New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Slowing down the ocean?

billsamuels
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Slowing down the ocean?

Tomorrow I'm going to the ocean (Pacific Coast) because there will be some really nice storm clouds along the coastline. I've been trying to figure out how to slow down the shutter speed enough to get the water to have that real nice ice affect you get with waterfalls? I went to the same places I'm going tomorrow with my Canon 6D, Polarizers, ND 1,2,3 stop filters, and:
Canon 17-40,
Canon 90-200/F4,
Canon 50mm, F/1.4 (probably too fast),
Tamron 90mm Macro F/2.8,
and now I have the new Bower 14mm F/2.8. And a tripod of course.

also, I don't have a remove shutter release yet, so can I set the camera to put the mirror in the up position and set the timer to 10 seconds to help reduce shake?

I just couldn't get the shutter slow enough to do the job. How do people do this? I read an article in Advanced Photographer about getting a filter called the Big Stopper, but it's very expensive and there must be other ways?

Thanks

Apr 24, 2014 at 02:18 PM
krementz
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Slowing down the ocean?

On the 6D you can use a smart phone, laptop, or tabletas your remote. WWiFi or wired.

Perhaps obvious:
Use ISO 50
f/22
All your filters simultaneously (2 Polaroid crossed are very dark.)
Shutter speed 30 seconds

Apr 24, 2014 at 02:25 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Slowing down the ocean?

You can use LiveView manual focus (or AF) with the two-second timer to eliminate camera shake (as long as the camera is steady two sec after pushing the shutter button). You don't need to use MLU with the 6D.

You should be able to get pretty slow shutter speeds by setting ISO to 100 and lens aperture to something pretty small. For example, if it's a 'normal' sunny day with 'brightness' of Exposure Value (EV) = 15 (approx.), you should be able to get a 1/30 sec shutter speed at ISO 100 with the lens at f/11 and using the 3-stop ND filter. You could go to f/16 for 1/15 sec shutter speed. If it's "storm cloudy", then it might be about EV 12, and you're laughing. The same ISO 100, 3 stop ND and f/11 would give you a 1/4 sec. shutter speed.

Apr 24, 2014 at 02:27 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Slowing down the ocean?

Bill,

Any of your lenses will do the job. You'll have to experiment - in fact you should try lots of very slow shutter values. I've gotten the type of flow you're describing with something as fast as 1/6 second. Other times it's taken 30 seconds or more. I've never handled one, but the 6D is likely capable of 30 second exposures. Past that, put it on "bulb", push the shutter, wait, then let up. You can try all sorts of timings till you get the flow you're looking for. A remote is very useful when you are shooting bulb because you have to manually actuate and release the shutter button. You will of course have to pay attention to your aperture so you don't blow the image away with light. Very narrow is likely to be where you'll need to go.

Hope this gives you some clues to experiment with.

Robert

Apr 24, 2014 at 02:33 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Slowing down the ocean?

I don't think (as far as I know) you can get a slower ISO than 100 on the Canon 6D. If someone knows of a way, I'd love to know because I remember the old days of using Kodachrome 24 and 100 ASA film just seems fast. Also, even with a shutter speed around 1/15 sec, the ocean didn't seem to move as fast as a waterfall where you'd get that intense blur. Does anyone have experience with how close I have to get and how long of an exposure to really get an ocean blur where you can't see the water where it looks like white fuzz?

Apr 24, 2014 at 02:37 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Slowing down the ocean?

billsamuels wrote:
I don't think (as far as I know) you can get a slower ISO than 100 on the Canon 6D....

Sure you can. It's "L(50)". See page 109 of your manual.

Apr 24, 2014 at 02:43 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Slowing down the ocean?

1/15 sec will give a nice blur for spray and retreating foam, if you're after blurring the waves themselves, you'll have to go to the really long exposures mentioned by Rick and Robert. Only one way to find out...

Edited on Apr 24, 2014 at 02:47 PM · View previous versions

Apr 24, 2014 at 02:45 PM
krementz
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Slowing down the ocean?

6D has L as the 50 ISO. You may need to activate the extended ISO in the menu.

I like the look of 30 seconds. I shot at night.

Apr 24, 2014 at 02:46 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Slowing down the ocean?

1) The maximum aperture of the lens is not an issue. You will be stopping way down from the maximum aperture, so even your f/1.4 lens is fine for these purposes.

2) All your lenses will stop down to the point of diffraction loss of sharpness with your 6D -- probably f/16 is where it will show up, but it will be rather insignificant there such that you probably shouldn't worry about it even if you print 16 x 24.

2b) Only you can do the tests to find out your camera's performance and how that accords with your taste.

3) Shoot late, near sunset / dusk, on into the twilight. Alternatively get on site an hour before dawn and start shooting. Lower light levels make the long exposures easier.

