New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Tightening an RRS LRII

trueimage
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tightening an RRS LRII

Hi,

I just bought a used RRS ball head with an LR II clamp and when the level is full "closed" both my Markins L plate and my RRS foot plate for a lens can slide. If I only "close" the level halfway - that is the spot where it is pushing the most on the plate, then they don't slide and are secure-ish (as long as you don't move the clamp lever)

Now, I'm just wondering, is there any way to remedy this or should I return the item and buy another one?

Thanks

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:23 PM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tightening an RRS LRII

Call RRS to ask what they would charge for a repair. With that information, you can decide what to do. A fix involves removing the lever by driving out a pin, and then carefully shimming the stack of spring washers with some combination of flat washers that gives you more clamping force. I know what is in there that would need changing, but have never done it before. If it is cheap to return it for a refund, that is likely your best bet.

Do you have a source to check one other reall RRS plate or bracket, on the small chance that the one you have is slightly wrong? RRS and Wimberley are the only "correct" sizes of plates that should work right with a RRS lever clamp, and the Markins could be off a bit.

Apr 24, 2014 at 03:00 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tightening an RRS LRII

that is a markins issue. they have always been known to be shy of the correct fit for the RRS lever. there are a few out there that are like that. kirk fits a wee snug but fits. Hejnar fits. FPGear fits. promediagear fits and others too.

Markins themselves makes a lever locking clamp that is adjustable. but then that opens up
a whole other set of issues. both Markins and RRS say on their websites that one should decide and use one brand of plates to maintain a sizing to work with.

there are more then a few plates out there from various sources that lack consistent precision.

from the RRS site

NOTE: Choose a Lever Release clamp ONLY if you have quick release plates from Really Right Stuff or Wimberley. Lever Release clamp are not user-adjustable, and different manufacturers may follow different standards when producing Arca-Swiss compatible plates. Specifically, our Lever Release clamps do not work with plates from Markins, AcraTech, Arca-Swiss, and some Kirk platesūthe dovetails are too shallow. Choose a screw-knob clamp if you have plates OTHER than those from RRS or Wimberley

Apr 24, 2014 at 04:55 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tightening an RRS LRII

sjms wrote:
that is a markins issue.

Steve, I think he also mentioned having the problem with an RRS lens plate:

trueimage wrote:
I just bought a used RRS ball head with an LR II clamp and when the level is full "closed" both my Markins L plate and my RRS foot plate
for a lens can slide.

Apr 24, 2014 at 06:12 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tightening an RRS LRII

well if there is an issue with a RRS plate they will resolve it.

thanks for reading for me

as was mentioned they (RRS) can "adjust" the clamp but it might cost or possible replacement too (partial price). i have seen a LL that was forced by the owner when trying to clamp a plate not fully in the throat. with a determined individual damage can be accomplished.

i had the RRS plate for my 150 macro wouldn't fit my new clamp. it was replaced by RRS.

Apr 24, 2014 at 06:48 PM
trueimage
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tightening an RRS LRII

Thanks for the advice - the RRS foot plate was only a little loose compared to the Markins plate. I found and tried a 5D2 L plate (RRS) and that one is perfectly tight.

Maybe I will just resell this head and order a Markins Q3 Emile with a knob instead of a lever. Going on a trip on Friday and cut this a bit close

Apr 26, 2014 at 02:29 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tightening an RRS LRII

You can probably replace the LR clamp on the head with a screw clamp.

Apr 26, 2014 at 03:19 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tightening an RRS LRII

easily done too on a RRS head. no locktite involved

Apr 27, 2014 at 05:28 AM
Gene_C
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tightening an RRS LRII

And very difficult to do on a Markins head. I have had no success with better than average tool access and mechanical skills.

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:56 AM
trueimage
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tightening an RRS LRII

Wait, what is easy? I understand I can order the RRS B2-Pro-II plate with a knob, I'm just not sure it will be here in time.

If I order the Markins, it will come with the screw knob and should work with Markins and RRS and other arca swiss style plates regardless of exact size.

My only big reservation is that the bubble level on the markins is under where the camera attaches, so once mounted you can't see it...

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:30 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tightening an RRS LRII

the physical action of replacement is easy. your timing has made it not so much. 5P's

answer to markins bubble issue: simply level the clamp and then attach. I don't even use the bubble on my BH55 and neither of my BH40/30 has them

Apr 27, 2014 at 09:50 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.