New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 1D Mk III Focus Point Question

flyfishertoo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1D Mk III Focus Point Question

I recently bought a very lightly use 1D Mk III as a first time 1D series user. So far, I am really enjoying it and the difference between it and the XXD series that I have used in the past.

As I expected, there is a big difference in how the two series works. I am struggling to set the focus point that I want. I have read through all the information I can find regarding the custom function but can find an answer, at least one that I understand, to help me.

Is there a way to set the focus point usually either just the wheel, or the joy stick. Or do I have to press the button on the back to before being able to access the points? Hopefully, my question is clear enough.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Apr 27, 2014 at 07:39 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1D Mk III Focus Point Question

Awesome camera!

It's been a while since I've used one. You can "register" a "frequent flyer" AF point, and go to it by pushing the "Multi-controller" (i.e. thumb joystick), and return to the previous selection(s) by pushing it again. See pg. 171 of the manual. I had the centre AF point registered, and otherwise usually had the inner 9 AF points on auto selection, with AF expansion enabled.

Apr 27, 2014 at 07:55 PM
Burnsie

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1D Mk III Focus Point Question

FlyFisherToo,

Check out page 173 in the manual. C.fn IV:3 Quick Control Dial in Metering. I believe you are looking for option 1.

This will allow you to just turn the quick control dial to change the focus point, without having to push the AF point selection button at the top of the camera. Keep in mind, the camera has to be metering to be able to do this. So, if it doesn't seem to work, just tap the shutter button to get the camera metering again.

Hope that helps.

B

Apr 27, 2014 at 09:03 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1D Mk III Focus Point Question

Check you FW version since IIRC, if you update the FW to the latest version you can use the joystick to change the AF point, not just the QCD or main dial.

Apr 27, 2014 at 09:14 PM
sqphotography
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1D Mk III Focus Point Question

i use the joystick and have latest firmware. I will try to look up the custom function setting for you pm me if I forget...

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:34 PM
flyfishertoo
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1D Mk III Focus Point Question

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Check you FW version since IIRC, if you update the FW to the latest version you can use the joystick to change the AF point, not just the QCD or main dial.

Thanks but I am a little confused by the abbreviations. I assume FW is firmware, I have the latest. I am not sure what IIRC means. All I could think of is If I Remember Correctly.

Apr 28, 2014 at 06:48 PM
flyfishertoo
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1D Mk III Focus Point Question

sqphotography wrote:
i use the joystick and have latest firmware. I will try to look up the custom function setting for you pm me if I forget...

I would appreciate anything you can provide me. I will give you a few days, if I don't hear from you, I will PM.

Apr 28, 2014 at 06:49 PM
flyfishertoo
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1D Mk III Focus Point Question

jcolwell and Burnsie, thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

Apr 28, 2014 at 06:50 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1D Mk III Focus Point Question

flyfishertoo wrote:
Thanks but I am a little confused by the abbreviations. I assume FW is firmware, I have the latest. I am not sure what IIRC means. All I could think of is If I Remember Correctly.

Yes spot on.
FW = firmware
IIRC = if I recall/remember correctly

Apr 28, 2014 at 09:18 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.