New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · web site critique

BeaverMan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · web site critique

Hello, its been a while since I have been around here. I really need to get a little more active again!

I have been accepted to an art walk in my city of Toronto and I am trying to get everything ready. I would love to hear what you guys think of my current web site and what I can approve upon to make it better. I am no web designer or programer so my knowledge is a little limited on creating websites but any suggestions will greatly help.

Also in my Fine Art Prints section I feel that I have some photos there that are not as strong as others and could use the help on suggesting which ones I should maybe take down.

Thanks for looking and hope to hear some feed back.

www.nathan-robert.com

Apr 26, 2014 at 07:18 PM
BeaverMan
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · web site critique

Ive tweaked a few things to hopefully make it a little better.

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:22 AM
mjhedge
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · web site critique

I really like your website. Your prints are stunning. The only thing I am a little unsure about is the overlay over all of the images. I think the dot pattern takes away from your stunning work. I would also like to see the photo's in the Fine Art Gallery pop up with a much larger image.

Apr 29, 2014 at 08:31 PM
jbregar
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · web site critique

Ditch the stupid "no right click" alert. It's annoying, user-hostile and does nothing to protect your images.

If you absolutely, positively, must do your tiny part to hurt the Internet at least get rid of the alert() and just return false so it doesn't show the popup.

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:27 PM
B1air

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · web site critique

mjhedge wrote:
I really like your website. Your prints are stunning. The only thing I am a little unsure about is the overlay over all of the images. I think the dot pattern takes away from your stunning work.

The dot pattern is called masking, and it helps hides flaws when low-resolution images are displayed at high resolution. It's one of the compromises that need to be made when displaying a full screen background image.

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:55 AM
B1air

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · web site critique

Pages need to load faster. Even with Wordpress and Supercache webpagetest shows 6 sec+ load times. Way more than >2 sec that's recommended.

http://www.webpagetest.org/result/140430_MB_NEC/

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:58 AM
mjhedge
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · web site critique

B1air, thanks for clarifying this for me. I wonder with the quality of these images how much flaws need to be masked. I suppose it allows the site to operate with a much smaller file to get a faster load. For me personally, it really takes away from the quality of the image.

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:02 AM
Joker-USMC
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · web site critique

I don't mind the masking, but the load time is just crazy slow! If I was a potential client, I most likely wouldn't stick around.

You have some good images, but the load times really cripple my ability to see them. Your self portrait, for instance, is only 1522x1007, but it loads about how I would expect something twice that size to load.

Of the prints, Green Fingers is my least favorite.

HTH, and good luck!

Apr 30, 2014 at 01:57 PM
jbregar
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · web site critique

I'll pile onto the load time thing. It kinda takes forever... and I'm on 100Mb/s cable.

Your images probably need to be compressed a bit more. The "full background image" thing is one of those trends that sounded like a good idea when someone who knew what they were doing did it... but it's hard to do well and maintain a reasonable load speed. You have to pick images that compress well and do a good job compressing the living crap out of them to get them down in size while still looking good.

You're also making a lot of requests (64) for various CSS, JS and image files. I'd try to get that down a bit. My previous employer has a WordPress plugin to handle a lot of that stuff... https://github.com/crowdfavorite/wp-asset-optimizer ...that's assuming the template author is enqueueing scripts and styles correctly.

Design-wise, it's pretty decent. The typeface you used for the "Nathan Robert" part doesn't really match the quality of the rest of the typography. Also, ditch the underline. Underline is one of those things that you should only use when you absolutely-positively HAVE to for some specific purpose... because underline is typographically ugly and readability suffers. Also, ditch small caps. In order to not look goofy as hell, small caps need to be used correctly. That means not just scaling down the "normal" capital letter AND using them when typographically appropriate (acronyms, abbreviations and anywhere else you need capital letters for grammatical correctness but want them to blend with lowercase text).

On the fine art prints page, if you can I'd switch the fine art america site you're framing to better match the page it's on. The big white box is pretty ugly. Also, don't set text in all uppercase "HERE" and saying "click HERE for XXX" is generally kind of lousy for accessibility and SEO. It'd be better if it was rephrased to say "You can also see my fine art prints on _my_other_web_site_"... or better yet, just have one web site. What's the purpose of the other one? Finally, don't open another window to take them to the other web site. New windows break the back button and are user-hostile. If they want to come back, they'll hit the back button (or click on one of the links you should have provided to get them back).

Finally, in your "About" text, you switch between the first and third persons. Graf one is first person (I, me, etc.), second graf is third person ("Nathan Robert Englbrecht") then the third is back to first person. I'd suggest switching the second graf to first person because I think referring to yourself in the third person comes off kind of pretentious... but that's just me.

Apr 30, 2014 at 05:26 PM
BeaverMan
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · web site critique

nice, thanks guys!

This really helps me a lot and is much appreciated. I am no web designer/developer so this for me is very, figure it out as I go.

I am totally struggling with the load time because yes they are way to slow. I though my files where small enough but I guess not.

and yes the fine art prints page is super ugly. I am trying to figure out how to make it nicer but I don't think there are many option from fine art america to do so. or I just can't figure them out.

jbregar, thanks for your time dude and the tips on my logo/name as well as everything else. Im not trying to hurt the internet I promise
Ill check out the link but is it possible to explan why and what is asking for requests?

Thanks guys

May 01, 2014 at 04:16 PM
jbregar
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · web site critique

Essentially it's a large number of CSS, JavaScript and image files. If you look at that report, it'll show you all 64 of them. The problem with lots of tiny requests is browsers can only request a few files at a time.

Asset Optimizer just takes all of those tiny CSS and JS files and smooshes them together into one so it requires fewer requests.

May 01, 2014 at 04:43 PM
BeaverMan
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · web site critique

what would you recommend the file size be no larger then?

May 03, 2014 at 06:20 PM
jbregar
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · web site critique

Ideally no larger than about 300kB.

And ideally you'd have about 1/10th of the number of requests you currently do.

One or both of these may be impossible with your current design.

May 06, 2014 at 11:45 AM
BeaverMan
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · web site critique

ok thats not to bad then, I have been trying to get them under 100k but thats is impossible without looking really bad. I can do under 300k though.
as for the calls im still looking into that. still need to try out the plugin from the link you posted

May 06, 2014 at 03:41 PM
jbregar
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · web site critique

Oh... I mean 300kB for the entire page. That's every image, all the JavaScript and CSS and the HTML. It should all total less than 300k.

Like I said above, this is the crappy thing about the big-ass background image design. You have to be VERY good at optimization of your images... which is largely about which you pick (they need to compress well).

May 07, 2014 at 12:14 AM
BeaverMan
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · web site critique

ah, gotcha. dam. Im really starting to regret choosing this design. you live you learn i guess.

May 07, 2014 at 02:05 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · web site critique

A very generous critique, Justin. Thanks from us all.

Beautiful images, Nathan. Good luck.

Regards,

Chuck

May 07, 2014 at 04:06 PM
thashef29

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · web site critique

Try converting the images to some other format. I have read that webp format is really good for compression.

Website looks really good.

May 21, 2014 at 09:26 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.