New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Posting Children Pictures Online

cambyses
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Posting Children Pictures Online

I am sure this has been discussed before, and I know it may be a bit controversial. But I like to know what the folks on this forum think about it.

Do you guys think it is OK to post pictures of children online without their parents' explicit permission? I am obviously talking about normal pictures a photographer may take at a birthday party, wedding, etc. etc. If the pictures are from a portrait session, I understand that you would typically have a signed contract with your client that would give you permission to use the pictures as you wish for your promotional purposes. But when you take pictures at a party, you may again have a contract with the party host but likely not with the individual participants and guests. Of course this may be seen as an issue between the host and his/her guests, i.e., it should be the host responsibility to let their guests know that their pictures (and in particular, pictures of their children is what I have questions about) may be published online for the potog's promotional purposes. But do you still see any ethical issues or anything with that?

Thanks...

Apr 24, 2014 at 02:21 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Posting Children Pictures Online

Hi,

As you obviously have some concerns about how the parents of the children will see this, I suggest the following:

1. make it clear to the parents that you may post the photos online in the future and give them the chance to "opt out" at that moment (at the party).

2. Respect the wishes of people who do not want to be photographed.

3. Let the parents know THEN (at the party) where you will post the photos (give them a card with an online album link).

Apr 24, 2014 at 05:06 PM
Dave 1234
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Posting Children Pictures Online

Here is a similar story. I taught elementary students and put on a musical with them. The school district video person came to tape the show. Because one parent objected to the taping, the videographer did not photograph that child or anyone within ten feet. That left the parents of those other children very disappointed as they were not able to see their children on the school district's cable channel. It seems to me that in that situation the parent may have decided to have the child not participate. Sometimes, in protecting one child (parental custody case) we trample on the rights of other children.

Apr 24, 2014 at 05:38 PM
zalmyb
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Posting Children Pictures Online

I think generally people expect that if one is specifically taking photos at an event, then many of those photos will end up online somewhere. Unless they specifically say they are uncomfortable with that (which happens) than I don't ask. But I would tell a parent that "I'll try, but if there is a really good photo of the party and your kid is in it, it wouldn't be fair to the one hiring me not to post it, but I'll try not to make that happen." I'd also give them a link to where they could see the photo.

Apr 24, 2014 at 05:52 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Posting Children Pictures Online

Thanks everyone for your comments. I am not concerned about the online gallery that we create for any event we may shoot. We will always have those galleries password protected, and will only share the password with the host (client) or anyone else s/he may request and grant permission for. The issue is more for those few shots among the pictures that we may find good enough to be used in our portfolio, on our FB page, in a forum like this, etc., where there is no password protection.

I like the idea of letting the parents know at the party that their kids' picture may be posted online, and respecting the wishes of anyone who may not like to be photographed. But sometimes in crowded parties that may not be very practical.

Apr 24, 2014 at 06:36 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Posting Children Pictures Online

I post that kind of thing in a password-protected gallery that only the clients can view, or people they share the password with. I've never had an issue with the gallery protected. Also, more importantly, I'm working for the client and my job is to document the party. It's not my job to try to figure out who doesn't want their kids' pics taken, I'm there to shoot. I consider it the client's responsibility to communicate to the parents.

Apr 24, 2014 at 08:36 PM
Yucca
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Posting Children Pictures Online

This is a good question. It is culture related issue also. Here in Finland I have done a lot of photography of youngsters sport.

Most of people like the photos in the teams web pages. Some mothers has told me that her kid is not for web and she donīt like that I publish her kids photos. Team work, like kids ice-hockey it means a lot of work to clean or blur one boy from the photos. Also once I got bad feedback and total ban from the girls figure skating photos.

One father of the player told me that he will go to police to stop my photographing.

Here in Finland photographing is a constitutional right as a part of constitutional freedom of expression. I finish to photograph of that team anyway.

I stop photographing the girls and hide one boy from the other photos.

Took some weeks and coach of the girls came to ask why there are not any more those nice photos. I told her one of the mothers told me not to take photos any more and I finish taking them.
Mother of one ice-hockey player told me not to show her son came to ask me why I spoil the photos by not to show her cute son ?? Also the son was not happy because other players got good pictures for Facebook :-)

Anyway I got a lot of good feedback from the kids and from the most of parents.

Finally I respect wishes of the players and parents to make my hobby and the results of it good and useable for the teams and for the persons on photos.

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:07 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.