New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 40D problems

timgriffin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 40D problems

After several years of flawless use my 40D began having problems where the top dial spins and doesn't click between settings. I use that dial a lot so it's a big problem for me at least. I'm not sure that it'd be worth sending it in to get fixed and gone through by Canon with the value of 40D bodies these days.
So I was considering a 7D and now have seen some good reviews on the 70D. I enjoy walking through the woods and along the shoreline to take photos of wildlife - mostly birds. Not being a video person - do you think the 70D is worth the extra $200 - $300 for a used or refurbished body over a 7D?

Apr 28, 2014 at 08:49 AM
RikWriter
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 40D problems

Buy used. You'll save a lot.
I have the 7D and just got the 70D for a second body for an upcoming trip to Yellowstone. I had originally intended to re-sell the 70D when I got back but there are a lot of things I like about it. The only thing I don't like is the size---I have bigger hands and prefer the meatier feel of the 7D.

Apr 28, 2014 at 10:15 AM
krementz
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 40D problems

If you don't care about video (I don't), and you have compared all the features side by side and don't see an advantage, 7D seems like the better solution.

If you are thinking about the Tamron 150-600, some people have reported issues with AI servo on the 7D. Others deny that there are serious problems. Read the many thousands of posts to get somewhat informed/confused. I think there have been far fewer issues with the 70D and that lens - but I do not know for sure.

Apr 28, 2014 at 03:02 PM
timgriffin
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 40D problems

Its odd that the 7D new costs more than the 70D new, refurbished bodies from Canon are the same price but used the 7d is $200 - $300 cheaper than the used 70D even right here on the FM buy and sell forum.

Apr 28, 2014 at 06:01 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 40D problems

timgriffin wrote:
Its odd that the 7D new costs more than the 70D new, refurbished bodies from Canon are the same price but used the 7d is $200 - $300 cheaper than the used 70D even right here on the FM buy and sell forum.

its not odd at all . the 7D is a range above the XXD series bodies . Yes it my have been out a lot longer but it would still be odd if they were the other way round .

now 2nd hand and refurbs is a different matter . there are more 7D bodies around and I bet there are plenty of refurb candidates out there also . less so for the 70D (an over supply of 70d refurbs could also be kept back to keep new bodies selling)

as to the 7D v 70D . I have no experience of the 70D but do have a 7d that I upgraded to from a 40D . the 7D is better in every way (although I will add the upgrade from a 7D to a 5D3 was better by a factor of 10 over the 40D>7D upgrade )

the 70 looks a very interesting camera , but as someone who used the focus modes like spot focus I would still favour the 7D .
also the 70D buffer is much smaller i think . when the FW2.0 came out on the 7D it made a big jump which was very useful . especially if your shooting RAW+Jpeg (which I do a fair bit) as it went from 6 to about 15 . im not sure what the 70D raw+jpeg buffer is but its normal for most cams to be looked at 6 (a big drawback to my 5D3 )

on paper the 70 seems a camera that makes the 7D obsolete . but the reality is the 7D still rocks usability wise

Apr 28, 2014 at 07:31 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.