Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Shift adapter for Canon EF - Sony FE?

rosscova
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shift adapter for Canon EF - Sony FE?

Hi all,
I'm looking into the possibility of a shift adapter to fit Canon mount lenses to a Sony a7(R). Has anyone used one, and can give some feedback or experiences? Particularly, does the small opening of the E mount cause issues when shifting?

I'm specifically interested in the possibility of adapting the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm, and adding shift functionality at the same time. This would mean that electronic communication between the body and lens is not important, since the lens doesn't communicate anyway.

Any experience with tilt, or tilt/shift adapters would also be appreciated!

Ross

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:15 PM
phuang3
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shift adapter for Canon EF - Sony FE?

Both EF & FE cover image area of 36mmx24mm, there is no room to shift. A tilt adapter maybe.

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:43 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shift adapter for Canon EF - Sony FE?

Yea you will get a lot of mechanical vignetting if you use EF lenses that aren't meant to be shifted. Now if you wanted to do this with a crop sensor that would work

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:58 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shift adapter for Canon EF - Sony FE?

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50536-new-hcam-ts-master-14-24mm.html

T/S adaptor with canon mount. It's not an electronic mount though.

Apr 25, 2014 at 03:08 AM
rosscova
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shift adapter for Canon EF - Sony FE?

@ Beni, that looks great, I'll be interested to see how it turns out, and how the first users find it.

@ phuang3 and killersnowman, are you both assuming that all EF mount lenses have an image circle precisely covering the sensor, and no more? I ask because I am curious about vignetting, but I know that there are lots of lenses available with enough excess coverage to allow for some movements. If you are making that assumption I'd suggest that you're wrong, but if you're talking about some other physical limitation here, I'd be curious to hear more of an explanation.

Apr 25, 2014 at 08:46 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shift adapter for Canon EF - Sony FE?

What magical EF lenses have a larger image circle? If these exist then thats a bit of a waste. Why would a manufacturer create a lens that did what you say? They couldn't create a shift adapter for their own system because of the flange distance, so they are making these lenses for some mirrorless system from another manufacturer to be used with a non existing shift adapter? It makes no sense...

Now the lenses designed to shift(TSE), yes, they have a larger image circle because they are meant to shift

Do you have proof of a larger image circle? Or is this just speculation?

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:24 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shift adapter for Canon EF - Sony FE?

killersnowman wrote:
What magical EF lenses have a larger image circle? If these exist then thats a bit of a waste. Why would a manufacturer create a lens that did what you say? They couldn't create a shift adapter for their own system because of the flange distance, so they are making these lenses for some mirrorless system from another manufacturer to be used with a non existing shift adapter? It makes no sense...

Now the lenses designed to shift(TSE), yes, they have a larger image circle because they are meant to shift

Do you have proof of a larger image circle?
...Show more

Certainly not Canon lenses, but we do know that many Leica R lenses more than cover the 35mm FF format size. As examples we know from tests done that the Leica R (and M) 560mm f6.8 Telyt (and probably the 400mm f6.8 Telyt) lenses covered 6 X 7 cameras and were used on Pentax 6 X 7 cameras and the Leica R 400mm f2.8 (as I recall) Modular Apo Telyt lens covers the format size of the Leica S cameras (these have been modified). Additionally, to the best of my knowledge many other Leica R lenses would also more than cover the format, but it would require testing for specific lenses. How much these lenses more than cover of course would be a question but they could quite possibly afford some shift as well as tilt.

Rich

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:35 AM
mhespenheide
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shift adapter for Canon EF - Sony FE?

Ross,

I was going to point you towards the getDPI page, but Beni already has. I think the crux of the argument is the points that follow: each individual lens is going to have its own image circle that it projects. Some may happen to have a larger image circle that allows shift; some may not.

It seems like you're looking for a tilt/shift 14mm option. The getDPI thread implies that the Nikon 14-24mm zoom has a large enough image circle, so that might be an option.

