FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              12       13       end

Archive 2014 · Leica announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera

Official: Leica announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera
Leica announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera ($1,800 here at B&H Photo).
It has the same 16MP sensor of the Sony NEX-3n and its milled from a solid billet of aluminum. Along with the camera, two lenses were announced: The Leica 18-56mm F3.5-5.6 and a 23mm F2 prime. An optional electronic viewfinder can be used alongside with the large 3.7" LCD.

Pre-order: B&H Photo | Adorama

Specs:
  1. 16.3MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
  2. Solid Aluminum Unibody Design
  3. 3.7" 1.3M-dot TFT LCD Touchscreen
  4. Contrast-Based Autofocus System
  5. Continuous Shooting at up to 5 fps
  6. Full HD 1920 x 1080p Video at 30 fps
  7. Built-In Flash with GN of 15' at ISO 100
  8. 16 GB Internal Memory & SDXC Card Slot
  9. Wi-Fi Connectivity & Leica T App for iOS

Apr 24, 2014 at 03:34 PM
DoubleNegative
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera

So, is everyone ready for the new Leica T (Type 701) camera coming on Thursday (April 24, 2014)? One thing we know is that an M lens adapter will be on offer... Seems that other adapters will likely follow from third parties, making this a possibly fun camera for "alternative" shooting. It's a 16MP APS-C sensor rather than full frame, however.

Apr 22, 2014 at 05:18 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera

dddd

Edited on May 01, 2014 at 07:08 PM · View previous versions

Apr 22, 2014 at 05:24 PM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera

redisburning wrote:
lmao well played leica

Yeah... There is that.

...and it's $3k w/o lens. $4k with...

Apr 22, 2014 at 05:26 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera

T is for touchscreen, a first for Leica.

Apr 22, 2014 at 06:09 PM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera

sirimiri wrote:
T is for touchscreen, a first for Leica.

Could be - the camera is also codenamed "Typhoon" as it's considered (by Leica) to be competition for the likes of Sony, Fuji and Olympus...

Apr 22, 2014 at 06:17 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera

ddd

Edited on May 01, 2014 at 07:08 PM · View previous versions

Apr 22, 2014 at 06:26 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera

redisburning wrote:
in what world can you make a 3k USD camera and not put a full frame or larger sensor in it?

I guess that would be "Leica-Land" ... that or 2004.

Apr 22, 2014 at 06:30 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera

T is for Tank … too little too late IMHO.
Sony is the innovator and front runner.
Fuji and Olympus are dark horses.
Canon and Nikon ….. who knows.

DoubleNegative wrote:
Could be - the camera is also codenamed "Typhoon" as it's considered (by Leica) to be competition for the likes of Sony, Fuji and Olympus...

Apr 22, 2014 at 06:38 PM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera

Bear in mind that this camera is more consumer-oriented. It's not for photographers or an "enthusiast" model (despite the interchangeable lenses). So the target market won't really care about the sensor format, I suspect.

Moral of the story is, for the likes of us - this camera is very likely a non-starter. For that kind of money, I know I'd definitely opt for one of the Japanese options!

Apr 22, 2014 at 06:55 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera

I now predict 8 pages of Leica bashing... If the rumored specs are accurate, I would indeed find it hard to shell out this money when there are so many other good (or perhaps better) options available.

Apr 22, 2014 at 06:55 PM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leica announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera

You're probably right, Gary. Unfortunately. I'm sure it'll be a really sweet camera. Just not for us.

Apr 22, 2014 at 07:11 PM
JonPB
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leica announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera

Looking at the body shell, the twin control dials are remarkably similar to the NEX-7 and a6000. It'd be very interesting if Leica is pulling a Hasselblad, but actually releases premium lenses to use with the system. That'd be just as good as Zeiss expanding its Touit lineup, wouldn't it? I mean: Sony camera guts (for a camera that doesn't compete with any Sony offering), Leica construction and interface (which appeals to Leica customers but doesn't compete with existing products), Leica optics (need I say more?), and Panasonic autofocus (allowing them to diversify into the larger-than-m43 space without having to release their own brand of cameras). Heck, maybe even Hasselblad is backing away from their premium remade cameras and sold those rights to Leica, which is doing far more with the idea. That's the best possible outcome I can think of--and I don't think it is too far from being reasonable.

