Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Sony A7R focus at full aperature?

gurtch
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony A7R focus at full aperature?

Hi all. I only have two native lenses: the 35 mm and 55mm. For my landscape/ seascape work, I usually shoot aperature preferred, typically f11 to f13. I have used SLRs ( film and digital) for many years, and am used to focusing wide open, either manually, or AF. This gives me a bright view, even in bright daylight, and limited depth of field because of the wide open aperature. I have tried to use my A7r that way, but I must be screwing up, because I cannot do it. If I select Aperature Preferred, set the f stop to, say, f13 the lens (both of them) stop down to shooting aperature, darkening the view somewhat, and making manual focus tweaking impossible, because of the f13 depth of field. I like the DMF idea, that you merely keep your finger on the shutter release after AF, then move the focus ring, and the image magnifies, and you manually tweak focus; but with the lens stopped down, this idea fails for me. Am I screwing up? I am about ready to go back to my DSLRS, which I fortunately kept.

Apr 27, 2014 at 09:22 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony A7R focus at full aperature?

Turn off live view simulation in the settings.

Apr 27, 2014 at 09:33 PM
Herbc
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony A7R focus at full aperature?

If you are shooting landscapes, try an adapter and manual focus lenses. I have the A7r and one converted to IR. The autofocus lenses habit of focusing at the shooting aperture makes IR very difficult.

That said, my Zeiss lenses are a delight to use with either camera, and focusing with bright peaking is great.

Apr 27, 2014 at 09:33 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.