Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Nikon d700 exposure wierdness - Input please?

andrewhed
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon d700 exposure wierdness - Input please?

Ive had a d700 for 3 odd years now. For 2 years its been fantastic. It has cut the amount of post processing down dramatically by being almost always DEAD on with exposure.

About 7 months ago it started acting funny, especaially with the flash on. It would almost always over expose, and sometimes didnt fire, and other times would show a red grid in the viewfiender.

After upgrading my flash to a sb 910, and having my main lens redone by nikon, I finally figured it was a flash shoe issue when it started to just randomly fire. Excellent.

Anyway, off it goes to nikon for a 250 dollar repair that they wont pay for because they dont believe its a know issue. But I digress, they fixed it, and "checked exposure" and have deemed it in good health.

So now its back, and it works, doesnt automatically fire, but something is STILL wrong. It seems to almost always be overexposing 1/3 to 2/3 of a stop. And , like digitial when underexposed, the photo's seem to lack saturation ( because of course they DO) and I have to fix them individually in Raw.

I know ...set the camera to underexpose a 1/3 of a stop.....

But im curious as tho what is going on and why?

I shoot in aRGB and then convert to the working space in photoshop. Same as always.

Any thoughts?

Apr 26, 2014 at 01:14 AM
andrewhed
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon d700 exposure wierdness - Input please?

The flash is not set to add light either.

Apr 26, 2014 at 01:17 AM
Jason_Brook
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon d700 exposure wierdness - Input please?

Have you taken note of what lenses the issue occurs with?

Apr 26, 2014 at 02:52 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon d700 exposure wierdness - Input please?

Sounds like a combination of "exposure delay" causing the camera not to fire right away, and maybe you're not using a "D" lens and getting varying flash exposures...i had to shoot TTL flash one time and i was using a non-D 50mm, exposures were all over....

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:00 PM
shmn
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon d700 exposure wierdness - Input please?

Jason_Brook wrote:
Have you taken note of what lenses the issue occurs with?

Yes. A lens can develop a sticky aperture mechanism (usually due to oil/grease on the blades) which prevents the aperture from closing down quickly enough or all the way which leads to overexposed images. Some lenses like the 35/2 and 20/2.8 were more prone (if they are earlier vintage models...newer ones are improved).

Apr 26, 2014 at 01:09 PM
f1photog

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon d700 exposure wierdness - Input please?

The only time I experienced something similar was when shooting in an aviary with variable light while set to spot metering. Once I switched to matrix metering all was well.

Could it be that Nikon's service caused the issue? It didn't do this until after they'd worked on it.

Apr 26, 2014 at 01:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

andrewhed
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon d700 exposure wierdness - Input please?

Thanks for the input folks.

The lens has just been to nikon as well, its a 35-70 push pull. Its very clean. But your point is valid.
I definately need to see if i have the same issues with my 50mm or 85mm. I never really use flash with my primes tho.

My camera ( or lens ) was doing this before the fix. Its just the fix didnt stop it.

Um...i also just realized that while my lens was in the shop I borrowed a friends 35-70 push pull , and its 10 feet away.

Ill check out that lens theory....

Thanks.

Apr 26, 2014 at 03:05 PM
louel512

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon d700 exposure wierdness - Input please?

I haven't had such problems with this before. It's possibly a lens malfunction where the aperture blades dont close fast enough.

Jun 21, 2014 at 05:29 AM
andrewhed
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon d700 exposure wierdness - Input please?

This happens with all of my lenses.
With or without flash

Jun 22, 2014 at 01:40 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon d700 exposure wierdness - Input please?

If all lenses are doing it, the problem is definitely with the camera, not the lens. I would contact Nikon and inform them the problem did not exist before they worked on it.

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:54 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon d700 exposure wierdness - Input please?

I almost always dial in a 1/3 to 2/3 stop minus exposure on my SB-900 and SB-910. But, did you check to see if you have any positive flash exposure compensation dialed into your on-board flash?

Jun 23, 2014 at 03:18 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon d700 exposure wierdness - Input please?

Is there a custom function in the D700 to alter the meter exposure ? If I'm thinking of the right camera then that function will affect every photo but the setting will not appear in the EXIF data, so it will be hard to diagnose. It would typically be used to match your camera meter to an external light meter, for example, but you might also use it to avoid having to alter every exposure by a fixed amount.

Are you using auto ISO in one of the auto exposure modes ? That can give weird results with the flash, to the extent that it may be better to use a manual mode with auto flash.

- Alan

Jun 23, 2014 at 05:11 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password