FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Big Sur Wildflowers 2014

wayne seltzer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Big Sur Wildflowers 2014

One of my favorite hikes even though it is pretty tough.
It was a beautiful sunny warm day last Sunday and I think conditions were about at peak. Not bad but not as good as previous years due to our prolonged drought here.
Thanks to Derek for getting me hooked on this place from all his great images here.
I made it all the way up the 2000 vert ft to the top carrying my D800E ZF 21, new Otus ZF 55 and RX1. There was a lot of sea spray in the air due to the high surf that day.

Apr 26, 2014 at 01:15 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Big Sur Wildflowers 2014

Any C&C is welcome!
TIA!

Apr 29, 2014 at 08:38 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Big Sur Wildflowers 2014

Hey Wayne,

#1 is my pick here, but only if you crop off the bottom of it and go to perhaps a 4:5 format. The one orange flower along the bottom edge is very distracting.... always check your shots when processing for clean edges. But I would crop off a good chunk off the bottom, all the way to the bottom of the purple flowers. Then.... then... I think that shot would really rock!

With #2, the bare dirt on the left is distracting. It makes for an unbalanced shot, and plus that brown ends up feeling like the brightest area in the shot, so the eye is going straight there...

#3 ends up being almost more of a flower shot than a landscape shot. I wish you had that at the bottom of #1.... did you do a version of #3 with more of the hills in it?

Jim

Apr 30, 2014 at 01:26 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Big Sur Wildflowers 2014

Hey Jim,
Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it.
Was in a hurry to post late at night and missed that poppy at the bottom of the first one. Would have cropped it out.
Agree with second image, was having trouble composing out the dirt area.
The last is purposely framed around the bush lupine because the sky was very bright and I just wanted the dark hillside for background to keep the focus on the flowers. I also have a shot from a previous year which has the sky as well as the hillside because the sky was bluer that day and less harsh lighting.
Yeah, I wish the large bush lupine in the last shot was at the top of ridge where the first shot was taken but it is notand only that little one exists there. Maybe in a few more years it will get that that big.

May 01, 2014 at 12:09 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Big Sur Wildflowers 2014

Hey Wayne,

How about cropping off the bottom of #1 to just underneath the purple bush and post that here? I think that would have real potential.

The wildflowers do look great, and I am sure it was awesome to be out there. The fun part can be trying to create form out what often times is chaos in nature, like the dirt around the poppies in #2.

Jim

May 01, 2014 at 01:31 AM
dereksurfs
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Big Sur Wildflowers 2014

Wayne, thanks for posting!!! You inspired me to go last weekend and it was so good I went back today. The poppies are still in good shape. But the grasses are starting to grow taller. So if someone else goes they should go soon.

I agree with Jim's comments and like the first one best as well.

I'll try to post a few once I get to processing.

Thanks again for the heads up!!!

Derek

May 02, 2014 at 08:12 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.