Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Comparing EOS-M vs Sony RX100 II IQ?

Richard Nye
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Comparing EOS-M vs Sony RX100 II IQ?

How does the IQ of the Sony RX100 II (or version 1 for that matter) compare with the EOS-M?

I have the EOS M with a couple lenses and I like the IQ, size and the touch screen. But that's where my likes end. It is slow, and I end up missing shots because of the sluggishness of the camera.

I have 3 other DSLRs when I want fast, but I need a small, pocket-sized camera. I'm not willing to give up much IQ for portability. The RX100 II is a nice and small.

Please don't recommend the S100/110 or the G10. The IQ doesn't work for me.

Thanks!

Edited on Apr 22, 2014 at 01:55 PM · View previous versions

Apr 22, 2014 at 01:35 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Comparing EOS-M vs Sony RX100 II IQ?

I often drop in here: https://www.flickr.com/groups/rx100/pool/ and peruse what's new. What do you think?

Apr 22, 2014 at 01:37 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Comparing EOS-M vs Sony RX100 II IQ?

I moved from RX100 to EOS-M+22mm f2 a few months ago and so far prefer the EOS M combo.

RX100 is a remarkable camera for the IQ it offers in a very small form factor. Still at ISO800-3200 it does show that it is a somewhat smaller sensor. Of course it handily beats any other point and shoot at those ISOs but the APS-C EOS-M sensor still offers an advantage over RX100 in low light. The difference may not be night and day, but enough to matter.

Also the APS-C + f2 combination retains some shallow DOF potential. With RX100 that control goes down even further.

Also RX100 shines most at its widest 28mm end where it is f1.8. However as a general purpose do-it-all foal length 28mm is a bit too wide for me. I prefer the 35mm equivalent of the EOS-M combo.

Of course RX100 has its advantages, it has a zoom lens which is handy. It has a built-in bounce flash which can be useful in many cases, though somewhat limited by the fact that it doesn't tilt back completely. With the EOS-M I use the smallish 270EX flash when I need bounce. Also unlike the EOS-M + 22mm combo, RX100 does not hunt for focus during videos etc.

Apr 22, 2014 at 02:46 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Comparing EOS-M vs Sony RX100 II IQ?

two different type of cameras. List the pro and cons of each, then decide. I would even consider the GX1 II unless it's too large for you. One of the Sigma DP Merrill's might meet you needs too.

One thing's for sure though is that the RX100 I or II is definitely truly pocketable assuming you're not a skinny jean hipster. It's just up to you if the IQ is up to par to your standards. If my S110 broke I'll probably end up getting one.

Apr 22, 2014 at 04:13 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Comparing EOS-M vs Sony RX100 II IQ?

boingyman wrote:
two different type of cameras. List the pro and cons of each, then decide. I would even consider the GX1 II unless it's too large for you. One of the Sigma DP Merrill's might meet you needs too.

One thing's for sure though is that the RX100 I or II is definitely truly pocketable assuming you're not a skinny jean hipster. It's just up to you if the IQ is up to par to your standards. If my S110 broke I'll probably end up getting one.

They are two different types of cameras, but if I can get the IQ of both cameras are similar (from a sensor that's half as big) it would compelling to get the RX100 II.

RX100 II:
Pros:
Small size (truly pocket size)
Nice zoom range, 28-100 (35mm equivalent)
Tilting LCD
WiFi & NFC
Built in flash

Cons:
Slow start up
No touch screen
Canon flash won't work on Sony camera

EOS M
Pros:
Nice IQ!
Interchangable lenses (22mm f/2 lens)
More DoF control
Works with my Canon flashes

Cons:
Frustratingly slow AF
Larger and heavier
Smaller zoom range

I've had a S90 and a G10 and I was not happy with the IQ of either of them. I bought a Rebel T2i and like the IQ and speed, but if I'm going to take it, I might as well take my 1Ds3. I got the EOS M to get the IQ of the Rebel but in a smaller size. I like the IQ, but it's really slow. I know, I'm hard to please.

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:39 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Comparing EOS-M vs Sony RX100 II IQ?

Did you update the firmware of your EOS M? Still way too slow? Did you ever play with the EOS M II?

Since you listed some of the pros and cons which of them are most important to you? What do you intend to use this camera for and what are the main purpose? How important is portability to you and how much are you willing to sacrifice in that aspect?

Is the GX1 II too big for your? Because IQ wise it can hold it's own against the EOS M. It's kind of like Canon's bigger step brother of the RX100 II.

I'm not too knowledgable regarding 4/3 cameras, but maybe there's something in that range that could meet your needs.

Heck I would even consider a curve ball and shoot film.

Apr 23, 2014 at 02:47 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Comparing EOS-M vs Sony RX100 II IQ?

The AF on EOS-M with the latest firmware is pretty quick in decent light. It does however struggle when it can't find enough contrast in lower light levels. When it starts hunting through the whole focusing range trying to find contrast then it becomes fairly slow.

As the previous poster said m43 is another good option. You will get faster focusing (but avoid the 20mm 1.7 for that - it is a very nice and compact lens but slow to focus). E-PM2's are selling for very low prices these days - pair that with a 17mm 1.8 and you have a very nice combo. Samsung NX200/NX300 with the 30mm f2 is another nice option.

Apr 23, 2014 at 02:52 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Comparing EOS-M vs Sony RX100 II IQ?

The Canon M has an APS-C sensor, making it huge incomparison to Sony's 1" sensor in the RX100.

