Chez, was that a used A7R Package?

Yes a used package.

Apr 24, 2014 at 07:10 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · best post of the year

retrofocus wrote:
Fast AF is the good selling point of Canon's (semi-) professional DSLR series - but that's about it. I disagree that the segment of Canon users who have other priorities than AF is small. It just fits to Canon's strategy to focus on photographers who need fast AF and faster fps - but the ones who don't need this, leave/have left Canon and went with Nikon, are waiting with their old DSLRs, or added the A7R.

Canon was HAMMERED for the AF on the EOS M which in no way resembles a semi or pro DSLR. They had to give it away to move stock. There is no way that Canon is going to cater to the tiny market of landscape shooters that don't need AF at the expense of the huge market segment that want good AF.

Exmor sensors have been around for quite some time and have had little impact on Canon's marketshare.

Apr 24, 2014 at 08:15 AM
jctriguy
• • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · best post of the year

ggreene wrote:
Canon was HAMMERED for the AF on the EOS M which in no way resembles a semi or pro DSLR. They had to give it away to move stock. There is no way that Canon is going to cater to the tiny market of landscape shooters that don't need AF at the expense of the huge market segment that want good AF.

Exmor sensors have been around for quite some time and have had little impact on Canon's marketshare.

+1

This is a new line of defence from the 'group'. AF is now apparently marketing hype and not actually a key feature of modern cameras AF and digital are probably close to equal in terms of historical importance in moving photography from a professional realm to he masses.

Apr 24, 2014 at 08:28 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · best post of the year

AF is supposed to be marketing hype? Hype would be crowing about being first.

Canon was not the first with AutoFocus. In 1981 Pentax came out with the first AF SLR. Nikon released an AF SLR in 1983. It took Nikon years to abandon its various kludge shaft drives and prongs and whatnot, and they are still saddled with that legacy. AF is turning many people away from the Tamron 150-600 which otherwise would be a slam-dunk at the price given its optics.

It was six (6) years after Pentax and four (4) years after Nikon, in 1987, that Canon bet the whole company on a superior AF system. It paid them huge profits and gained them market dominance. It's why we use the EOS / EF system all these years. I have two lenses from 1989 that I use EOS AF with.

Hype? Nope. Facts.

Edited on Apr 24, 2014 at 09:18 AM · View previous versions

Apr 24, 2014 at 09:16 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · best post of the year

jctriguy wrote:
+1

This is a new line of defence from the 'group'. AF is now apparently marketing hype and not actually a key feature of modern cameras AF and digital are probably close to equal in terms of historical importance in moving photography from a professional realm to he masses.

So now it is suddenly in line with Canon police to say that the AF in the 5D MKII was the old and non upgraded AF system of the original 5D camera? In the past a few years back you were not allowed to say this here. The AF of the 5D MkII was glorified by you guys as sufficient enough. Now after Canon only improved here, this is now the big innovation? You must be kidding.

Apr 24, 2014 at 09:17 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · best post of the year

Monito wrote:
AF is supposed to be marketing hype? Hype would be crowing about being first.

Canon was not the first with AutoFocus. In 1981 Pentax came out with the first AF SLR. Nikon released an AF SLR in 1983. It took Nikon years to abandon its various kludge shaft drives and prongs and whatnot, and they are still saddled with that legacy. AF is turning many people away from the Tamron 150-600 which otherwise would be a slam-dunk at the price given its optics.

It was six (6) years after Pentax and four (4) years after Nikon, in 1987, that Canon bet the
...Show more

Some very good points.

I have a 135/2.8 Soft Focus from 1988 that has fast and accurate AF -- and super sharp when not engaging SF (thanks, Peter!).

retro -- No one claims the 5D2 had good AF across the frame. But it does have accurate and precise center point AF. The new 5D3 just spreads that accuracy where most wanted it -- to the outer AF points, similar the 1D-series. Canon has for many years had exceptional AF on the 1D-series bodies. You know all this! Ha-ha!

