Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Can OMD EM5 be controlled by phone?

Kit Laughlin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can OMD EM5 be controlled by phone?

I need to be able to control the EM5 by some method (wifi, remote cord, carrier pigeon, whatever), and be able to see what it's focussed on and what the framing is (I only need this for videos I shoot when on the road).

My Panny G6 and GX-7s can do this but I prefer the EM5 as a stills/video solution (the IBIS work excellently in video mode).

I am pretty sure it can't, but all suggestions gratefully received; I have been surprised how I have bonded with this 'old' camera and if I can get the 'how to shoot pieces to camera" thing to work, I can take only this camera when I next travel over to the US and Europe. It works brilliantly with the Panny 20/1.7 (and again, the IBIS is outstanding, stills or video).

Apr 24, 2014 at 07:11 PM
kwalsh
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can OMD EM5 be controlled by phone?

If by "control" you mean click the shutter only I think with the right cable (possibly hacked cable) you can get an HDMI output and use a corded shutter release. That's about it as far as I know.

Apr 24, 2014 at 07:39 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can OMD EM5 be controlled by phone?

By control, I mean start video recording. Yeah, I thought so. It's a pity; I like this body very much, but the additional control and opportunities you get with the image.app in the Panny world is hard to beat.

I did not like the ergonomics of the EM1 when I had it, which is why I am trying to get the OM5 to do what I want! Thanks, kl

Apr 24, 2014 at 08:30 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can OMD EM5 be controlled by phone?

Might be worth checking out the E-M10, I'm not sure if it has Wifi, but if it does it's likely the same basic implementation as the E-M1 and E-P5.

Apr 24, 2014 at 09:07 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Can OMD EM5 be controlled by phone?

That's a good idea, maws; I will.

Apr 24, 2014 at 09:50 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Can OMD EM5 be controlled by phone?

maws: I don't know why I looked past the E-M10, but that looks as though it will do exactly what I need (and it has an almost identical interface, too, and size/shape). And wifi seems to work similarly to the Panny's. Thanks for mentioning this.

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:21 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.