Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2014 · I was proud of this when I shot it, but now...

widjayaman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · I was proud of this when I shot it, but now...

form wrote:
But you're forgetting: A very good photographer told me I did it wrong, he explained details of composition that I do not fully comprehend, and so on. Plus, I'm not satisfied with the image and I don't really know why or how to fix it.

You're also forgetting that said photographer said that the reason you don't improve is because you'd "rather dismiss yourself as a failure than take the steps to get better."

Joey, if you really, really want to 'create art', then this woe-is-me, pouty way to do it is the worst path you could possibly choose. "Settle" is a photographer's worst enemy.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:32 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · I was proud of this when I shot it, but now...

I just don't understand why you get so much attention on this forum. It's the same 'ol song and dance, like old country western songs where guys cried over their beers over girls who had done them wrong. At least now, everyone isn't trying to convince you that you have talent. What talent you have is wasted by a lack of drive, a lack of willingness to learn and improve. You take the easy road, then come on here and complain about yourself.

Why don't you take the hard road? Why don't you take a couple friends outside and just recreate the shot, but change up the composition and see what happens.

By the way, that would be called "practice". You're not supposed to "practice" on the job, but on your own, and that's how you get better. When you take the time to "practice", you can change things up and maybe that's when you'll start seeing things differently.

Apr 25, 2014 at 02:10 PM
peacefrog33756
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · I was proud of this when I shot it, but now...

I like them! They remind me somehow of scenes from the Robert Rodriguez films, 'Desperado' and 'Once Upon A Time In Mexico.'

Apr 25, 2014 at 02:28 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · I was proud of this when I shot it, but now...

It's like driving by a bad car wreck....the same car wreck...for the 37th time....and you still just keep looking at it.

I think more time and energy has been put into trying to help Joey with his neuroses than probably anything else on these forums. I bet we have even given tips to new photographers fewer times. *sigh*

Apr 25, 2014 at 02:49 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · I was proud of this when I shot it, but now...

joelconner wrote:
It's like driving by a bad car wreck....the same car wreck...for the 37th time....and you still just keep looking at it.

I think more time and energy has been put into trying to help Joey with his neuroses than probably anything else on these forums. I bet we have even given tips to new photographers fewer times. *sigh*

The valuable thing about public critiques, though, is that they can potentially help others who aren't asking questions or posting images for feedback. Knowing this, if I feel like I have something constructive to contribute, I try to do so. I know that when I view what others post, I also look at what the feedback is. Sometimes there's really valuable information there that can help address some fundamental problems that I may have in my own work.

Apr 25, 2014 at 02:55 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · I was proud of this when I shot it, but now...

I think public critiques are great...I fully appreciate them. This, though, is an entirely different beast.

Apr 25, 2014 at 03:06 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · I was proud of this when I shot it, but now...

joelconner wrote:
I think public critiques are great...I fully appreciate them. This, though, is an entirely different beast.

I grant you that!

Apr 25, 2014 at 03:25 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · I was proud of this when I shot it, but now...

hard to beleive this attitude again and again, he is just playing a role for whatever reason !!!

Apr 25, 2014 at 03:29 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · I was proud of this when I shot it, but now...

Must agree. The more he is self-deprecating, the more it seems contrived. He does like attention.

joelconner wrote:

Apr 25, 2014 at 05:29 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · I was proud of this when I shot it, but now...

Shoot it like this next time?

http://trashthedressaustralia.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/altfshovelcopy1.jpg

Apr 25, 2014 at 05:36 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · I was proud of this when I shot it, but now...

I do not think he does it for the attention. I genuinely believe that he sees others being happy and feeling at least somewhat satisfied with where they are in their craft and business, and he wants to get there too. But, he is overwhelmed by his unhappiness and frustrations...and cannot get past it.

If photography made me as miserable as it seems to make him, I would have bailed a long time ago.

Apr 25, 2014 at 05:56 PM
julieawhitlock
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · I was proud of this when I shot it, but now...

Let's be real. What you think and feel is not so different than what we all do from time to time. We all think we suck. We all think we are impostors. Just most of it either keep it in our heads or within our group of friends. Your self-loathing is pretty much normal for most artists.

form wrote:
But you're forgetting: A very good photographer told me I did it wrong, he explained details of composition that I do not fully comprehend, and so on. Plus, I'm not satisfied with the image and I don't really know why or how to fix it. The last #4 is the one I spent the most time editing by drawing out the shovel and removing the chimney and a few other things, and IMO it is the most successful one. However, I also think the closeup one works better as a composition in some ways because she is more prominent and
...Show more

Apr 25, 2014 at 06:28 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · I was proud of this when I shot it, but now...

I'll bite...

These images fail because the composition is awful. How long did you spend thinking before you took the shots? Not much, I'd guess. (And clearly it was 'not enough.) Did you identify the main subjects (bride, shovel, truck/arm, background?) Did you consider how sharp each item wanted to be? (As suggested, slight background softness wouldn't hurt.)

Dude, 'photography' is not about obsessing over meaningless crap like amplifier glow. Get over it. It's NOT helping. At the moment, and very much IMO!, you are not a 'photographer,' you are a Gear Dweeb With a Camera who is living in a world where 99% of Gear Dweebery is, despite its wide popularity, a waste of energy...

Nor does a 'photographer' rely on the camera to 'take a good picture' no matter what lighting or composition he throws at it. (Not to dog pile, but I see that a lot in your efforts.) Nor is it about spending hours in post trying to rescue a dead dog. IMO, 'Photography' is about what happens inside your head BEFORE you push the shutter. You need to learn to live with DOF limits, and finite dynamic range, and sensor noise, and lots of other irritating technical shortcomings. Forget that shit. Instead, take the time to arrange the subjects - within those technical bounds! - such that they harmonize and don't clash with each other. If you have trouble seeing this 'big picture,' try composing with the lens racked out of focus. This will reduce the main subjects to blobs of light and color. Arrange the blobs in an attractive pattern before proceeding...

Before you can start to learn to do any of this, you are going to have to accept that the camera can not 'rescue' you from the problems you will encounter. The camera is not the limiting factor. If you can't get past that, you'll never improve.

May 05, 2014 at 12:15 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.