FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Even the worst aperture of Printing Nikkor 105mm is good

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Even the worst aperture of Printing Nikkor 105mm is good

I said I would test f11, the minimum aperture. The lens is supposed to outperform just about any macro lens at 5.6 or wider and to only match them at smaller apertures.

This millepede was not entirely in one plane but the shot gives a good idea of performance.

Manual flash, hand-held ISO 200. FOV, after slight cropping for format, ca 12mm.

Harold

Edited on May 01, 2014 at 12:46 AM · View previous versions

Apr 21, 2014 at 06:15 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Even the worst aperture of Printing Nikkor 105mm is good

Today I modified my set-up slightly. As I often find myself switching my T32 flash unit to half power it seem sensible to use my smaller, lighter T20 one. This required a new DIY softbox and a slightly different technique of holding it.

With this to contend with I failed to get a decent comparative shot of the millepede. However, I also wanted to see how the lens coped at f11 with the rather three-dimensional flower of Pleione orchid. I would normally expect to use f16 but the results were worthwhile.

For the cropped image I started back with the unprocessed TIFF. Both images were processes in the same software (Topaz), a slightly higher setting sometimes being used for the crop, as appropriate.

Note the aphids, bottom left.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2014

Apr 22, 2014 at 05:58 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Even the worst aperture of Printing Nikkor 105mm is good

A tip for anyone starting in field macro:

This common European species of millepede tends to curl up and remain still for a while when it is completely uncovered. I suspect that some non-European species may be equally obliging.

Harold

May 01, 2014 at 12:51 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.