4) Your camera shake issues will be much more from wind than from mirror slap / shutter opening. Use your best tripod, fewest number of leg sections, roll the center column down or take it out, and weigh the tripod down with weights, rocks, or camera bags. Stand where you shield the camera from the wind. Have your assistant (if you have a friend with you) stand with you. Time your shots between gusts if you can. Bite the leg tips firmly into the soil.

4b) Camera shake from mirror slap / shutter opening is mostly an issue in the range of 1/100 to one second, depending on focal length and quality of ballhead and tripod. Self timer is plenty good enough. Two second self-timer is probably good enough because resonance on a good tripod is only about one second, longer on not-so-good ones. For long shots that are over a second in length, the amount of shake due to the shutter opening is swamped by the longer stable time during the exposure.

5) On other cameras, not sure about 6D, you can put the camera in to a Low ISO mode which is one stop below the native ISO, usually 50 ISO one below native 100 ISO. This will actually cause you to lose one stop of dynamic range, which may not be an issue depending on time of day (dusk is low contrast often) or weather conditions (storm clouds may block the sun for low contrast or make very bright whites or rays or highlights for high contrast).

6) You can combine ND filters but each filter cuts a slight bit of image quality, less than the diffraction effect, and mostly in lowered contrast and microcontrast.

6b) Make sure your filters and lenses are very clean and monitor them for moisture deposition / salt spray deposition at the coast.

7) You can try combining multiple sequential shots, like say ten shots at two seconds each, if two seconds is the longest you can get in one shot. Combine them as layers in Photoshop. You will have to research the layer mode to make it additive. I found links for the technique (somewhere) and I tried it as a test for a noise reduction technique and figured that it was doable but takes impeccable tripod technique and practice. I intend to revisit it sometime. This is an astrophotography technique called "stacking". You might as well try it and see what happens.

8) Compose your picture with blurred water in mind. It is not an automatic plus for composition and can detract from pictures.

9) Get closer to the water and then larger movement will make more blur. Bear in mind the composition of course.

10) Look at examples to guesstimate exposure length (some may even say) in relation to light levels. You will find that many are shot in twilight. Study them for composition too.

Apr 24, 2014 at 02:50 PM
sangdabom73
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Slowing down the ocean?

It looks like you have enough ND filters. What size are they? Screw on filters have specific size and they will only fit the lenses with that size.
Try to change shooting mode to TV(shutter speed priority) and you can dial it all the way to 30sec exposure. With enough filters stacked on your lens, you should be able to get somewhere between f8-f16, depending on the light condition. You should try adding/removing ND filters so that you get desired f stop that you want.

One thing you want to be aware is that if you stack too many filters at very wide angle(17mm for example), the filters will show on your image and leave ugly dark black vignette-like circle around. So, make sure to experiment before you actually shoot. Good luck

Apr 24, 2014 at 02:59 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Slowing down the ocean?

jcolwell wrote:

I found it, thanks! You can go down to ISO 50 according to the owners manual. I'll try it tomorrow.

I'm enjoying the Canon 6D a lot, but it's so much more complicated than my Rebel XTI, while being able to do so much more at the same time. I haven't even found out all it can do. SO so so much more than my 1980's vintage Olympus OM2S that I traveled all over North America, Canada, and New Zealand. The one thing that's so neat though is that I'm finding that those lenses work much better on my 6D then they did on the Olympus film camera (simple lens attachment w/o even any glass).

Again, thanks for the comments. Let me know if you have anything else you can try. The most fantastic pictures were in Advanced Photographer where the water looked like whipped cream.

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:03 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Slowing down the ocean?

If you're trying to get pictures of clouds, then wouldn't the long exposure also "smear" the clouds as they move? Maybe you need to capture 1 long exposure and 1 short exposure and then blend them in post?

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:12 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Slowing down the ocean?

jcolwell wrote:

All ISO50 does is is just expose ISO100 one extra stop and chop off the top 1 stop of highlights so it really doesn't gain you anything anyway.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:58 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Slowing down the ocean?

amacal1 wrote:
If you're trying to get pictures of clouds, then wouldn't the long exposure also "smear" the clouds as they move? Maybe you need to capture 1 long exposure and 1 short exposure and then blend them in post?

Indeed. If the storm clouds are the subject then surely their movement (or lack of) is what one should use to determine shutter speed. If the clouds and, more importantly, the light are merely a backdrop to the water then long exposure could be good for dramatic effect (and to enhance light rays, colors etc.). Monito's advice is great. Could also try long-exposure HDR for some interesting blending effects.

Having said that, IMO the first ND filter to buy is an ND3.0 (10 stop) because you can always bump up ISO if you need more light and there are plenty of 10-stop ND filters that are not the price of a Lee Big Stopper (screw in versions and 4x4).

Apr 25, 2014 at 01:27 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.