New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Help on monitor and printer calibration tools

LSExplorer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help on monitor and printer calibration tools

I feel an increasing need for a monitor and/or printer calibration tool so that I can edit/display images with accuracies and consistency between monitor and printer devices. However, I am new to this topic and am not sure what tools are best for this purpose. Right now I googled and found that there are two calibrators: x-rite and spider. Which one is better? I would like to hear your inputs on this and I appreciate your advices.

Apr 23, 2014 at 08:34 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help on monitor and printer calibration tools

ColorMunki Display or the slightly more expensive i1Display Pro (faster w/ better, more flexible software).

Apr 23, 2014 at 09:56 PM
John Wheeler
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help on monitor and printer calibration tools

howardm4 wrote:
ColorMunki Display or the slightly more expensive i1Display Pro (faster w/ better, more flexible software).

+1

I suggest using the provided ICC profiles for you printer/ink/paper combination as a start. To build your own custom paper profiles requires a hardward/software solution that is considerably more expensive than just the display calibrators.

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:12 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help on monitor and printer calibration tools

+1 for the i1Display Pro. I used the previous model/version from X-Rite and find the Display Pro software much better. Using the correct ICC paper profile along with callibrating your monitor, will,produce prints which are very close in color and brightness. Investing in a good wide gamut monitor is a must as well.

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:14 AM
ruben_f

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help on monitor and printer calibration tools

Hi there,

First of all, before buying a calibration tool, be sure to take a look at color management in general.

Here are two videos I find well explained for basics:

I got the Spyder4Studio case some years ago which I use for my workflow. Works fine for me so long.
My prints match the pictures on my screen within the color gamut that my printer has. I can compare with the Photoshop SoftProof function having my print seen under my standard daylight bulb.

Cheers
Ruben

May 14, 2014 at 08:14 AM
SWRToad
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help on monitor and printer calibration tools

ruben_f wrote:
Hi there,

First of all, before buying a calibration tool, be sure to take a look at color management in general.

Here are two videos I find well explained for basics:

I got the Spyder4Studio case some years ago which I use for my workflow. Works fine for me so long.
My prints match the pictures on my screen within the color gamut that my printer has. I can compare with the Photoshop SoftProof function having my print seen under my standard daylight bulb.

Cheers
Ruben

Both really good links, color management in simple terms. Thanks for sharing.

May 15, 2014 at 10:19 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.