Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Anyone have a 1Dx circuit board go bad?

Deborah Kolt
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone have a 1Dx circuit board go bad?

Has anyone here had to have the circuit board on a 1dx replaced? This has now happened on both of my bodies and I'm trying to isolate the cause. Symptoms include camera switching file type in mid shoot (RAW to JPEG, RAW to sRAW, RAW to M2), camera switching cards in mid shoot, bizarre behavior of displayed focal points (larger center point jumping out to the expansion point ring and moving around it), camera locking up, and distorted preview image.

Camera settings have been ruled out. No alcohol was involved. Demonic possession is possible, but I'm hoping to find a more prosaic cause, like a bad card or battery gone bad.

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:09 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone have a 1Dx circuit board go bad?

Static discharge? Do you plug anything into the camera often?

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:16 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone have a 1Dx circuit board go bad?

Never heard of this issue before now. It is very strange that it happened to 2 bodies. Did Canon give any thoughts on what might be causing this?

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone have a 1Dx circuit board go bad?

Sorry about your misfortune.
But I will admit to smiling at your last paragraph.
Funny.

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:27 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone have a 1Dx circuit board go bad?

Did you use the same batteries in both bodies? Maybe one of them caused some kind of power surge/spike that overloaded the system.

I've never seen it happen but will the 1DX battery charger warn you about a defective battery? Might be worth recalibrating all your batteries to see what happens. Then again if it is a battery issue would it also take out the charger as well. Ouch, that would hurt.

Edited on Apr 23, 2014 at 10:34 AM · View previous versions

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:28 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone have a 1Dx circuit board go bad?

Forgot to say: please let us know when you find out what was wrong.
It got me curious, since it affected both cameras.

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:33 AM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone have a 1Dx circuit board go bad?

Snapsy, I never plug anything into the camera. Climate indoors here has controlled humidity. Incidents were both inside and outside and in different locations.

Arbitrage, Canon is equally puzzled. They've apparently had very little issue with circuit boards. In the file switching incidents, the same lens was mounted, but not when the center point went walkabout. The preview distortion was observed by Canon, not me, so my batteries weren't involved then. Canon apparently has very few issues that involve high end cards, and not with electrical ramifications.

I swap cards and batteries between cameras, and until now have never kept track of which was used where. Batteries are both Canon original equipment. I use both Lexar and Sandisk cards.

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:40 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone have a 1Dx circuit board go bad?

Not on my 1DX. But two times on my 1D2.
I bought a used 24-70 lens. And inside the lens was a loose small screw. (I didn't knew that) When I started to shoot the circuit board in the camera was broken. Repaired the camera and the same thing happend again. Then I could hear a sound inside the lens from the loose screw. Took the camera and lens to Canon service center again. They repaired both and told me that the loose screw was stuck inside the lens so the shutter couldn't open/close like it should. And because of that it fried the circuit board.

Canon Service Center in Bangkok repaired both the used lens and the camera two times for free. (no warranty) and lend me another 1 series body for one week.

Edited on Apr 23, 2014 at 10:51 AM · View previous versions

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone have a 1Dx circuit board go bad?

Canon reps seem as puzzled as I am. One body was purchased right when the 1dx came out, and the circuit board went in February/March when it had over 124,00 clicks on it. The other I've had for almost a year, and it went at 86,000.

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:50 AM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone have a 1Dx circuit board go bad?

Lars, that's interesting. My 70-200 II was mounted both times the cameras switched file types on their own, though not during the weird focal point display movement, which was the earliest issue with the second camera. The lens had been serviced during the winter. I'll have to see if that was before or after the problems began.

Edited on Apr 23, 2014 at 11:44 AM · View previous versions

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:55 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone have a 1Dx circuit board go bad?

Did Canon do failure analysis on the two boards to isolate what component failed?

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:56 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone have a 1Dx circuit board go bad?

Deborah Kolt wrote:
Has anyone here had to have the circuit board on a 1dx replaced? This has now happened on both of my bodies and I'm trying to isolate the cause. Symptoms include camera switching file type in mid shoot (RAW to JPEG, RAW to sRAW, RAW to M2), camera switching cards in mid shoot, bizarre behavior of displayed focal points (larger center point jumping out to the expansion point ring and moving around it), camera locking up, and distorted preview image.

Camera settings have been ruled out. No alcohol was involved. Demonic possession is possible, but I'm hoping to find
...Show more

Absolutely. My almost new 1Dx would consistently and repeatedly back focus. Occasionally it would just brick and couldn't be brought back without removing the battery. (A challenge while on one's knees at the baseline of a basketball game as one makes sure to dodge diving players.) There were other oddities like not retaining settings, etc. I sent it in and while it took longer than usual "extended testing being performed" it came back working well. Among the things listed on the return form was "PCB replaced."

I hope it's under warranty but no matter what, I think it's "electronic infestation" rather than "demonic possession."

