FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Spring turkey in South Texas

1nitro901
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Spring turkey in South Texas

Canon T2i, 400mm f/5.6, iso 400, 1/800, handheld.

I shot these images in South Texas at my home, It's the first turkey I've seen in the 7 years I've lived there. I heard him gobble early this morning so I went inside and grabbed my slate call and a camo jacket and headed into the brush. It took about 15 minutes and he was on top of me and was kind enough to let me snap off about a dozen shots before decided I didn't look as sexy as he had hoped.

I did very little in post. The first image is very slightly cropped on the left to center the bird in the frame, the second image is full sized and the 3rd was a portrait shot that was cropped off the top, bottom and right side. On both I used my LR adjustment brush to reduce the over exposed head about 1 stop and very slightly lightened the underexposed lower chest.

I'm trying to decide if I should crop more off the sides on the first two or leave as-is to show more of his natural habitat. The third I'm thinking about adding canvas behind the bird but not sure if it's necessary.

Thanks for your input

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:25 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Spring turkey in South Texas

Good color in your gobbler. Nice set.

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:26 AM
thehotel
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Spring turkey in South Texas

Gooood work on these.

Wacky roger

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:27 AM
1nitro901
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Spring turkey in South Texas

Thanks! I was fighting a very bright early morning sun on a very dark bird and had set my EV +1/3 being afraid of underexposing the bird.

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:35 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Spring turkey in South Texas

You have some very nice colors and exposures here. It's generally accepted that you normally do not want the subject centered. It's better to leave more room on the side it's looking towards. Showing the feet would look better for me too ~ Ron

Apr 22, 2014 at 01:26 PM
1nitro901
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Spring turkey in South Texas

Thanks for the suggestions and I agree about the feet but unfortunately due to the brush the feet were not really visible. He was so close one of the landscape photos was not cropped at all and I wasn't sure about the head being right at the top...of course I could add canvas I guess.

I also agree about more room on the side the bird is looking and I normally follow that. With the two, I was undecided due to the nature of the brushy background and symmetry of the birds body. If I cropped off of the non facing side I was thinking it would reduce some of the depth.

Please keep comments coming especially if I should crop the two photos differently.

Apr 22, 2014 at 02:46 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.