New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · My Switch To Fuji Mini Review

paparazzinick
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My Switch To Fuji Mini Review

I will keep this as short as possible but try and give as much detail as possible as to why I switched and how I feel about my switch. Sorry, I am not posting pics because this isn't a nitpick review on details and precise quality. This is about how this system works out for the wedding photographers and portrait people.

First, let me tell you what I do. I shoot weddings, kids and corporate stuff. I was a Nikon user and used a D7100, D600 and D3s before I left. I was a prime shooter and shot the Tokina 17, Nikon 28, 35, 50, 85, and 180. I felt there was nothing wrong with how Nikon rendered my images I took. It was just heavy. With a recent neck and shoulder injury, I had to do something. It was both get rid of my battery grips on the D600, D7100 and hire someone to carry my bag, or find a lighter alternative. I was always intrigued and very interested in the Fuji X system since the XP1 came out. Back in November when they did the lens deal, I purchased an XE1 for a crazy discount with the 35 1.4.

I shot home stuff with that for a month and then took it on a shoot with me for paid work. I fell in love with it and decided that moving to Fuji was something I needed to do. Not only was it so much lighter, but the image quality was just great. So great that I now shoot JPG and RAW and most times deliver the JPG and only use the RAW when there is more work needed on a particular shot.

What I did in December and January was sell off all my Nikon Gear. I waited until right before the rumored lens deal was about to happen again. Then I picked up an XE2, 18, 27, 60. Then I added a Rokinon 8mm fisheye and 85 1.4 too. I loved every single lens. I shot my first wedding with all Fuji gear and it went great. But I quickly realized what I was missing and need ASAP. Luckily the lens deal was still going on. I picked up the 55-200 and the 23 and 14. Sold off the 18, 27 and 60 and got 95% of the money back I spent. I needed the 14 to be a bit wider than the 18, even though the 18 was amazing. I got the 23 because the 27 was too close to the 35 and found myself not using it at all. I got rid of the 60 because I knew I wanted the 56 and couldn’t keep both. Plus, I had an old Nikon MF macro I use since I mainly use the macro in manual anyways. I added one of the flashes too, just to see how I liked it or if I would be adding other flashes instead.

I had my next wedding coming up and finally found a 56 and XT1 in stock. They both came the day before the wedding. I shot the entire wedding with the Xt1 with the 23 on it and the XE2 with the 56 and 14 switching. I have not been happier with a system in a long time. Another great wedding with the Fuji X system. I did find one annoyance at this wedding. The lack of AF Assist on the flash sucks. I wish it had it, but it doesn’t. So I had to think of how I was going to fix that problem.

So the details.

Fuji XE1 - Great camera. So simple yet so complex. It is not the best camera around as it lacks a lot that some people desire in a wedding camera. For me, it was good enough and got the job done. It is a little bit slow and clunky, but it still captures a great image if exposed properly. I like the old school look and feel and controls. I like how you just turn the aperture ring on the lens and the shutter dial on top. I love the fact the eyepiece is an LCD and previews the image after you take it. No more chimping on the back and missing shots. But then again this makes it a tad slower and is where people talk about the Fuji blackout. Just turn off image preview and this is fixed. Looking at the images in the eyepiece can be a bit misleading. The images looked just ok, but when viewed on the computer, things looked great. So it can be a bit misleading. Also, the XE1 seems to have a bit of a problem locking focus with the 56 and 35 in darker lighting. One other problem I don’t like is changing the focus points. It’s kind of a pain when you are in a hurry at weddings. You have to hit a button then use the control pad to change it.

Fuji XE2 - Same as the XE1 but better, faster and better eyepiece LCD resolution. The focus was a lot better than the XE1 with the 35 and 56 and I am sure this is due to the different focusing system. Images are almost identical to the XE1 so there was not really any gain in image quality. This camera was mainly an upgrade in system performance. I do wish it had a dedicated view mode button, but I will live without one.

Fuji XT1 - This is in a whole different world than the XE1 but not too much better than the XE2. Focus is amazing, images are a step up from the XE1 and XE2, and controls are even better - if you like that old school feel. I love having the ISO dial on top now. With the ability to change each button on the control pad to be the focus point selection setting, it fixed my problem. I think I will be selling the XE1 and getting another XT1 and using the XE2 as the backup. I love how the SD card goes on the side, instead of the bottom.

Fuji 14, 23, 35, 56, 55-200 - All are sharp wide open and decently fast in focus. Colors it renders are pretty true to life and makes matching skin tones so much easier than my Nikon.

Fuji 18, 27, 60 - were also good lenses but the 18 was a bit soft on the edges for me and the 60 was slower to focus but not terrible.

Fuji Flash - No Focus Assist. Huge problem for me. But this was easily fixed with adding a small low power LED light for the darker receptions. With the XT1, I have to use it less, but with the XE2 it is needed and it does help tons. I have switched a lot of my lighting to off camera, so I use the LED on camera to help lock focus.