Robert

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:57 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone have a 1Dx circuit board go bad?

Not me.

I did have a 5D that was diagnosed as being "brain dead". The circuit board was replaced (water damage).

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone have a 1Dx circuit board go bad?

snapsy wrote:
Did Canon do failure analysis on the two boards to isolate what component failed?

I haven't been able to get any details. If either fails again, I'm to send in all components.

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:35 AM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone have a 1Dx circuit board go bad?

Robert, did yours ever work properly, or was it bad out of the box?

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:39 AM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone have a 1Dx circuit board go bad?

ggreene wrote:
Did you use the same batteries in both bodies? Maybe one of them caused some kind of power surge/spike that overloaded the system.

I've never seen it happen but will the 1DX battery charger warn you about a defective battery? Might be worth recalibrating all your batteries to see what happens. Then again if it is a battery issue would it also take out the charger as well. Ouch, that would hurt.

I do switch batteries occasionally. More precisely, I don't pay attention to which battery goes in which camera. So that is a possibility. I know which battery locked it up - that happened right before I sent it in. (Pressed shutter, heard a clunk, viewfinder dark, shutter non-responsive, but camera displays still on. No error message. Had to pull the battery to clear it.) Not sure which batteries were in camera during the file type switching, which for me is the most potentially disastrous problem.

I've always rotated batteries and cards to spread the wear, but I'm going to stop swapping batteries and assign specific cards to each camera. Then see what happens.

Not sure if the charger would recognize a bad battery, but at least it hasn't burst into flames yet!

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:06 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone have a 1Dx circuit board go bad?

It's not demonic possession. Electronic infestation is close. It seems your batteries are making electrons with jaggy appendages. These have a tendency to get stuck in the tiny wires and cause all kinds of backups. Think of an accident on the expressway here. By the time the electron frees itself, the damage is done, and your camera has malfunctioned.

I understand Nikon is working on batteries that make smooth, teflon coated electrons that are immune to this behavior. Sadly, the batteries will cost more than most new cameras.

Apr 23, 2014 at 03:00 PM
4x4rock
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone have a 1Dx circuit board go bad?

Two of my friends had the circuit board replaced on their 1Dx. One when the camera was about 2 months old and the other was last month. The first one just went dead. The second one went dead, battery removed, then worked for a few more days then went dead again. Both are using Canon Batteries.

When they sent to Canon, they didn't offer any explaination, just circuit board replaced. That's it.

Apr 23, 2014 at 04:14 PM
ange
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone have a 1Dx circuit board go bad?

Here's my story with solution. Not sure it will help at all and it is about an XT, not a 1Dx. One day I noticed that my camera had locked up during shooting. I could not take a picture and it wouldn't even focus, yet the LCD was still on and I could still change 'some' settings.

I tried to turn the camera off and I couldn't even do that. I had to remove the battery to shut it down. I got it going again and the same thing happened after a while. Once, after taking the battery out and putting it back in, I couldn't turn it on.

I tried a new battery and card, but it was doing the same thing. In the the following days, it did a lot of strange things. Numbers and letters on both LCDs were displayed wrong. Only parts of some letters and numbers would light up and the ones that were bad were constantly changing.

One day while struggling to shoot, I noticed that things were changing on the LCD as I put slight pressure on one part of the case (just my natural grip). Having been in the electronics repair business for many years, I knew that with an intermittent problem like this, it was possible that something on the PC board might be loose or a connection could be bad.

I lightly tapped the area with my knuckle and the camera started working. At that point, I took it all apart and found that one of the ribbon cables (extremely tiny and fragile) was right under the area where I was tapping.

I carefully removed every ribbon connection on the camera (I think there were 7 or 8) and lightly wiped the contacts on the board and reconnected the ribbons. The camera has been working flawlessly for 2 years now.

Good luck,
Andy

Apr 24, 2014 at 07:57 AM
pjbuehner
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone have a 1Dx circuit board go bad?

I had a similar situation with my 5D III. Ever since purchased, on occasion no back buttons would work other than the AF-ON button. No playback, no Q button etc. Other than that, it worked fine. I don't use the Q button, rate button, playback button, etc very much so it wasn't so pressing for me during the sports season. I sent it in once in between seasons and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Of course it continued to happen periodically. I called CPS a few times to tell them exact settings when it happened, etc but no solution was found over the phone.
I shot through the winter season, again not so worried about it since it still took pictures perfectly. I finally sent it in again two weeks ago (when they told me it was out of warranty...despite constant communication that it still wasn't fixed...a problem that I reported and tried to have fixed while in warranty, but that is another story).
I just got it back and they said that they found that "the circuit board was not functioning properly" and replaced it.
I am hopeful that it is fixed but I need to give it a few weeks of spring shooting to be confident.

P

Apr 24, 2014 at 08:11 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.