Cheers,
Jon

Apr 22, 2014 at 08:25 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leica announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera

dddd

Edited on May 01, 2014 at 07:06 PM · View previous versions

Apr 22, 2014 at 08:43 PM
CVickery
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leica announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera

I think we need to wait and see what are the details, but like others I'll be disappointed to see an APS-C sensor.

Apr 22, 2014 at 09:02 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leica announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera

Nobody has made an Outstanding native 35mm equivalent solution yet for mirrorless compact cameras.

The X100/X100s while nice, the lens is pretty good short range at portrait distances but are pretty mediocre for landscapes.

The ZA 24mm F1.8 has very good contrast and colors but doesn't stop down to perfect even sharpness with zero CA. Questionable bokeh and quite large for a APSC lens.

The FE Zeiss 35mm f2.8 while very compact and has extremely high central sharpness suffers from the same problems as it's APS-C brother.

The leica X1/X2 have incredible lenses crippled by a mediocre body and are somewhat slow with F2.8 on APS-C.

The Fuji 24mm F1.4 seems excellent but you're forced to use a X-Trans sensor which has it's own baggage and it's unclear if the A1 is a dead end or not. The biggest lens in this list.

The Olympus 17mm f1.8 is only good, not very good or excellent. The PL17.5mm is going to be the next contender and I'm curious how it plays out.

Maybe the Leica T will launch with a 24mm F1.8 that is as good as the X1/X2? That might be worth the price of admission if the body is excellent as well. I don't care if Leica Portugal makes it or Panasonic Japan as long it has the same M240 build quality.

The Voigtlander 17.5mm F0.95 for MFT seems to be the best out there right now for mirrorless but of course it's not AF with no electronic communication at all.

Edited on Apr 22, 2014 at 09:19 PM · View previous versions

Apr 22, 2014 at 09:10 PM
CVickery
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Leica announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera

FlyPenFly wrote:
Nobody has made an Outstanding 35mm equivalent solution yet for mirrorless compact cameras.

The X100/X100s while nice, the lens is pretty good short range at portrait distances but are pretty mediocre for landscapes.

The ZA 24mm F1.8 has very good contrast and colors but doesn't stop down to perfect even sharpness with zero CA. Questionable bokeh and quite large for a APSC lens.

The FE Zeiss 35mm f2.8 while very compact and has extremely high central sharpness suffers from the same problems as it's APS-C brother.

The leica X1/X2 have incredible lenses crippled by a mediocre body and are somewhat slow with F2.8 on
...Show more

What about the RX1/RX1R ?....I haven't used it, but it has a good rep and it's notably missing from your list.

Apr 22, 2014 at 09:19 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Leica announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera

CVickery wrote:
What about the RX1/RX1R ?....I haven't used it, but it has a good rep and it's notably missing from your list.

Yes, I've read nothing but praises but I'm only counting ILC cameras.

Apr 22, 2014 at 09:20 PM
CVickery
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Leica announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera

FlyPenFly wrote:
Yes, I've read nothing but praises but I'm only counting ILC cameras.

and the Leica X1/X2 and Fuji x100/x100s... 'Just pulling your leg' and you are absolutely right with respect to ILC mirrorless cameras.

Edited on Apr 22, 2014 at 09:23 PM · View previous versions

Apr 22, 2014 at 09:21 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Leica announced the Leica T APS-C mirrorless camera

CVickery wrote:
and the Leica X1/X2 and Fuji x100/x100s...

Haha yes! I guess only cameras I have direct experience with. I should probably just buy an RX1 and call it a day but that EVF doesn't seem that great to me.

Apr 22, 2014 at 09:22 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.