Here's refresher image on this DPR page showing the relative sizes.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong1x

Apr 23, 2014 at 03:02 PM
Patman99

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Comparing EOS-M vs Sony RX100 II IQ?

Definitely upgrade that firmware to version 2.0.2, helps with the AF performance. I use my EOS-M as a party camera, a vacation camera, walkabout camera.

Apr 23, 2014 at 03:52 PM
racoll
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Comparing EOS-M vs Sony RX100 II IQ?

I use my M for just about everything except fast action; I use my dslr and bigger lenses for that. The small size of the M is wonderful and the IQ is outstanding. With the firmware update I find that the AF is plenty fast for me. It is certainly a camera you should consider.

Andy

Apr 23, 2014 at 05:52 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Comparing EOS-M vs Sony RX100 II IQ?

boingyman wrote:
Did you update the firmware of your EOS M? Still way too slow? Did you ever play with the EOS M II?

Since you listed some of the pros and cons which of them are most important to you? What do you intend to use this camera for and what are the main purpose? How important is portability to you and how much are you willing to sacrifice in that aspect?

Is the GX1 II too big for your? Because IQ wise it can hold it's own against the EOS M. It's kind of like Canon's bigger step brother of
...Show more

I may not have the latest firmware. That's a good catch. I will check that out tonight.

What I'm looking for is a compact camera that has really good IQ that I can take out when I don't want to lug my dslr around. I will also take it on business trips to Europe. If the image quality isn't very good, I might as well use my phone to take photos.

The EOS M with 18-55 zoom is on the upper end of size/weight I'm looking for. The G1X II is a consideration, however I've read some reviews that have the IQ and speed of the Sony similar to the G1X II. Given similar IQ and speeds, I will choose the smaller camera. I'm sure you can get shallower DoF with the G1X II though.

I really don't want to go to the smaller sensor micro 4/3 cameras due to cost.

Apr 23, 2014 at 06:37 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Comparing EOS-M vs Sony RX100 II IQ?

Gunzorro wrote:
The Canon M has an APS-C sensor, making it huge incomparison to Sony's 1" sensor in the RX100.

Yes, the area of the M's sensor is almost 3X the are of the RX100's, But if the performance is similar, why get the larger sensor? OK, I'm sure you can get shallower DoF with the M.

Apr 23, 2014 at 06:39 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Comparing EOS-M vs Sony RX100 II IQ?

My choice was more black and white. The camera was mainly for my wife and thus the size issue was paramount. It fits handily in my pocket too. There is also a nice compact underwater housing for the Sony manufactured by Nauticam. We're very satisfied with our choice.

Db

Apr 23, 2014 at 06:50 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Comparing EOS-M vs Sony RX100 II IQ?

Gunzorro wrote:

End result is what counts. If images are viewed on a screen or printed to 8x10...you'll see zero difference in quality.

Apr 23, 2014 at 07:04 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Comparing EOS-M vs Sony RX100 II IQ?

The only reason you need to get the M- the EF-M 11-22. Take that to Europe.

Apr 23, 2014 at 07:06 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Comparing EOS-M vs Sony RX100 II IQ?

If you look on http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Ratings/Optical-Metric-Scores

alternating between rx100 and eosm as body choices you will find eos-m achieves 13 effective mpx vs 6 on rx100.

So eosm by a wide margin for resolution, if you believe dxomark.

I have the eos-m and with the hardware update, it is pretty good. Unfortunately, bought the a7r and leave it at home now.

The 11-22 and 22 are quite qood.

Scott

Apr 23, 2014 at 07:48 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Comparing EOS-M vs Sony RX100 II IQ?

Richard Nye wrote:
I may not have the latest firmware. That's a good catch. I will check that out tonight.

Updated version is 2.02 if you aren't sure by number.

Good luck! Hope for your sake you still have the older version. It will be a nice upgrade at no cost!

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:17 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Comparing EOS-M vs Sony RX100 II IQ?

If you want a small camera with blazing fast AF, interchangeable lenses and relatively large sensor, consider a M43 design, e.g., Olympus E-PL5 or Lumix GM1.

Apr 24, 2014 at 03:11 AM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Comparing EOS-M vs Sony RX100 II IQ?

mmurph wrote:
Updated version is 2.02 if you aren't sure by number.

Good luck! Hope for your sake you still have the older version. It will be a nice upgrade at no cost!

Hmmm, I'm running 2.02 and still pretty sluggish (by my standards).

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:58 PM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Comparing EOS-M vs Sony RX100 II IQ?

For me, it comes down to size. I had an EOS M kit earlier this year. Once you add the 18-55 and EF-M Adapter, you might as well be carrying a Rebel SL1 or T4i or something. Even without all of that and just using the 22 f/2, which is a nice lens, you're still not far off from an SLR.

If you're leaving the M at home because it's too big, then does it really matter about IQ? For general snapshots, the RX100 beats the hell out of a camera phone and offers up some nice video options. I had one for a while, but couldn't justify the cost as it was WAYYYY overpriced when it first came out (as is the case with the GX1, GX1 Mark II, RX100 II, etc.).

If it were me, I'd pick up an original version of the RX100 used for half the cost of a new version and give it a whirl.

You'd probably love the RX100 as it truly does offer remarkable IQ for such a small camera. And the front control ring is buttery smooth.

You've talked me into getting another one.

Apr 24, 2014 at 02:25 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.