Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Wildflower season is here!

zeelichsheng
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wildflower season is here!

I just got back from Columbia Hills State Park. The sunflowers are at their peak and the lupines should be at theirs within next week or so.

This morning was a pretty crazy one - a full rainbow showed up and disappeared in just 5 minutes. I feel a little bit sad that it was somewhat "empty" under the rainbow so I am not 100% satisfied with the composition of that one...

Anyway, I spent some great time at Columbia Hills State Park (again!), and wish to explore more wildflower places next year

1# Private Property

2# Rainy Dawn 1

3# Rainy Dawn 2

4# The Rainbow!

Apr 28, 2014 at 02:16 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wildflower season is here!

What a cool flower display. #2 and 4 are my favorites, with #2 being my top pick. I like the composition of #1, but the lit up area in the background I find distracting. Too bad the light wasn't hitting on that Private Property sign. Do you have any of that same composition but without that barren hill area being lit up?

Jim

Apr 28, 2014 at 03:15 AM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wildflower season is here!

Nice series -- I like #2 the best of the set as well.
Paul

Apr 28, 2014 at 05:43 AM
yonia

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wildflower season is here!

great series, with diffrent light and nice depth...

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:30 PM
zeelichsheng
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wildflower season is here!

JimFox wrote:
What a cool flower display. #2 and 4 are my favorites, with #2 being my top pick. I like the composition of #1, but the lit up area in the background I find distracting. Too bad the light wasn't hitting on that Private Property sign. Do you have any of that same composition but without that barren hill area being lit up?

Jim

Thanks Jim. I need to check if I have other photos with different light condition of #1.

The lit-up area is OK to me. Actually my intention is to make it serve as the second interest spot in the frame - to connect the dark regions in the bottom of the frame to the much brighter sky.

In PS I burnt the Private Property sign as well as the sunflowers beneath it. My thought is:

1) The viewer will start viewing from the bottom left corner, where the fence in the foreground will lead them to the Private Property sign.

2) Then the view will go along the fence which stretches further into the center of the image.

3) The lit-up area connects the fence, directs the view from directly going to the sky on the upper right corner to upper left corner. To achieve this, I burnt the lit-up area a bit, and dodged the much brighter farmlands in the distance.

Thanks to RAW and exposure to the right, I am able to conserve as much detail as possible in the white area while maintaining an acceptable noise level in the dark area, without bracketing. (Yep, I am lazy )

4) The clouds begin very thin on the upper left corner, which moves the view towards back to upper right corner because the clouds are "heavier" in the sense of size and shape. Basically, the viewer's view should traverse an "S" from bottom left to upper right.

5) What about bottom right? Well that's where the signature is I always use my signature as a visual element to balance the composition, if necessary.

Hope this could explain my ideas behind the picture. I agree that there should be some light on the sign to make it more obvious to be the first interest point. But if you look at the lit-up area, it is QUITE BIG I don't think there could be any holy-light the size of a Private Property sign

I should probably use a flash-light to light paint the sign, in the day light!

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:46 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wildflower season is here!

Very nice series, 2nd shot my favorite.

Apr 28, 2014 at 08:20 PM
02subyrube

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wildflower season is here!

Nice! I love me some wildflowers

Apr 29, 2014 at 08:13 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wildflower season is here!

The last 3 are great. Now if you could have found a circular group of flowers like in #3, and composed it in with that rainbow, it would be off the charts awesome! I'd love to see a full rainbow when I head down there in less then 2 weeks.

Apr 29, 2014 at 08:17 AM
voltaire
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wildflower season is here!

#4 is simply breathtaking! Thanks for sharing.

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:34 AM
briancphoto
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wildflower season is here!

I just love columbia Hills!! Nice job with the shots. I am wondering if the 2nd and 3rd are a little too blue? I don't know but you might want to play with the color balance a bit. Maybe it is just my monitor. I would have loved to have been there for that rainbow. Awesome.

Cheer Brian

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:44 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wildflower season is here!

Great rainbow! Awesome capture

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:25 PM
zeelichsheng
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wildflower season is here!

Thanks for your comments.

briancphoto wrote:
I am wondering if the 2nd and 3rd are a little too blue? I don't know but you might want to play with the color balance a bit. Maybe it is just my monitor.

I saturated the blue channel a little in PS, but it was just compensating the camera's ability to capture the color in RAW comparing to what human sees. It was quite blue at pre-dawn

Justin Grimm wrote:
The last 3 are great. Now if you could have found a circular group of flowers like in #3, and composed it in with that rainbow, it would be off the charts awesome! I'd love to see a full rainbow when I head down there in less then 2 weeks.

Yep I agree. I think I spent the time rubbing my eyes and dropping my jaw to believe that amazing moment, instead of looking for a good foreground.

Actually no, the full rainbow only lasted a few minutes, and I was busy cleaning the rain drops from the lens front glass... And I was not in a good position at that time. I wish I could be on the slope up a bit where I could have more choices for the foreground...

Apr 29, 2014 at 01:23 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wildflower season is here!

i like the spotlight effect in the first one and the way the far hills just glows

the next two are quite nice, something seems slightly odd about the colors though

May 04, 2014 at 12:31 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wildflower season is here!

nice rainbow shot

May 04, 2014 at 05:16 PM
jbtito

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wildflower season is here!

Love the rainbow shot

May 04, 2014 at 10:42 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.