New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Does the mouse go bad?

Daniel Smith
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does the mouse go bad?

On my work computer I have photoshop open. It will not close. About 15 images open to edit and for the past two days working on images the arrow/tools have become hyper sensitive. Now I have an open image set to crop but the selection arrow moves all around - but does nothing. The selections light up but do nothing when I click the mouse. I can so Control/Alt/Delete and get the blue windows screen up to manage things but can not choose anything - the mouse won't do it.

The arrow moves but right click - left click - push the side buttons, the wheel - none of it has any effect at all.

This is my work computer and does NOT hook up to the internet. Never has. I work on images and then transfer them to another computer via burning to CD or a thumb drive.

So, futzing around I finally unplugged the mouse and switched to a basic one - and all works just fine. Will drive the 50 miles to the store and buy a new Mouse today.

Anyone heard of this happening before?

Apr 22, 2014 at 07:53 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does the mouse go bad?

Yes. Mice have finite lives and can become spasmodic and hallucinatory in action and movement. However, I would try this little fella on another computer and see if the problem persists.

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:45 AM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does the mouse go bad?

I know it can be hard, but if your mouse goes bad there is only one thing to do.

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does the mouse go bad?

Uh, OK, yes I have.

Apr 22, 2014 at 02:19 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does the mouse go bad?

Daniel Smith wrote:
On my work computer I have photoshop open. It will not close. About 15 images open to edit and for the past two days working on images the arrow/tools have become hyper sensitive. Now I have an open image set to crop but the selection arrow moves all around - but does nothing. The selections light up but do nothing when I click the mouse. I can so Control/Alt/Delete and get the blue windows screen up to manage things but can not choose anything - the mouse won't do it.

The arrow moves but right click - left click
...Show more

They can. One of mine went bad and it made it seem like my computer had gone crazy. I thought I had a virus or something.

If it didn't have to do with the buttons and just a slow or jumpy pointer then it might just need to have the sensor bit cleaned out, puffing some air might be enough, if that doesn't work, then a q-tip.

But it sounds like yours it more of a mess and a lost cause.

Edited on Apr 23, 2014 at 05:41 PM · View previous versions

Apr 22, 2014 at 03:16 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does the mouse go bad?

You might also have somehow made the mouse controls in the computer settings too sensitive, so that even clicking a button causes enough motion to shift the mouse cursor. The trackpad on my ASUS notebook is like that.

Things to consider about mice in general...
- they need to see something and sometimes using a mouse pad (or a different one) can make a big difference.
- the light sensor may be gunked up. A quick wipe will fix it.
- the mechanical buttons operate switches which may be gunked up. A new mouse is probably easier than repairing internal switches.
- they need certain features to be activated with the appropriate driver software. A wrong driver or bad settings can affect every aspect of operation including what the various buttons do.

At least you no longer have to worry about gunk building up on the rubber coated steel ball or the associated roller switches that the early mice used to detect motion.

- Alan

Apr 23, 2014 at 01:52 AM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Does the mouse go bad?

I used to game heavily and have never experienced a mouse going bad, granted I stuck to name brand mice from Razer, Logitech, and Microsoft. If photoshop will not close, I think something else is going on. It can be corrupt drivers or programs, at worst, it could mean your HD is going bad. Do you turn it off or leave it on for long periods (>24 hrs) at a time? In my experience, other components (CPU, motherboard, GPU) break before the mouse.

Apr 23, 2014 at 03:37 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Does the mouse go bad?

I have a special section in the yard cordoned off for our dearly beloved passed on pets.

Apr 23, 2014 at 05:09 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Does the mouse go bad?

Of course. Mice die all the time.

EBH

Apr 23, 2014 at 06:30 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Does the mouse go bad?

It might not be the mouse.

I can think of several reasons why this could happen, a defective mouse is one.

Malware on your system could cause similar problems.

