Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Roadtrip from Ohio to California (recommendations needed)

shoenberg3
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Roadtrip from Ohio to California (recommendations needed)

After wrapping up a degree in Ohio this June, I will be driving back to Northern California and plan to do some sight-seeing on the way. I know it's quite a detour but I conceive that I will pass through S. Dakota (Badlands, Rushmore) then to Wyoming (Yellowstone, Teton), then south to Utah (Bryce, Horseshoe Bend, North Rim Grand Canyon, Zion) and then to sweet home. I know these are the major spots I would want to hit before getting back home. But I am wondering of any other spots that I should consider hitting on the way; it needs not to be necessarily landscape and can encompass other points of interest (historical sites, oddities etc.)

Particularly, I am not as familiar with the large number of Midwest states that I would crossing and S Dakota/Wyoming/Northern Utah are also bit unfamiliar to me.

I would appreciate any advice.

Apr 28, 2014 at 07:40 PM
John Zeman
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Roadtrip from Ohio to California (recommendations needed)

I'd add Devils Tower to that list since it's not far from the Black Hills region and basically on the way to Yellowstone. You mentioned Bryce, which is remarkable but I'd also add Capitol Reef and the scenic Highway 12 to Bryce Canyon as well. All sorts of photo ops in southern Utah, you could spend a month there alone easily.

In the upper midwest where I live there's not much here that you won't see in Ohio IMO, as you go west it all starts at the Badlands.

Apr 28, 2014 at 09:58 PM
conebeam
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Roadtrip from Ohio to California (recommendations needed)

While going to Yellowstone, consider taking Beartooth Highway. Spend the night at Red Lodge, a small town at the foot of the hill on Hwy 212. Beartooth is one of the best drive, uphill to about 10,000 ft.

Alternatively, after you see Black Hills, Badlands, and Devils Tower, take Rt 16 from Buffalo area. The drive from Thermopolis to Shoshoni is absolutely gorgeous. As you take Hwy 26 towards Grand Teton, the landscape is wonderful. If you take this route, you will not be taking Beartooth.

Have fun,

Mansur

Apr 29, 2014 at 05:51 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Roadtrip from Ohio to California (recommendations needed)

What a great opportunity you have. How much time are you giving yourself?

You have many wonderful places to stop. And if your time is limited I would forgo Rushmore. I would start north and head down towards the Grand Canyon.

i agree the Beartooth highway from Red Lodge is a beautiful drive. There are some very nice lakes along the drive you might like. It will bring you to the east side of Yellowstone where you can spend sometime in the Lamar valley. A great wildlife shooting area.

Be sure to give yourself enough time at the Grand Tetons. My favorite place on earth. There are some nice hikes around some smaller lakes that sit at the base of the Tetons.

Grant

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:54 AM
shoenberg3
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Roadtrip from Ohio to California (recommendations needed)

I really appreciate all the advice here. I actually don't have that much time (8 days is probably the plan for now). I would love to hear about the recommended viewpoints and short hikes around Teton!

I am considering skipping Rushmore but I thought I might hit Crazy Horse and Needles Highway too while I am in the area. Perhaps these POI aren't that worthwhile and I should divest more time into Yellowstone/Teton/Utah

Great to hear about Beartooth highway; definitely did not know about it before!

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:05 PM
shoenberg3
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Roadtrip from Ohio to California (recommendations needed)

This is the tentative schedule for now; very packed I admit, but this is sort of the norm for me. The first day I might not get an early start hence the "shorter" drive.
The first number might indicate the drive time (as determined by google maps; I typically shave some off their estimates though) to destination followed by (+) time I plan to spend there sight seeing.

Day 1 Cincinnati to iowa city (drive: 7 hr) GAIN HOUR (timezone)
Day 2 Iowa city to badlands (drive: 9 hrs+2 hr) badland to rapid city (drive: 1 hr) total: 12hr GAIN HOUR (timezone)
Day 3 Rushmore/crazy horse/needles (drive: 1 hr+1) Take 212 to cooke city, mt (drive: 7 hr 30min+1 for beartooth)
Total 10:30 to 11 hr
Day 4 early start (6am) sight seeing 8 hours (lower falls, inspiration point, artist point, norris basin, upper geyser basin(faithful), midway geyser (fairy trail to see grand prismatic), biscuit (sapphire), black rock basin , west thumb. overall driving time to Jackson from cooke city (drive: 4 hours) Total time: 12 hours
Day 5 teton (sightseeing 4 hrs) panguitch, ut (drive: 8hr) total time: 12 hours
Day 6 bryce (3 hours) north rim (drive:3 +3 hr) page (drive:3 hr) total time: 12 hours
Day 7 horseshoe bend (1 hr) lower antelope (3 hr) zion (canyon junction at sunset, emerald pool, a little bit narrows – 5 hr ) overall driving time to hurricane from page (3 hr) total time: 12 hours
Day 8 st George to las vegas stop lunch home (10 hr) GAIN ONE HOUR