In summary, I am 90% happy with my move. The 10% I am not happy with will either be fixed, added or adjusted over time. The AF assist on the flash hurts. I miss it from my Nikon. The lack of long fast lenses is killing me, but the Rokinon 85 1.4 and Fuji 55-200 will do the job until Fuji releases their 70-200 equivalent. For those people that will ask how it performs at higher ISO, I will say it’s not bad at all. I have shot up to 6400 with minimal issues. It is just as good as the cameras I was using, but then again I don’t go above 1600 often. When I do, I know I can go to 3200 and be safe and then push 6400 in a pinch and get a usable image.

Aside from image quality and performance, a few of the things I like a lot from my move are....
Clients say I am more hidden now as they don't hear a huge slap when the shutter goes. This can be critical in some circumstances and it has helped me gather images that would have ruined the mood with my past cameras. My back isn't killing me by the end of the day from carrying a bag with 7 lenses and 3 cameras. Actually, I have a smaller bag I use when walking around at weddings now that holds 2 lenses and batteries so I don't have to go back to my main bag as often. I grab 3 lenses and a body I need for that situation and go with it.

If I had to make this switch again, would I do it? Yes, Yes I would. The only thing I would have done differently would be to buy the 14, 23 and 35 from the beginning instead of trying to go cheaper. I knew I would have ended up with those lenses anyways.

I hope this helps some of you with you similar decisions. I know it has helped a few people local to me as a bunch of us have made similar moves.

Last but not least, Fuji is a very capable system to sue at weddings, if you know its limitations and know how to adjust to work around them. I am very happy with my move.

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:46 AM
mjbetch
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My Switch To Fuji Mini Review

Agreed. Moved from Nikon / DSLRs in general, and haven't even thought about looking back.

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:22 PM
benee
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My Switch To Fuji Mini Review

Very cool - thanks for the thoughts. I am on the fence about selling my trusty 5d classics and going all Fuji - I have the XE-1/18-55 now and it is excellent. Fuji cameras are so much more enjoyable to use, even if I like the final output of the 5d a tad more.

Quick Question - for the LED light, how does this work, do you just hand hold it, or does it slip in the hotshoe, or what?

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:32 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My Switch To Fuji Mini Review

benee wrote:
Very cool - thanks for the thoughts. I am on the fence about selling my trusty 5d classics and going all Fuji - I have the XE-1/18-55 now and it is excellent. Fuji cameras are so much more enjoyable to use, even if I like the final output of the 5d a tad more.

Quick Question - for the LED light, how does this work, do you just hand hold it, or does it slip in the hotshoe, or what?

I actually got one of these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/743055-REG/Vello_CB_600_Straight_Flash_Bracket.html

It holds a small $20 led video light. Just enough power to get some light on the subject but not so over powering it blinds them or affects the picture.

I agree, Fuji is a lot of fun to use and shoot with. It makes me take my time and think things out more. With Nikon, I was shooting 1500-2000ish photos per wedding. Delivering 600-800. Now I shoot 1000 ish and still delivering 800 or so photos.

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:51 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My Switch To Fuji Mini Review

mjbetch wrote:
Agreed. Moved from Nikon / DSLRs in general, and haven't even thought about looking back.

I do miss the DSLR's since I have used them for so long. I was affraid that I would have trouble forgetting my fingure combos on the camera from the DSLR and learning new combos on where my fingers roam to do certain things. It didnt take but 2 or so weeks.

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:53 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My Switch To Fuji Mini Review

Thanks for the review! I really can't believe they don't have AF assist on their flashes, as that solves a ton of focusing problems, but you've certainly got me thinking.

Apr 29, 2014 at 01:04 PM
MikeNakhla
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My Switch To Fuji Mini Review

Thanks for sharing - contemplating a similar move myself. Would you mind sharing any of your images from your fuji-only weddings?

Mike

Apr 29, 2014 at 02:01 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My Switch To Fuji Mini Review

mnakhla wrote:
Thanks for sharing - contemplating a similar move myself. Would you mind sharing any of your images from your fuji-only weddings?

Mike

yea as soon as I get around to making a few blog posts.

I see your in Hershey. I am out that way at least once a month. I will be there on the 24th to shoot a wedding at the hershey Hotel.

Apr 29, 2014 at 02:23 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My Switch To Fuji Mini Review

Glad to hear things worked out for you - I hopefully get my Fuji XT1/14/35 next Monday - really excited to see what's changed since my XE1.

Apr 29, 2014 at 02:48 PM
Mike1.6
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My Switch To Fuji Mini Review

Thanks for the mini - review Nick. I'd been waiting for someone that shoots a lot with a DSLR to make some comparisons to using the Fuji X system. You answered a lot of questions for me. I'm still a bit concerned about the lack of an autofocus assist light built into any of the Fuji system but I like your solution.

Apr 29, 2014 at 02:49 PM
benee
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My Switch To Fuji Mini Review

Mike1.6 wrote:
Thanks for the mini - review Nick. I'd been waiting for someone that shoots a lot with a DSLR to make some comparisons to using the Fuji X system. You answered a lot of questions for me. I'm still a bit concerned about the lack of an autofocus assist light built into any of the Fuji system but I like your solution.