So can buggy video and USB drivers, not enough hard drive space for the operating system, swap files, caches, system restore images, and even not enough system RAM or software memory leaks can cause similar types of problems.

You should try another mouse first before buying a new one. You'll know soon enough if it really is the problem.

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:33 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Does the mouse go bad?

Some of the description (hypersensitivity) sounded more like a driver conflict to me (I get that on Windows Vista, XP, and Win7) occasionally - but, yes, of course, mice go bad. I get about a year out of mine typically. This last one has been especially good though lasting almost twice as long.

http://tesselator.gpmod.com/Images/Temporary/CyborgRAT7.jpg

Apr 24, 2014 at 02:03 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Does the mouse go bad?

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
It might not be the mouse.

I can think of several reasons why this could happen, a defective mouse is one.

Malware on your system could cause similar problems.

So can buggy video and USB drivers, not enough hard drive space for the operating system, swap files, caches, system restore images, and even not enough system RAM or software memory leaks can cause similar types of problems.

You should try another mouse first before buying a new one. You'll know soon enough if it really is the problem.

He said he plugged in a basic mouse he had laying around and that everything seemed to instantly work fine again. So I tend to lean towards a bad mouse.

Apr 24, 2014 at 01:34 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Does the mouse go bad?

I have had problems with the left-button on Logitech VX Nano mice going bad after a year or two. Bad news, especially if you are dragging files around, as holding down the button wouldn't always hold on to the file. So I'd drag something, lose it, and accidentally drag and drop something else. A real pain.

Last year or so I've been using Logitech Anywhere mice. So far so good, but they are heavier than the Nano and the batteries don't last as long (despite being AA versus AAA in the Nano).

Mark

Apr 25, 2014 at 06:08 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Does the mouse go bad?

This is the mouse I am using right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Raptor-Gaming-Mouse-CH-9000041-NA/dp/B00CXI0BPG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1398470546&sr=8-3&keywords=corsair+mouse

Well built, reasonably priced, and I am starting to like it a lot.

Apr 25, 2014 at 07:03 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Does the mouse go bad?

I'm so far past corded mice.

EBH

Apr 25, 2014 at 07:12 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Does the mouse go bad?

EB-1 wrote:
I'm so far past corded mice.

EBH

I thought I was too. Until I tried a few "good" cordless ones. What a BS PITA! Reconnect, reconnect, change batteries, reconnect, lose pointer, too slow for twitchy games, reconnect, throw against wall! Now I'm back to corded ones - headaches gone.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:20 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Does the mouse go bad?

Alan321 wrote:
At least you no longer have to worry about gunk building up on the rubber coated steel ball or the associated roller switches that the early mice used to detect motion.
- Alan

Yeah... but I get a little misty when I think about how satisfying it was rotating the cap, dropping the ball out, scrapping along the rollers... digging out mouse boogers from time to time and the indescribable joy when you would pull out a real honker and think - wow, now that's a keeper !

May 01, 2014 at 06:34 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Does the mouse go bad?

Bifurcator wrote:
I thought I was too. Until I tried a few "good" cordless ones. What a BS PITA! Reconnect, reconnect, change batteries, reconnect, lose pointer, too slow for twitchy games, reconnect, throw against wall! Now I'm back to corded ones - headaches gone.

I've had good luck with the wireless mice compared to wired mice. The only one that died was a victim of a leaky battery. I like to move the mouse out of the way for various purposes including the tablet. I can see the problem of a wireless delay in gaming, though I'm not allowed to play computer games.

EBH

May 01, 2014 at 08:31 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Does the mouse go bad?

msalvetti wrote:
I have had problems with the left-button on Logitech VX Nano mice going bad after a year or two.
Mark

I have two M505's with bad left-buttons. I believe it is a well known failure.

When i have an hour spare and a bit of motivation for the job i'm going to try doing some transplanting to get two working switches in the same mouse.

May 02, 2014 at 03:16 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.