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:10 PM
conebeam
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Roadtrip from Ohio to California (recommendations needed)

Hi, you know that you will no longer be in the plains of Ohio. Driving in the hills in narrow roads will be slow. Just the Needles highway will take more than an hour. If you decide to detour to Custer State park (must see for buffaloes), you will need a few more hours. Beartooth is easily a few hours. Remember to fill up gas in Red Lodge. No gas for next few hours (or at least 50 cents more per gallon).
Also remember to keep a light fleece. You will see snow in Beartooth area in June or July.
See my daughter's youtube on beartooth.

Apr 30, 2014 at 05:05 PM
shoenberg3
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Roadtrip from Ohio to California (recommendations needed)

I was planning to only see part of the Needles highway and not drive through the entire thing. Good advice for filling up at Red Lodge. Nice video of the beartooth. Any advice on short hikes/places to hit during my short stays at Teton, Badlands, and North Rim Grand Canyon?Thanks!

Apr 30, 2014 at 05:08 PM
wabrock

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Roadtrip from Ohio to California (recommendations needed)

I've done a similar drive before (Midwest to Norcal). You will have a blast!

Apr 30, 2014 at 08:05 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Roadtrip from Ohio to California (recommendations needed)

Sounds like a great road trip. Busy for sure!

Tetons: I often take a simple hike around String lake to stretch my legs.

http://enjoyyourparks.com/GrandTetonParkStringLake.html

It will take some time driving though Yellowstone. Lots of people/cars in June and travel can be slowwww.

Have fun and be sure to post some pics.

Grant

May 01, 2014 at 10:31 AM
shoenberg3
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Roadtrip from Ohio to California (recommendations needed)

A shameless bump; thank you for all you have contributed.
I am still looking for more very short hikes/viewpoints that should not be missed during my stay in Teton

May 10, 2014 at 07:13 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Roadtrip from Ohio to California (recommendations needed)

Just a possible alternate to the "northern" approach. I'd consider hightailing it out I-80 to Colorado, drop down I-25, head through Rocky Mtn. Natl. Park, then south through mountains to Hwy 50 West to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Dropping down through Telluride and Silverton on Hwy 550 then west to Southern Utah where you can either do the Canyonlands thing or further west to Bryce and Zion Canyon's. Then if it were me, I'd take I-15 to Vegas than head up towards Hwy 395 past Mt. Whitney, Bishop and Muir Wilderness and cut across Hwy 120 Tioga Pass back to the Bay Area that way. Mainly because I live in Northern Utah and have seen the places you've had recommended already ;-)

May 11, 2014 at 10:06 AM
shoenberg3
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Roadtrip from Ohio to California (recommendations needed)

That's certainly an alternative I considered! But being based in Northern California, Yellowstone, Teton etc. are harder to reach!

May 12, 2014 at 04:47 PM
Rorence

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Roadtrip from Ohio to California (recommendations needed)

Hello, I have no experience about the trip that travel from Ohio to California. The road trip to me is from Los Angeles to Washington. When start this trip, you may need to bring a charger with you. Maybe you want to charge shaver, camera or other tool in this trip. The charger to me is Bestek 200w power inverter. The way is use this charger is to connect with car cigarette lighter charger outlet. If you are interested in knowing more about this charger, you can search bestekmall on Google. Wish this point is helpful to you.

Jul 09, 2017 at 10:28 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Roadtrip from Ohio to California (recommendations needed)

So.... how did it go?
8 days (more like 5 after driving) to "hit" all those destinations is absurd, but here's hoping you got out of the car long enough to take some nice shots.

Jul 09, 2017 at 11:28 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Roadtrip from Ohio to California (recommendations needed)

holy bump! 3 years ago?

Jul 15, 2017 at 09:34 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Roadtrip from Ohio to California (recommendations needed)

Old post, fresh Spam?

Jul 15, 2017 at 11:01 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Roadtrip from Ohio to California (recommendations needed)

Yes, Rorence was checking in from the Shameless Commerce Division.

Jul 16, 2017 at 11:03 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.