I hope the Canon Police always mentioned will have a summer company picnic -- probably good eats and brews! Sound like fun folks to hang out with! Hope to be invited. (Where is their HQ?)

Edited on Apr 24, 2014 at 09:38 AM · View previous versions

Apr 24, 2014 at 09:27 AM
jctriguy
• • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · best post of the year

retrofocus wrote:

So, won't bother responding to this...

Just wanted to clarify if you were the first on FM or the first in the entire world to highlight the poor sensor specs of the 5Diii?

Apr 24, 2014 at 09:34 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · best post of the year

Are you saying that canon shooter will replace their hardware with couple more points in AF regardless canon limited progress in imaging sensor from now on? Why not ask your self the same question here.

Imo, AF and imaging sensor are the two different beast for many different people. Why keep argue for something that is not related.

Apr 24, 2014 at 09:41 AM
jctriguy
• • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · best post of the year

mttran wrote:
Are you saying that canon shooter will replace their hardware with couple more points in AF regardless canon limited progress in imaging sensor from now on? Why not ask your self the same question here.

I think any technology user should upgrade equipment when the specs of the new equipment meet their needs/wants/desires. No one is arguing about the validity of buying an A7 camera if that's what fits into your photographic style and objectives. People seem to take exception to the doomsday claims that a company is going to be destroyed by a new camera offering just because it meets THEIR INDIVIDUAL needs at the present time.

So...I think many camera users (myself included) will upgrade if they feel the overall package offered in a new camera body/lens system meets their needs. Many people look at multiple features in a camera system, not just a specific sensor spec or number of AF points. Low ISO DR and MP are only two aspects if a sensor, they don't tell the entire story. They also don't describe the magnitude of the difference in real world output, especially since we all have different expectations and uses for our photographs.

Apr 24, 2014 at 09:54 AM
jctriguy
• • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · best post of the year

Gunzorro wrote:
I hope the Canon Police always mentioned will have a summer company picnic -- probably good eats and brews! Sound like fun folks to hang out with! Hope to be invited. (Where is their HQ?)

I'll discuss a picnic with the others at Canon HQ...probably enough in the budget to throw an epic party...hahahaha

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:04 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · best post of the year

jctriguy wrote:
I'll discuss a picnic with the others at Canon HQ...probably enough in the budget to throw an epic party...hahahaha

Is this a clue that the Canon World Police HQ is in Canada? (Why didn't I think of that?! Canada is the perfect cover -- Canadians act so friendly and courteous.)

Or are you just going to Skype in your request?

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:13 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · best post of the year

I think we are on the wrong track here...are we suppose to draw our own dream camera in this thread

I like to see (5D4 = 5D3 + same of latest XXMP sony sensor spec) to replace my 1Ds2 and 5D2.

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:36 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · best post of the year

mttran wrote:
I think we are on the wrong track here...are we suppose to draw our own dream camera in this thread

I like to see (5D4 = 5D3 + same of latest XXMP sony sensor spec) to replace my 1Ds2 and 5D2.

That should keep most of us Forum folks happy for a while.

Apr 24, 2014 at 01:10 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · best post of the year

Gunzorro wrote:

jctriguy wrote:

Gunzorro wrote:
Is this a clue that the Canon World Police HQ is in Canada? (Why didn't I think of that?! Canada is the perfect cover -- Canadians act so friendly and courteous.)

Or are you just going to Skype in your request?

Apr 24, 2014 at 02:04 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · best post of the year

... News Flash ...

... Justin Bieber Detained at LAX ...

Yep ... it's true ... I knew this was important ...

Read it here ... http://www.gossipcop.com/justin-bieber-detained-lax-stopped-customs-airport-april-2014/ ...

Apr 24, 2014 at 08:47 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · best post of the year

The best post of the year just got better.

Apr 24, 2014 at 08:50 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · best post of the year

he should have been detained for the haircut

Apr 26, 2014 at 03:56 AM
1       2       3              5      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.