New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Canon 70D

Dan Heitman
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 70D

I'm using the 70D and I'm not happy with the way it's focusing. I'll post a recent picture, the tree on the left side seems to be in focus more than the birds do.This picture is cropped by about 50% and shot with a Canon 500 mm f/4. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:15 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 70D

Have you calibrated the lens on that body? Which AF mode and zones are you using?

EBH

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:35 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 70D

Not sure what your problem is, since the owls look just as sharp as the tree, or sharper to me.

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:44 PM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 70D

I think it is ok too. The light seems overcast and the owls lack contrast, yet those very fine under belly feathers are visible. The conditions seem less than optimal for this kind of long tele shot. If doubts about the camera and lens persist it is time to do a few tests. These need to be done in good light and at high shutter speeds.

Apr 23, 2014 at 03:15 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 70D

I concur with the posters above.
You don't seem like a newb, so I wouldn't ask the obvious MA question, but alas, I guess it is mandatory: have you micro-adjusted the lens?
Did you perform tests in good light and high shutter speeds in order to establish a possible front or back focus issue?
Do you feel like you have issues with all pictures taken with this combo or just sometimes?
If just sometimes, under what specific conditions?
Do you have issues with just this lens or with others as well?

The light conditions are not that good, so that could have played a factor. It affects IQ and can even affect focusing as well.
Also, it is hard to judge from that 50% crop and like Imagemaster said, the howls look as sharp or in fact even sharper than the tree.

If you provide us with more information it would be easier for us to help you.

Apr 23, 2014 at 03:48 AM
malgegg
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 70D

I have a 400mm with 1.4 tc your DOF is critical at close distance which I assume is the case with this photo Id be surprised if you could achieve better results unless you put more distance between you and your subject then cropped more.

Apr 23, 2014 at 03:54 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 70D

Imagemaster wrote:
Not sure what your problem is, since the owls look just as sharp as the tree, or sharper to me.

+1 Admittedly we are looking at web sized JPEGs, but I can't find anything objectionable in the pix. The owls look fine. (Great image, BTW).

Robert

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 70D

there is more contrast in the tree bark so it 'looks' sharper.
Are you using AI Servo focus or One Shot? Are you using multiple focus points or Center point?

Karl

Apr 23, 2014 at 01:14 PM
Dan Heitman
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 70D

I have not micro adjusted the lens. Using AI servo and center point. AWB, f/4, 1/1250, ISO 400. I thought it looked a little soft. Thanks for all your comments. Dan

Apr 23, 2014 at 09:31 PM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 70D

Seems like there's some issue using the viewfinder for focusing and the center point in certain situations.

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:20 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.