New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Panasonic GH4 now available with limited stock

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Panasonic GH4 now available with limited stock

Panasonic GH4 now available with limited stock
The newly released Lumix DMC-GH4 4K Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera is now available with limited stock at B&H Photo for $1,698

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 4K at B&H photo

Specs:
  1. 16.05 MP Digital Live MOS Sensor
  2. DCI 4K 4096x2160 at 24p
  3. UHD 4K 3840x2160 at 30p/24p
  4. Full HD up to 60p
  5. 3.0" 1,036k-Dot OLED Monitor
  6. 2,359K-Dot OLED Live View Finder
  7. Support for 59.94p, 23.98p, 50p, & 24p
  8. 4:2:2 8-Bit or 10-Bit HDMI Output
  9. High-Speed 49-Point Autofocus
  10. Magnesium Alloy, Weather-Sealed Body

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:18 AM
MikeW
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Panasonic GH4 now available with limited stock

that top knob looks HUGE

Apr 28, 2014 at 03:31 PM
trev2401
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Panasonic GH4 now available with limited stock

That's what she said!

(that's on my order list)

Apr 28, 2014 at 08:18 PM
lambers

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Panasonic GH4 now available with limited stock

trev2401 wrote:
That's what she said!

(that's on my order list)

Nice body ... shame about the sensor

Apr 29, 2014 at 06:48 PM
HopeIsEternal
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Panasonic GH4 now available with limited stock

lambers wrote:

I don't really understand sensor size complaints about m4/3rds when it comes to video. In photography, limited DoF is worth a lot but for video and movie making it is rarely a good thing since almost all documentary videos needs good reasonably large DoF to fully capture unrehearsed / live events and even in movies you still want enough DoF to keep all actors in focus without requiring that they all be exactly in the same limited plane of focus. And in any case if you need limited DoF for some scenes there are very fast manual DSLR, cine and c-mount lenses that will work for you even on the smaller GH4 sensor.

I guess the only real advantage of A7s for video is low light performance but that is really only a strength over GH4 when you insist on shooting in really low ambient light. Otherwise you can just add more artificial light like with 90% of all movies out there.

At least this camera will actually allow you to record 4K video unlike the FF Sony A7s and it is quite cheaper too.

Apr 29, 2014 at 09:04 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Panasonic GH4 now available with limited stock

lambers wrote:

Actually that sensor is just fine

Looks like a nice camera, if I did video that is.

Apr 30, 2014 at 07:11 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Panasonic GH4 now available with limited stock

HopeIsEternal wrote:
I don't really understand sensor size complaints about m4/3rds when it comes to video. In photography, limited DoF is worth a lot but for video and movie making it is rarely a good thing since almost all documentary videos needs good reasonably large DoF to fully capture unrehearsed / live events and even in movies you still want enough DoF to keep all actors in focus without requiring that they all be exactly in the same limited plane of focus. And in any case if you need limited DoF for some scenes there are very fast manual DSLR, cine and
...Show more

I agree, the A7s looks like it's going to be killer for low light photography but with no internal 4k, lower bit rate recording that the GH4, possibly being more than 1.5x more expensive, and it essentially using the same body as the A7 series (meaning record button off to the side in a odd to reach place), it's not a direct competitor to the GH4.

Apr 30, 2014 at 07:28 AM
jbregar
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Panasonic GH4 now available with limited stock

HopeIsEternal wrote:
I don't really understand sensor size complaints about m4/3rds when it comes to video. In photography, limited DoF is worth a lot but for video and movie making it is rarely a good thing since almost all documentary videos needs good reasonably large DoF to fully capture unrehearsed / live events and even in movies you still want enough DoF to keep all actors in focus without requiring that they all be exactly in the same limited plane of focus. And in any case if you need limited DoF for some scenes there are very fast manual DSLR, cine and
...Show more

Actually, limited DOF is pretty handy in video too. That's one of the reasons that things shot on old school video cameras with small sensors (1/4-1/2") have a different look than things shot on Super35 film.

m4/3 isn't going down to the "video camera" sensor size, but it is significantly smaller than Super35 which does lead to some challenges when it comes to trying to get that "film" look. Sure, you stop down a lot to get expanded DOF to keep things in focus... but there's nothing better than nailing an interview on my C100 with a 50/1.4 at say f/2.

I'm not a huge fan of the "full frame video" look with micro-thin DOF where you're always pulling focus, but I do like me some shallow DOF for talking heads.

From what I'm seeing, m4/3 will drop about a stop's worth of DOF over Super35 (or APS-C). So the f/2.8 zooms (12-35 & 35-100) will act more like f/4 zooms do on my C100 which just isn't shallow enough DOF in a lot of cases.

Apr 30, 2014 at 09:34 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Panasonic GH4 now available with limited stock

Shallow DoF video all over the place always looks like beginner work to me, like someone just got their first nifty fifty.

Apr 30, 2014 at 09:40 AM
pointbob
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Panasonic GH4 now available with limited stock

FlyPenFly wrote:
Shallow DoF video all over the place always looks like amateur work to me, like someone just got their first nifty fifty.

It's a good thing then that people make videos for other people as opposed to critics. The web is littered with "oohs and ahhs" when a dof segueway occurs. Looks nice too.

Apr 30, 2014 at 09:42 AM
jbregar
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Panasonic GH4 now available with limited stock

FlyPenFly wrote:
Shallow DoF video all over the place always looks like beginner work to me, like someone just got their first nifty fifty.

You must REALLY hate movies then.

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:18 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.