FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2014 · Upgrading

mttran
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Upgrading

Sony and Fuji & Panny are now taking about their new 24-30 stops DR curve sensor by late 2015. This is their bigger news lately

Edited on Apr 28, 2014 at 07:00 PM · View previous versions

Apr 28, 2014 at 05:26 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Upgrading

johnctharp wrote:
This is the *only* >1"/MFT/APS-C camera that can read it's entire sensor for video. That's a revolution, of course, but remember that it's a 12MP sensor- scaling that up to their 36MP sensors will still be a challenge for Sony.

Canon still has their cinema line, of which the C100 just got an available DPAF upgrade, and that setup is actually more versatile than what's in the 70D. And then there's the whole rolling shutter issue, which Canon is rumored to fix in a global shutter-equipped DSLR.

I think that Canon basically has a stack of improvements, and like any smart business,
...Show more

I have no doubt that canon is currently working for a best one. How long is the question we are now facing.

Apr 28, 2014 at 05:42 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Upgrading

Arka wrote:
I have no problem at all with video integration, provided it is done well and doesn't get in the way of making good still images. I don't use it much, but I can certainly imagine times that I would use it, and am happy that I don't have to purchase a separate camera to do it.

That describes my feelings more or less. I'm happy to have video (and great video, at that) in my 5DII... even though I almost never use it. It is well integrated and does/did not impair the functionality of the camera at all.

I think my comment was more about the context of the question (the sense that Canon is not moving along as quickly in some aspects of still photography functionality at the moment) with its suggestion that Canon is doing what photographers are telling them they want, namely focus on more powerful video functionality even if that means holding back on still image performance.

And, as I suggested in a follow up comment, it is often wise to not give too much credibility to what you think you are reading in a media interview with the spokesperson for a corporation. (Not just Canon. Any corporation.) There is a fine art to saying things that allow your listeners/readers to fill in the blanks with whatever hopes or preconceptions they may have.

I'm not one to flip out any time some other company comes out with something new and impressive. (Heck, I'm still happily shooting with my 5DII!) However, things in the camera market have evolved in ways that have turned the tables on Canon significantly. Not that many years ago, Canon was arguably ahead of all the other companies in most camera-related ways:

- full frame sensors

- high MP sensors

- overall image quality

- integrated video

- full line from consumer to professional gear

What has changed? Non-DSLR high end (and consumer) cameras are coming on strong. Canon is no longer the only company producing full frame sensor cameras. Other companies are producing higher MP sensor cameras for those who want them. Other companions are producing cameras/systems that are at least as good at the high end. Everyone now integrates video and provides live view or the equivalent.

This is not meant to denigrate Canon but rather to point out that the game has changed. It is interesting to me that it was only a year or two ago that there was talk that the camera market had made the bulk of possible improvements in digital cameras. Seems that many spoke too soon.

On the plus side, a few years back I wrote a piece about how I expected that eventually Canon would sell full frame cameras for prices equivalent to those of the better cropped sensor bodies. I took a bit of grief on that one... but his week I saw 6D bodies selling in the mid- to upper-$1000s range. Looks like it has happened. :-)

Take care,

Dan

Edited on Apr 28, 2014 at 09:56 PM · View previous versions

Apr 28, 2014 at 06:36 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Upgrading

Arka wrote:
Wow.

Indeed. Set 1080p/1440p/2160p before playing. It's all about lower noise & wider DR

Apr 28, 2014 at 09:21 PM
krementz
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Upgrading

Dan

Take a close look in this video to see a tough road ahead that canon might face in the long run: http://youtu.be/XgbUgNiHfXM

Wow.

Yeah, "Wow" squared! ISO 400,000!!!

I do wonder how much of this clip may be artificially exaggerated, ie, is the ISO 1600 clip darkened in post or shot at f/22? Also, is this shot near sunrise, and the later portions actually have better light? The inset 1600 clip is not being shot simultaneously; compare the shape of the flames at the very of the clip. The 1600 clip might be from an hour earlier and much darker.

Many unknowns. Regardless, impressive.

Apr 29, 2014 at 10:22 AM
rhZhao

p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Upgrading

Wise choice, I bought my 5d3 few months ago, I do have A7R as the other choice. But I think maybe 5d3 could be more easier to fit with EF lens, I do have a NEX5N, and I do enjoy the old lens, but I just could not stand the face that I missed a lots of great moment when I focus manually.

Apr 29, 2014 at 05:04 PM
rhZhao

p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Upgrading

bTW
I hear the 5D3 is perfect for video recording. They put an incredible processor in the camera so it have potential to record the raw video or 4K after cracking, but of cause, Canon would not recommend you to do that.

Apr 29, 2014 at 05:06 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Upgrading

Welcome to FM, rhZhao. 25 posts in your first five hours. Congratulations.

Apr 29, 2014 at 05:09 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Upgrading

Wow.

Yeah, "Wow" squared! ISO 400,000!!!

I do wonder how much of this clip may be artificially exaggerated, ie, is the ISO 1600 clip darkened in post or shot at f/22? Also, is this shot near sunrise, and the later portions actually have better light? The inset 1600 clip is not being shot simultaneously; compare the shape of the flames at the very of the clip. The 1600 clip might be from an hour earlier and much darker.

Many unknowns. Regardless, impressive.

Apr 29, 2014 at 08:21 PM
krementz
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Upgrading

mttran - thanks for the link. Very impressive, and it certainly looks totally real.

Apr 29, 2014 at 08:53 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Upgrading

krementz wrote:
Very impressive, and it certainly looks totally real.

+1, in couple months they did release a triple crown 12, 24 and 36MP FF mirror less cam. One BIS and two FIS, very impressive indeed.

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:20 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.