I'll add that I do a fair amount of work with an a7r combined with a LA-EA-3 and a Mirex adapter so that I can use Mamiya medium format lenses as tilt/shift lenses. Aside from the fact that it's an all-manual workflow and I only get down to 35mm on the wide end, I've gotten excellent results. I think there's a proof-of-concept there, even if I can't speak to your 14mm desires.

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:49 AM
rosscova
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shift adapter for Canon EF - Sony FE?

Thank you all for the replies. What I'm gathering is that the biggest problem to be faced here is the size of the lens image circle, which is of course lens specific.

I can't speak of the Rokinon I mentioned, but I have definitely seen APS-C lenses cover full-frame sensors (some E mount Sony lenses, and some EF-S mount lenses), suggesting that it may not be uncommon for manufacturers to exceed the minimum coverage, at least on occasion. I notice in the comments at Beni's link above, someone links to an adaptation of the Fuji GX680 mechanism to the Sony a7, and I think a Sigma 14mm was being used with significant movements before any vignetting or mechanical shading could be seen. That is certainly a proof of concept, as is the getdpi OP itself.

Apr 25, 2014 at 07:50 PM
HansenTsang
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shift adapter for Canon EF - Sony FE?

rosscova wrote:
Thank you all for the replies. What I'm gathering is that the biggest problem to be faced here is the size of the lens image circle, which is of course lens specific.

I can't speak of the Rokinon I mentioned, but I have definitely seen APS-C lenses cover full-frame sensors (some E mount Sony lenses, and some EF-S mount lenses), suggesting that it may not be uncommon for manufacturers to exceed the minimum coverage, at least on occasion. I notice in the comments at Beni's link above, someone links to an adaptation of the Fuji GX680 mechanism to the Sony
...Show more

I have been using the Canon TSE 17mm for a while and liked it. Then on a whim I bought the Kipon Nikon lens to E mount tilt and shift adapter.

Yes different lenses do have different size image circle. However that is fairly easy to fix. I just watch the edges when I am shifting and back off a bit when I see the dark edges.

However I found an issue that is a bit harder to correct. That is the image distortion with a ultra wide angle lens. Most wide angle will have a pin cushion distortion. A pin cushion is not too hard to correct in software. However the pin cushion turns into a wave when I shift. Now that I cannot correct in software. It is even more complicated than a mustache.

I guess that's why the Canon 17mm is more expensive. The distortion is really very subtle in the image and no correction is necessary.

So if you are planning to shoot straight lines with the SamYang 14mm with a tilt and shift adapter you need to keep this issue in mind. The SamYang has a lot of distortion as an ultra wide. When you add shift to the equation you may come up with a very funny looking straight line.

Apr 25, 2014 at 08:15 PM
rosscova
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shift adapter for Canon EF - Sony FE?

HansenTsang, that's a very good point that I hadn't thought of at all. I've been relying on software lens corrections, and hadn't considered how complicated they become once movements get involved.

To be honest, this could make the whole thing a non-starter.

Apr 26, 2014 at 08:46 AM
HansenTsang
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Shift adapter for Canon EF - Sony FE?

rosscova wrote:
HansenTsang, that's a very good point that I hadn't thought of at all. I've been relying on software lens corrections, and hadn't considered how complicated they become once movements get involved.

To be honest, this could make the whole thing a non-starter.

It has for me. I have been testing a few lenses last night with the Kipon tilt-shift adapter and it has created a nightmare for me. I went as long as a 24mm lens. Those lenses are perfectly fine shooting normally with a bit of pin cushion. I simply correct it with software. When I shift the lens I have to crop the image a lot to get back the straight lines. They are especially bad on the edges.

Also some lenses have a bigger images circle than others and I get mechanical vignetting really quick on some of them.

So the tilt-shift adapter is a great toy, albeit a $280 toy but not something I can use from day to day shooting houses with it. I will just have to stick with the Canon 17mm TS-E.

Apr 26, 2014 at 01:17 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.