Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · WOW! LAX is tougher than I ever woulda thought!

Game Changer
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · WOW! LAX is tougher than I ever woulda thought!

I was at a local high school shooting baseball when I noticed a lacrosse game on an adjacent field. I have never had the opportunity to shoot LAX so I thought I'd give it a try. The accessibility was not the greatest as there is a chain link fence surrounding the field and they let nobody past it except the teams and officials.

I used my D4S and a 300mm 2.8 VR with a 1.7 TC that gave me 510 @ f/4.8.

Since I do not play or follow LAX I had a real tough time getting with "the flow". With sports shooting this is the most important skill to acquire IMHO. Another issue is that the actions changes very fast and it was tough trying to follow the white ball while the players carried it in the white nets. (I don't know the official term).

Here's a few shots...I'm sticking with baseball.

Apr 27, 2014 at 11:27 AM
docsmiles17
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · WOW! LAX is tougher than I ever woulda thought!

my son plays lacrosse and I also can't track the play thru the viewfinder as you can't anticipate where the play will be next so I track the play with my eyes above the body and when a good action moment seems to take place then do I go to the viewfinder.

Apr 27, 2014 at 01:26 PM
Game Changer
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · WOW! LAX is tougher than I ever woulda thought!

I've grown accustomed to keeping my weak eye open when shooting sports, but LAX was very tough still. The ball is hard to see even with two good eyes! If I knew the game better I am sure I could anticipate more.

Apr 27, 2014 at 03:53 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · WOW! LAX is tougher than I ever woulda thought!

Game Changer wrote:
I've grown accustomed to keeping my weak eye open when shooting sports, but LAX was very tough still. The ball is hard to see even with two good eyes! If I knew the game better I am sure I could anticipate more.

If I knew the game better

For the most part, that is what all forms of photography is about. Keep shooting and it will come.

Ted

Apr 27, 2014 at 05:18 PM
InlawBiker
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · WOW! LAX is tougher than I ever woulda thought!

I have been shooting Lacrosse now all year, just kids/amateurs. I pretty much have to pick a spot, offense or defense and stay there. The ball can move to the other side of the field in a hurry. It's usually not possible to follow the action through the viewfinder. This weekend a team ran a play where two players pretended to have the ball, I was completely fooled.

Once you put the sun to your back and find an acceptable background there are precious few spots to stay planted, at least in my experience. Since I'm just shooting amateurs I just act like I belong there and go where I please. Nobody has objected yet.

Apr 28, 2014 at 03:22 PM
amlsml
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · WOW! LAX is tougher than I ever woulda thought!

For me, I don't follow the ball. I find a player I want to shoot, then watch their reaction. A goalie will squat, tense, get ready for the shot, A long Pole D will square his body before engaging, the attack will almost always end up at X, or behind the goal, great time for individual action shots. For men, I sit on the ground at the 40 for face off and shooting the opposing D. then I slide down, just lower then the goal line for the shooters. Have to watch the off side shooters, get great images, but if they miss, you may have a ball headed your way. For women I prefer to sit behind the net for the shots from the 8 and 16, then move up to the 20 yard for face on goal shots and the D. keeping shooting, lax is fun!

Apr 28, 2014 at 08:22 PM
kzoockof
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · WOW! LAX is tougher than I ever woulda thought!

Inlaw, I shot a girls 7/8 grade game this weekend. The Refs wouldn't allow me to photograph from the end of the field. I can understand this for HS and certainly college mens lax and even womens college lax, but come on, 7th and 8th grade girls?

Apr 28, 2014 at 08:23 PM
innaeddy1
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · WOW! LAX is tougher than I ever woulda thought!

I think you have some nice shots being your 1st time, I usually shoot from about 10yards in front of the goal to the back of the goal, just off to the side.

Here are 3 images 2 from behind and 1 from slightly in front, these were college games

Andy

Apr 29, 2014 at 02:16 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · WOW! LAX is tougher than I ever woulda thought!

Game Changer wrote:
The ball is hard to see even with two good eyes!.

The lacrosse ball is more difficult to track than say, football. especially the mens game.
I imagine a pro lacrosse game even more difficult .... are there any pro lacrosse games?

Apr 29, 2014 at 07:25 AM
InlawBiker
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · WOW! LAX is tougher than I ever woulda thought!

kzoockof wrote:
Inlaw, I shot a girls 7/8 grade game this weekend. The Refs wouldn't allow me to photograph from the end of the field. I can understand this for HS and certainly college mens lax and even womens college lax, but come on, 7th and 8th grade girls?

That is silly but, you never know until you try. If they ask you to leave then at least you know the boundaries. I think with Lacrosse they probably don't want to you to get hit with that hard rubber ball.

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · WOW! LAX is tougher than I ever woulda thought!

InlawBiker wrote:
That is silly but, you never know until you try. If they ask you to leave then at least you know the boundaries. I think with Lacrosse they probably don't want to you to get hit with that hard rubber ball.

I will always try to shoot angled behind the GK. Heavy insurance for me and my equipment. If asked, I move. If nothing is happening, I move.

Ted

Apr 29, 2014 at 06:34 PM
mglaswell

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · WOW! LAX is tougher than I ever woulda thought!

I recently shot a little lax for my friend whose son plays. They are tough to stay with because those boys move QUICK! Great shots!!

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:12 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.