FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Junk yard

briancphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Junk yard

These are a couple from last week. It was raining while I took these but the flowers were just about perfect. I had been aware of this car for a while and finally just stumbled upon it. From the eastern columbia gorge area.

http://bcphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s6/v142/p596197577-5.jpg

I tried to do a focus stack with this one. It looks okay small but there are a lot of iffy spots if you really look close. The wind had just started to come up so there was a lot of motion. I may go back and try again to see if I can do a better job.

http://bcphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v130/p712110057-4.jpg

In hind site I wish I had got inside the car more to show more of the view through the windshield but I am uncomfortable doing that in case I did any damage. This was (obviously) an HDR I am also trying to come up with a good name for this photo if anyone has any suggestions.

http://bcphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v164/p944007375-5.jpg

Thanks for your C and C. Cheers Brian

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Todd
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Junk yard

Man that view from inside the old car is sweet! I like that one best along with the second shot. This is a really nice series. What kind of aroma was in that car? I'm just glad you didn't encounter a snake or two...

Todd

Apr 27, 2014 at 01:08 PM
DavidFantle

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Junk yard

Really like the find of this wreck among the vibrant blossoms. In the first, I'd like to see the vehicle more prominent in the frame. It gets a bit lost. I'd suggest removing the other bit of debris at lower L and selectively lightening the vehicle a bit to make it more of a focal point. In #2, that bit of junk blocking the car also hurts the compo. It also looks like you applied a glow/Orton effect to that. I never like that, makes everything look like a sappy Hallmark card! #3 is the best of the bunch for me. This type of image is one of the few times that I really think the HDR treatment works well. A focal blend for the near seat/door would have helped a bit, but a minor nit. I think that one is wall-worthy!

Apr 27, 2014 at 01:11 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Junk yard

I like #1 and #2. I like #2 better. #3 is too much car and not enough landscape IMO, but I think you should post it in one of the other forums (City & Street, or Digital Art)and will achieve great success with it in one or the other of the forums. But what is that thing above the flowers in #2? It's playing tricks on my eyes.

Apr 27, 2014 at 01:15 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Junk yard

I like #1 a lot. With #2, maybe darken FG a bit, because right now it is overwhelming the rest.
As with #3, I really like the idea, but perhaps a composition with less of the car interior and more of the flower fields can be more beneficial.

Sasha.

Apr 27, 2014 at 01:26 PM
VanIsle
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Junk yard

Hi Brian,

I enjoyed the series. I disagree with David regarding the first shot - I think there is a nice balance between sky and land, and I think it sets a nice overall tone.

Compositionally, I think the second one is fairly weak. The flowers in the FG are nice, but the car is lost in the background.

The third shot is my favorite. I disagree with ckcarr on a philosophical level. I would hope that at some point we all appreciate good photography. The different forums allow us to find those with shared interests, but to suggest breaking up the set because one image doesn't have "enough" landscape seems silly. I like how the vehicle acts as a frame. I do agree if you went back and were careful about damage that you could get some interesting shots where you could get more landscape in the image, but I love this one as is.

Apr 27, 2014 at 01:33 PM
briancphoto
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Junk yard

Hey thanks a bunch for all the comments.
I didn't even think of snakes !!!! It was to cold and rainy, I am sure they all went south for the winter.
I really struggled to find a nice bunch of flowers in a place that showed off the car in the best light. I will probably head back there and see if when the lupine come out more if I can get a better composition. I may try to get more landscape in the third shot because I do think it would help the shot.

David- I didn't try to do a glow/orton in the second. It was misty and raining so I am not sure if that is what you are seeing? I will take another look at it in LR and see if I can see it.

Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment. Brian

Apr 27, 2014 at 04:52 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.