thanks.

Apr 29, 2014 at 04:05 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Combined workflow for Lightroom and Capture One Pro

I use C1 pro to convert to a Tiff and then use ACR and photoshop to finish them off. I use Nik plugins in photoshop. I have Lightroom and rarely use it as i can achieve the same from ACR. I would assume you could convert RAW to tiff using C1 and then do the final edits in Lightroom.

Apr 30, 2014 at 09:19 AM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Combined workflow for Lightroom and Capture One Pro

Thanks Bruce for the comment. Yes, as far as editing goes, I will use C1Pro to do the initial RAW conversion and generate TIFF files for a selected number of pictures, and I would then edit them in LR/PS. I guess my question is more on the asset management side, i.e., how to efficiently manage the import process, image directories, and cataloging when using both LR and C1Pro. Should I just stick with sessions in C1Pro7 (and not use its new catalog feature)? i.e., for every shoot, I would create a new session in C1Pro7 and import all RAW files using C1Pro7. I would then do the culling and ranking as well as basic RAW adjustments (WB, etc.) within C1Pro7, and then generate TIFF files only for a selected number of images that I like to further edit in LR5. I think I would also import/add ALL of the RAW files to my LR5 catalog and add keywords, etc. in LR5 just so I can continue using LR5 for all our image searches, etc.

Since I posted my question, I cam across this, and I guess I would follow a similar workflow:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/c1_lr_workflow.shtml

Still I would certainly appreciate any other comments/suggestions anyone else may have.

Thanks...

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:47 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Combined workflow for Lightroom and Capture One Pro

Just did another search right now, and came across this thread as well:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=60258.0

A good suggestion may be to start with importing all RAW files into LR5 first (instead of first importing into C1Pro7), then do the culling/ranking and add keywords in LR5. Then make sure to set LR5 for "Automatically Write Changes Into XMP". By doing this, LR5 would write the metadata for individual images into their associated XMP files (instead of just the LR5 catalog file). And then import all RAW images into C1Pro7. Now, C1Pro7 would be able to read the XMP files and hence would have access to all the rankings and keywords as previously set in LR5. Continue with RAW editing and initial conversion in C1Pro7. Then save TIFF files of selected images, and import them back into LR for possible further edits in LR as well as for completeness of the LR catalog database. Makes sense?

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:58 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Combined workflow for Lightroom and Capture One Pro

^^ Thats pretty much exactly what i do, though i don't use C1 for that many images so i can't say how well it would work in a high throughput situation.

It speeds things along to set up a LR auto-import directory and export from C1 to there.

May 01, 2014 at 01:30 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.