FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2014 · Sick of "Are your rates negotiable?"

OO7MIKE
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Sick of "Are your rates negotiable?"

I agree with both Rusty and Mark on many points. I unfortunately still have to do a little advertising and selling to make things happen.

I don't like the sales pitch/scripted crap that I hear from car dealers. I just talk to people like they are people because they ARE people who respond well to respect and a little help. I would consider myself more of a troubleshooter than sales person. I like to come up with solutions to their problems. Some of these problems they might not even know about but I certainly don't make stuff up and use it as a scare tactic. You wouldn't believe (or maybe you do if your are a wedding photographer) how many wedding clients didn't know to look for were the sun will be positioned during the ceremony. If that sun is directly on their faces or we are getting sun spots through the tree shade, its not going to look good even with a flash assist. During a consultation I help them think about that and they can request changes through the venue. I will then offer some additional advice and if the venue is local I am happy to go out there for 30min and give them a few ideas if requested.

See what I did there? I told them something they didn't know and I offered to help them out before the big day. If they value their photographs they will jump on that offer. They will also be more inclined to book with me because after visiting a few other photographers, I helped them in a way that is much more memorable and useful than showing them a giant novelty 14x14 album they probably cant afford.

Jul 19, 2014 at 03:50 PM
markd61
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Sick of "Are your rates negotiable?"

Rusty, I enjoyed your detailed and excellent posts.
One phrase leapt out at me and that was " help people make the transition".
I totally agree. I described it as grief counseling.

A prospect would come in ready to "buy today if the deal is right!" I would ask what offer they would like to make on the vehicle of their dreams. It usually was something crazy ole and I knew I had a couple of hours of " counseling"

Jul 19, 2014 at 05:08 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Sick of "Are your rates negotiable?"

OO7MIKE wrote:

I just talk to people like they are people because they ARE people who respond well to respect and a little help. I would consider myself more of a troubleshooter than sales person. I like to come up with solutions to their problems.

Yup, psychological reciprocity and problem solving can go a really long way to gaining their trust and respect of/for you.

As to the car thing, my fav (i.e. worst) was when you walk on the lot and they open with a TC.

"So, can I sell you a car today?"

I always wanted to respond with, "I don't know, can you?" or "Sure, go ahead, sell away." ... but never did, taking pity upon the realization of how little they really knew about sales and people.

Jul 19, 2014 at 06:46 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Sick of "Are your rates negotiable?"

maxgphoto wrote:
Dear Mike, is the hourly rate you quoted us negotiable?

My response after the 13th email exchange with this potential client....

My name is Max, for the price of $xxx an hour you receive my photography services which I spent four years of college honing and $150,000 in education costs. I bring two cameras that cost $1,800 each, auxiliary lights costing $600 and wireless triggers for those lights that cost $100 each, I have four. Plus my lenses which range from $500 to $1,500 dollars each, I have four of them as well. After I shoot the event for two hours, I
...Show more

I understand you're frustrated over this, but if you really sent that email then you are not a professional or your head is so far up your ass that you enormous ego spoke when not spoken to. If I were the client I would have replied as follows.

Dear Jerk,

I will be sure to let everyone know how egotistic and assholishtic you are. A simple, no my rates are not negotiable would have been enough and we would have booked you anyways. It doesn't hurt to ask, but in this case it did hurt you that we asked. You will not be getting our business and I wish you luck with your over paying of school and lack of personal skills.

Good Day!

Jul 24, 2014 at 09:13 AM
NYCPhotog
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Sick of "Are your rates negotiable?"

Jul 24, 2014 at 02:55 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.