New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Tripod head for someone just getting started

Ttown Aubie
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tripod head for someone just getting started

I have just bought my first DSLR a canon 6D and so far I am enjoying my new hobby!!

My question today is what type and brand would you guys recommend in a tripod head? So far the only lenses I have are the 24-105 that came with the camera and a 50mm prime. I currently own a Manfrotto tripod (do not remember the model right now) with a Manfrotto 3130 head that I used for some video projects.

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:50 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tripod head for someone just getting started

What's your budget?

Apr 24, 2014 at 03:35 PM
Ttown Aubie
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tripod head for someone just getting started

I would not mind spending a few hundred dollars for the right head. I do not have an exact budget.

Apr 24, 2014 at 07:55 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tripod head for someone just getting started

Do you hike a lot, or typically travel short distances from your vehicle?
What tripod do you have and do you plan on keeping this one for now?

Apr 24, 2014 at 08:21 PM
freitz
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tripod head for someone just getting started

Subbed. Interested in the answer

Apr 24, 2014 at 09:09 PM
Ttown Aubie
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tripod head for someone just getting started

I have a Manfrotto 190xdb aluminum tripod. I will upgrade the tripod at some point in the future but it is what I have for now.

Most of my shoots are currently within easy walking distance from a vehicle.

Apr 24, 2014 at 09:20 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tripod head for someone just getting started

I like the RRS BH-30. I use it for travel. It handles a 1D-series body with 24-105/4L IS on a body clamp, or with 70-200/2.8 L IS II on a tripod mount ring clamp, with no problems.

Apr 25, 2014 at 07:39 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tripod head for someone just getting started

Get a ballhead that uses the Arca-Swiss type of clamp/plate connection as it's very widely used. Gitzo and Manfrotto heads use proprietary clamping systems and are to be avoided for that reason if no other. When you buy an Arca-Swiss type of head you'll also need to buy a plate for your camera. There are many manufacturers that make decent quality plates. Arca-Swiss, Markins and RRS are all quality ballhead brands.

Apr 25, 2014 at 08:12 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tripod head for someone just getting started

If you're looking for a good budget head, Sirui and Sunwayfoto are nice and will fit your 190:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QC3COO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2HHNIIDPH700W&coliid=IV5MFYRC1WOR1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KT6KZM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2HHNIIDPH700W&coliid=I1ZP1H79R8883F

If you can break the bank, the RRS BH30 or BH40 are the ultimate. Realize that you'll need to buy a fitted plate for your 6D, Both Sunwayfoto and RRS make excellent plates with contoured anti-twist lip. I like both those models since they are large--cover the entire bottom save for the battery door--making mounting quick and easy.

http://www.amazon.com/SUNWAYFOTO-PC-6D-Camera-Compatible-Sunway/dp/B00F69Q0WW/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:45 AM
Erikgn

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tripod head for someone just getting started

I'm interested in what heads people recommend as well, as I just have a really cheap Walmart tripod currently. It seems like most all those recommended are ball heads -- is it common knowledge that ball heads are the way to go unless you have a specific need for something else?

Apr 25, 2014 at 02:33 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tripod head for someone just getting started

Sunwayfoto is probally the best for the money, but, if you ever want to shoot panos: http://www.amazon.com/SUNWAYFOTO-FB-36DDHi-Tripod-Panning-Compatible/dp/B00E4TB7ZK/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1398454797&sr=1-22&keywords=SUNWAYFOTO

Indexing head is smooth and all you will need is a: http://www.amazon.com/SUNWAYFOTO-140mm-Compatible-DMP-140-Sunway/dp/B005SUNDR4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1398454946&sr=1-2&keywords=SUNWAYFOTO+nodal

A Desmond L bracket is generic and I always keep one handy if I rent a 5DIII or 6D and allows you to go verticle. http://www.amazon.com/Desmond-DAL-1-Release-Compatible-Camera/dp/B00AR04OI2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1398460199&sr=1-1&keywords=desmond+l+plate

I own all these products.

Apr 25, 2014 at 02:43 PM
mine1

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tripod head for someone just getting started

for that price you could go for the Markins q3t (has problems in sub zero temps) around 300 bucks. and the Photo clam Pro 38ns. They are both very similar in weight and feel the markins is said to be a little smoother but the photoclam is 100 bucks cheaper.

Apr 25, 2014 at 07:30 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tripod head for someone just getting started

Erikgn wrote:
I'm interested in what heads people recommend as well, as I just have a really cheap Walmart tripod currently. It seems like most all those recommended are ball heads -- is it common knowledge that ball heads are the way to go unless you have a specific need for something else?

Ball heads offer infinite levels of adjustment in any direction, which is why they're the default choice for most people (and they're relatively compact). If you're using large telephoto lenses then a gimbal head might be a better bet and if you're planning to shoot video where you'll be panning then a fluid head is usually the best option for smooth movement.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:10 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.