New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Food on the Trail

Timmeh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Food on the Trail

Hi all,

After my fourth dinner peanut butter sandwich on my last photo trip, I realized just how small my list of edible lunches and dinners is when in remote locations. In national parks there's usually a restaurant to be found, but they often end up closed when returning from a sunset location (especially during summer). This may have been mentioned in the past, but I couldn't find anything in search (cue someone better with search pointing me in the right direction), so I apologize in advance if this has already been covered. Jim/Fred please move this topic if you think it's inappropriate in the landscape forum. What do you eat for lunches and dinners, when getting the shot and scouting is the priority?

Tim

Apr 24, 2014 at 09:01 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Food on the Trail

Hmm, if camping, I have cereal and lunch stuff in the back of my pick up. Of course I avoid hiking in the middle of the day, that time is for scouting in the vehicle. I have to stay out of the sun anyway.

I try to be near a town in late afternoon and have an early dinner so I can have the golden hour reserved for photography. 3:30 is not too early for dinner since 4:30 is my normal time even at home.

Motel trips are similar other than I may go shot sunrise and return to the motel for breakfast with my wife who does not go with me at sunrise.

I have had breakfast at the parking area of Mesa Arch on my tailgate. The tough part for me is getting coffee. I have a way to make it at camp if I am there, but much more difficult in the field. They sell coffee at Dead Horse point, but only well after I am done shooting and wanting to move on.

Filling the dead time between the two golden hours especially if you already know the area and don't need to scout is the tough part.

Apr 24, 2014 at 09:09 AM
wswartzwel
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Food on the Trail

Granola bars, nuts, dried fruit, Tuna Fish is now sold in foil packets that are easy to carry. Hard to beat Peanut Butter though.

Apr 24, 2014 at 09:27 AM
beyondvisible

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Food on the Trail

Tim

my brother and I lived on sandwiches & soup for 8 days on the Isle of Skye, so much to see and photograph, so little time to find the only restaurant on the island. Peanut butter does travel well so it is normally on the menu. Tortillas seem a good substitute for bread. Marmite, honey, Nutella, cream cheese etc for spreading. Nuts & dried fruit for snacks, supplemented with "energy" bars. Fruit & vegetables if possible, some last OK some don't. I like cereal for breakfast so try to use longlife soy milk.
Upon leaving the island we did find a pizza place and over indulged with a pizza each. We had plenty of soup but only "cooked" twice, time was too valuable or we were too tired from late sunsets and early sunrises. There was no "in-between" golden hour dead times for me as I also like to shoot IR.
We may have been hungrier than "normal" but either the scenery was too exciting or we were too tired to care. Point is you can get by as we normally eat much more than necessary anyway.

Apr 24, 2014 at 09:38 AM
Slabshaft
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Food on the Trail

I'm all about my PB&J burritos and beer. Perfect camping food for photographers.

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:00 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Food on the Trail

I live on freeze dried backpacking meals and granola bars when I'm in the middle of nowhere on shooting trips. Some of those freeze dried meals are surprisingly tasty, and they are fast to make. After a week or so, I definitely crave "real" food though.

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:10 AM
briancphoto
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Food on the Trail

If its just for a meal or two I live on energy bars because it is easy. When we go on multi meal backpacking trips we invested in a Jetboil system. Small lightweight and easy to carry along. We bought our own food dehydrator and my wife (who likes to cook) makes our own dehydrated meals. Its super quick- boil water in a couple minutes. Pour it in a zip lock with the food and have a hot meal. Almost no clean up since we just eat out of the bag. Also allows hot coffee in the morning and that is hard to beat. As a treat we always bring M&Ms or something similar which we never have at home but taste sooo good under the stars.

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:26 AM
badtzsan

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Food on the Trail

Granola bars, peanut butter, crackers, coffee mix ...

Apr 28, 2014 at 07:06 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Food on the Trail

badtzsan wrote:
Granola bars, peanut butter, crackers, coffee mix ...

pretty much the same for me.

Apr 29, 2014 at 01:01 AM
rooibos1986

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Food on the Trail

Graze throughout the day for me. Beef Jerky and such. I actually enjoy it more.

May 02, 2014 at 12:21 AM
codyconway
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Food on the Trail

Mary Jane Farms freeze dried meals. You can do a lot with them and they pack small. Designed for backpackers, but made organic and tasty.

May 02, 2014 at 04:22 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Food on the Trail

If you're out just for the day then sandwiches and chocolate/granola bars are what you want. A flask of hot soup is also a good idea if you are going to be getting a bit cold.

For camping/overnight trips then you want freeze dried meals in a packet, as Ben suggests. For that you just need a lightweight burner (like this http://primuscamping.com/products/express-stove-with-piezo) and a pan to heat the water. I am a big fan of porridge for breakfast too. For that i take pre-measured packets of oats and raisins and heat them with some water.

May 03, 2014 at 03:39 AM
mahicks

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Food on the Trail

I'm a fan of cliff bars, the foil tuna fish packets, individual packs of guacamole and pita bread, dried fruits and nuts. I also have a MSR pocket rocket stove that mounts to the top of a fuel canister and a GSI Glacier Minimalist cookset for when you want something warm.

May 07, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Food on the Trail

I'm partial to tofu burgers and an asparagus juice shake, but I do have a fridge in my Sportsmobile van.

May 07, 2014 at 01:15 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Food on the Trail

... http://jeffersonposter.smugmug.com/photos/i-R4pB8H8/0/M/i-R4pB8H8-M.jpg ...

Shoot it in the morning ... eat it for lunch ...

No need to carry dried out pretend food ... just bring a few matches, find some Hickory ... or Oak ...

... Lunch ...

Also ... beer (liquid bread) should be brought along to help wash down any nuts and berries found along the trail that are not used to stuff the subject of the photo ...

You can also take "before and after" photos ... post both in Nature and Wildlife and Food Photography catagories ...

Make that next trip into the field a memorable occasion ...

May 08, 2014 at 10:39 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.