New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · NEX Strobist Fail

joekraft
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NEX Strobist Fail

I was experimenting with some equipment, and found (probably pretty predictably, if I had thought about it for a second) that if you set your exposure to something reasonable, say 1/80 f/4.0 ISO100 when using a flash in manual mode (indoors at night, i.e. proto-studio conditions), that your screen will reflect the underexposure, thereby making focusing a crap shoot, at best.

Is there any way to get a decent display on the LCD, while still using correct settings for your shot? I wanted to shoot some still lifes (still lives?), and it seems that other than putting the camera on a tripod, setting it to something like iso3200 so your in-camera exposure is correct, focusing the shot, then going back to your ISO 100 to use with the flash, that there isn't a way to do this.

What I am asking for is a preview override, I guess. Auto-ISO just for framing and focusing the shot.

Anyone have any experience with this?

The equipment is an NEX6, canon ST-E2 remote trigger, and canon 580EX flash, but that's not really important, either methinks.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:19 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NEX Strobist Fail

Turning off the exposure simulation should work.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:33 AM
amplexis
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NEX Strobist Fail

live view display: setting effect off

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:35 AM
joekraft
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NEX Strobist Fail

Thanks LightShow and Amplexis. Coincidentally, I just came back to write that I had discovered that myself, and was going to leave it up in case anyone else came across the issue.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:51 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NEX Strobist Fail

Doesn't the 6 have a setting for the flash exposure compensation? I thought that was tied to the display settings with effect on.

Or maybe I've just been fooling myself all along.

Apr 25, 2014 at 06:43 PM
joekraft
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · NEX Strobist Fail

It has that setting, and one of the few beefs Ive had with the camera is how you have to go into the menus to find it - I need to look and see if that can be assigned somewhere - but I didnt check if that resolved the issue, since the live view effect display fixed it for me straight away.

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:39 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.