I believe the XE-1 BODY has an AF assist light, but it is wimpy. The fuji speedlites dont' have an AF assist lamp, which limit their useability.

Apr 29, 2014 at 02:52 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My Switch To Fuji Mini Review

I've recently done the same, dumping my Canon bodies for an X-T1. I now own the Rokinon 8mm version II, Fuji 14, 23, 35, 56, kit and 55-200. I also have a Sony A7R with both native lenses, Zeiss ZEs with Metabones adapter and other alt glass. I love the Sony but I find myself picking up the X-T1 more often than not. I haven't thought much about the megapixel difference between the two. I'm starting to wonder whether I can be satisfied with just the fuji. My shooting is natural and urban landscapes. The colors of the Fuji are outstanding (jpeg and RAW).

Apr 29, 2014 at 02:56 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My Switch To Fuji Mini Review

Great insight in your process of switching. I am considering adding the X-T1 to my DLSR kit. Looking for a small(ish) camera that I can take with me all of the time.

I am very intrigued by the face detection focus on mirror less cameras. The idea of letting the camera track the face all over the frame without having to fiddle with AF points appeals to me. I always think the fiddling with AF points stands in the way of shooting. That's why I use theca enter AF point of DLSR's 90% of the time.

Do you use face detection on your X-T1? If so, what are your thoughts on this?

Apr 29, 2014 at 03:32 PM
esanchez
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My Switch To Fuji Mini Review

Same here I had the X-E1 and liked it, but between my 6D and the X-T1 I tend to carry and use the X-T1 more and more. Love the JPGs when properly exposed. The more I use it the more comfortable I get just relying on it. 6D gets used less and less, though I love the 6D and 135mm combo... I sold all my Canon gear and kept the 6D, 40mm 2.8 and 24-105mm for now... On the Fuji side I have the X-T1, 35mm, 60mm,kit lens and 55-200mm. The kit lens tends to cover everything between 18-35mm then I use the 35mm or jump to the 55-200mm. The 60mm gets the least use.

Apr 29, 2014 at 03:39 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My Switch To Fuji Mini Review

Interesting read, cheers I'm so tempted to chop in my gear for Fuji, but I also like to shoot motorsports and airshows... So I need to hang on until this super tele is revealed and see how people get on with it. I've thought about keeping a 7D and long lens alongside an X system setup but I just don't like the idea of a two system setup.

Apr 29, 2014 at 03:51 PM
bcaslis
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · My Switch To Fuji Mini Review

The main things that got me to change to the Fuji system with the X-T1 were the outstanding colors, the great prime lenses, and the great EVF. For the first time in a long time I'm not waiting to see what is coming out next.

Apr 29, 2014 at 04:07 PM
bcaslis
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · My Switch To Fuji Mini Review

Daan B wrote:
Great insight in your process of switching. I am considering adding the X-T1 to my DLSR kit. Looking for a small(ish) camera that I can take with me all of the time.

I am very intrigued by the face detection focus on mirror less cameras. The idea of letting the camera track the face all over the frame without having to fiddle with AF points appeals to me. I always think the fiddling with AF points stands in the way of shooting. That's why I use theca enter AF point of DLSR's 90% of the time.

Do you use face
...Show more

I've used the face detect on the X-T1 and it works well much of the time if the face is level up and down. If someone has their head tilted, it can detect but has a hard time getting the focus on the eye. I turn it off most of the time since with it on, you can't move focus points at all. That's the main problem I have with it. But if you are in situation were you are mostly shooting people, it works OK.

Apr 29, 2014 at 04:09 PM
taemo
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · My Switch To Fuji Mini Review

great mini review!
have you thought about getting an X100s too?
just an amazing 35mm equiv camera, had a great time shooting my cousins wedding with it, light and silent.
pair that with your X-T1 + 56mm and you have a killer combo.

plus being able to shoot with flash at 1/1000s can give you interesting shots

Apr 29, 2014 at 04:16 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · My Switch To Fuji Mini Review

I'm on a slightly different track. I use an X-E2, with most XF lenses, and an X100s. I recently switched from using an X Pro-1 and X100 (which preceded the X-E2 and X100s) for intimate events, like Zen meditation and ceremonies, to a pair of 6D with f/2.8 zooms. The Canon gear is definitely larger and heavier, but the 6D is much 'softer' in terms of sound, and has more reliable AF in low light. As far as differences in lens size goes, it really doesn't matter so much in this circumstance, in comparison with sound. I continue to use the X100s for this (silent and deadly). The X-E2 still has an active role for me, as do my 1DX and 1DIV. No one "set" of gear could replace all of the others, for the wide variety of photography that I do. I'm good with that.

Apr 29, 2014 at 04:19 PM
mjhedge
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · My Switch To Fuji Mini Review

Thanks for your thoughtful review. I am in the process of moving with both an X-T1 and an X-E2. I love taking pictures with both cameras. Still trying to manage capturing moving subjects a little. I haven't yet pulled the trigger to liquidate my Canon 5D Mk III and lenses.

Apr 29, 2014 at 07:15 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.