Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · lightroom mobile + iPad

jamesmorophoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · lightroom mobile + iPad

anyone have experience with this?

1) can you edit and cull w/o downloading the full res RAW's to your iPad? and transfer the edited catalogue settings back to your workstation?

I'm seeing that it creates 'smart previews' that take up less space. anyone know how much this shrinks down raw files?

I shoot anywhere from 60-80GB/wedding of RAW files. My iPad is only 32gb. Obviously, this raises questions..

2) how advanced are the editing tools? (i.e. custom brushes and gradients? yes/no?)

Edited on Apr 22, 2014 at 03:00 PM · View previous versions

Apr 22, 2014 at 02:48 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · lightroom mobile + iPad

some discussion about it here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1286345/

You can fit quite a lot of photos in smart previews... not sure the exact conversion though. I was playing around with it and imported about 350-400 images as smart previews onto the mobile sync gallery and it worked pretty well. a little sluggish to pick up edits but pretty good for culling/flagging.

Apr 22, 2014 at 02:56 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · lightroom mobile + iPad

1) In my experience, you need to be connected to wifi or LTE to edit the pics on the iPad WITHOUT downloading them. Once you download them, you don't need a connection.

2) You don't need to transfer anything back to your workstation. Everything you do on the iPad shows up there automatically. Perfect. Without fail.

3) I downloaded over 1000 pics from a wedding reception to my iPad so I could cull through them in Airplane mode. Lightroom told me exactly how many GB's that would take up on my iPad and how many GB's I had free. I think the 1000+ pics took up around 3GB on my iPad. They did take quite a while to download from the cloud to my iPad and any time my iPad went to sleep the pics stopped downloading. But I got it done

4) The smart previews are just little DNG's that you're looking at on your iPad. Your workstation keeps the full size raw files. So if you slide the exposure to the right on your iPad, when you get back home, you're looking at the full size raw file on your workstation with an exposure adjustment you made on your iPad.

5) The tools really are pretty accurate. I'm editing on the newest 27inch iMac. So the colors and screen brightness are very similar to my iPad. Just make sure to turn "auto brightness" off on your iPad

6) The iPad isn't an ideal way to do work, but if you're stuck on a plane, it's a great way to do some culling and make basic adjustments.

7) I heard of a guy who shot tethered in one city, and had his boss looking at the shots on an iPad in another city. His boss picked what he liked, and then the photographer adjusted what he was shooting accordingly. So there are some other creative uses - since everything syncs instantly from the cloud

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:58 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · lightroom mobile + iPad

Man I am loving this app for culling. I just did a bridal set. Started out with 400 24mp raw files. The smartpreviews downloaded for offline editing to my iPad was something like 500mb and man the culling is fast, easy and done on the couch while watching some TV. ZERO load time for each photo and a single flick of the finger to select or reject. I've never used photomechanic but it seems like this is probably even faster and easier than that.. I don't know, maybe not. I'm loving it though!

brad

May 02, 2014 at 11:27 AM
mattdoebler

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · lightroom mobile + iPad

I use the 6d, so I can use the built in wifi to transfer files directly from the camera (coverts raw to jpg) and then edit on my iPad in LR. I did this during a 25 minute commute from ceremony location to reception location and had a highlight slideshow ready to show at the reception. The family and guests loved it!

May 05, 2014 at 07:40 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · lightroom mobile + iPad

My only issue with LR mobile is the syncing takes forever. It is sooooooo sloooooooow. Its not my connection because I have a 50 down 25 up connection.

May 06, 2014 at 09:10 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · lightroom mobile + iPad

Meh, for my usage it's one of those things that I can just leave to let it do it's thing but yeah, it could be a little faster. I don't really feel like it's as slow for me as you feel it is for you.

brad

May 06, 2014 at 11:02 AM
TimCPhoto

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · lightroom mobile + iPad

Sounds like an interesting tool, but isn't it like way too expensive?

May 07, 2014 at 01:21 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · lightroom mobile + iPad

TimCPhoto wrote:
Sounds like an interesting tool, but isn't it like way too expensive?

If you subscribe to any of Adobe's monthly plans (including the $9.99 photographer's plan) then LR Mobile is included at no extra cost.

brad

May 07, 2014 at 09:48 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.