New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · A Photo Project on my Dogs

LMMphoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Photo Project on my Dogs

Hey all! Been a while since I posted, but I thought I would share my final project images from my photo class this semester. The project went really well for me - so well in fact that I have been asked to show these images in a local art walk this summer! (I will be hosted by a pet boutique).

C&C always welcome - can't improve without it!

Hope everyone out there in the FM world is having a great spring (or fall, for the southerners)!

I included my artist statement-

The Color Love

“I once heard a woman who had lost her dog say that she felt as though a color were suddenly missing from her world: the dog had introduced to her field of vision some previously unavailable hue and without a dog, that color was gone. That seemed to capture the experience of loving a dog with eminent simplicity. I'd amend it only slightly and say that if we are open to what they have to give, dogs can introduce us to several colors with names like wildness, nurturance, trust and joy.”
― Carolyn Knapp

I struggled to write a statement about this work that spoke about it earnestly. It seems so trivial, taking pictures of my dogs. And yet, as all dog lovers know, there is something unquestionably profound about the bond we share with these slobbery, smelly, hairy creatures. They can fill our lives with so much. So much joy. So much laughter. So much adventure. So much hair. So much love. And when they are gone, always too soon, they leave a dog-shaped hole in our hearts. How do you express that in words?

I stumbled across the above quote late one night and it struck a chord: describing the love between two beings who don’t share a species, let alone a language, is like describing a color to someone who’s never seen it – the words are almost impossible to form although the picture of it is so clear in your mind. And so, this is my ode to the colors my dogs bring into my life. Colors with names like wildness, nurturance, trust, and joy. Colors with names like devotion, boundlessness, protection. Colors with names like love.

Edited on Apr 29, 2014 at 01:51 PM · View previous versions

Apr 29, 2014 at 01:32 PM
LMMphoto

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A Photo Project on my Dogs

And a few more. (Don't have Flikr, sorry!)

Edited on Apr 29, 2014 at 02:32 PM · View previous versions

Apr 29, 2014 at 01:33 PM
KaBudokan
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A Photo Project on my Dogs

I really like 2, 3, and 5 from the first post - probably because they're each a little unique and offer different perspectives. (Numbering the photos will help others offer specific feedback.)

Nice work!

Apr 29, 2014 at 01:40 PM
LMMphoto

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A Photo Project on my Dogs

Knew I forgot something!

Apr 29, 2014 at 01:51 PM
mrobenalt

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A Photo Project on my Dogs

I adore these shots... AND the dogs! Awesome!

Apr 29, 2014 at 01:54 PM
shymon
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A Photo Project on my Dogs

Great job on the project! Where was 8 taken? Looks familiar but I can't quite place it.

Apr 29, 2014 at 04:01 PM
LMMphoto

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A Photo Project on my Dogs

8 was taken outside of Bozeman, MT in the Hyalite area of the Gallatin Mountains.

Apr 29, 2014 at 04:11 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A Photo Project on my Dogs

Good job. Several nice photos.

Apr 29, 2014 at 05:31 PM
LMMphoto

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A Photo Project on my Dogs

Thanks Steady, I was hoping you'd pop your head in

Apr 29, 2014 at 05:42 PM
Natalie H
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A Photo Project on my Dogs

These are beautiful (especially 1, 4, 5 & 6). Gorgeous words, too. Thanks for posting your images of these hairy people.

Apr 30, 2014 at 06:23 AM
Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A Photo Project on my Dogs

I really love this. Very nice job and beautiful dogs!

Apr 30, 2014 at 01:22 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A Photo Project on my Dogs

Nice, ENJOY!!!!

Apr 30, 2014 at 02:52 PM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A Photo Project on my Dogs

Absolutely incredible images here. As someone who loves my dog more than almost any human I've ever known, these images just do it for me. I really have this feeling that I know your dogs' personalities without ever meeting them.

Very well done!!!

Apr 30, 2014 at 03:09 PM
Wes Bailey
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A Photo Project on my Dogs

Wow! 5 & 8 are outstanding! Great work! Inspires me to spend even more time with my doggie family and always keep the camera available!

My wife and I have 3 border collies - 2 are 7-years old the other is around 10 (all rescue dogs). I've been documenting their lives with us quite a bit.

Thanks again for sharing!

Apr 30, 2014 at 03:18 PM
purplerain

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A Photo Project on my Dogs

Love the shots and dogs

Apr 30, 2014 at 06:05 PM
poshyp
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A Photo Project on my Dogs

Very nice.

May 01, 2014 at 09:51 AM
JesseShotland
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A Photo Project on my Dogs

Do I sense a 200 f/2?

beautiful images. I love your shallow depth of field with the subjects far away.

May 01, 2014 at 11:08 AM
LMMphoto

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A Photo Project on my Dogs

You are spot on Jesse! In all but 3 and 8. 3 is the 24-105, and 8 is the 24-70 if I remember correctly.

Thank you everyone for the nice comments! Wes - border collies are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

May 01, 2014 at 11:48 AM
sidefunk
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A Photo Project on my Dogs

Nos. 2 & 5 for me. The colors and light are devine. No. 2 feels like a doggy life style shot. Congrats on the showing, it is well deserved.

May 02, 2014 at 08:59 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.