Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Anything to help me manually focus through the VF?

YonathanZ
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anything to help me manually focus through the VF?

Hi,

I use a Sigma 50 1.4 (old one, of course) and the focus isn't very reliable, at least indoors (when I shoot it outdoors it feels like the lens magically fixed itself). Using a Canon 70D, the viewfinder isn't too big, so trying to manually nail focus is hard. I wonder if there's any tool or whatever that could help me with that.

Thank you.

Apr 21, 2014 at 05:00 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anything to help me manually focus through the VF?

I think the 70D takes replacement focus screens .

If it does then you can get a precision matt screen that helps with manual focus . It has a code with 'S' in it

You should also be able to get a split screen version as well , but most of the manual focus guys seem to favour the matt 'S' screen .

That said if your manual focusing a lot you may well find the bigger VF of a full frame camera a lot easier .
Of course there is always Live view

Apr 21, 2014 at 05:16 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anything to help me manually focus through the VF?

There's always an angle finder, which magnifies the central section

Apr 21, 2014 at 05:21 AM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anything to help me manually focus through the VF?

There's always the Canon classic, Angle Finder C

http://www.studio22online.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/CAAFC.jpg

Apr 21, 2014 at 05:23 AM
YonathanZ
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anything to help me manually focus through the VF?

The 70D has an LCD screen behind the focusing screen and thus it's not user replaceable (but I can unscrew it, it's just that only Katz Eye sells a replacement focusing screen for the 70D and it's ridiculously expensive).

That Angle Finder C is way too bulky.

Apr 21, 2014 at 05:27 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anything to help me manually focus through the VF?

Sorry I thought the 70 had replaceable screens like the 60 .

If it's fixed like the 7D (I have(had) that body and yes manual focus is not the best . The VF screen is more optimised for slower (f4 I think) .

Other than the Katz eye replacement (or similar) or the angle finder your pretty much stuck with live view on the rear screen

.also the reason screens like katzeye are so expensive is they are usually canon screens (ie the 'S' screen ) for other bodies which Katz purchase and then modify .

But if you go down that route you will likely end up with inconsistent metering as your body doesn't have the custom function that changes the metering to suite the new screen .

And worse is its not even a set offset that you could dial in as compensation (ie 1 stop) .

Apr 21, 2014 at 06:23 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anything to help me manually focus through the VF?

I use a Zacuto Z-Finder 2.5x It clips on a slender fame that is mounted on/around the rear LCD. It's great for handheld manual focus using LiveView, but it's really more like handheld shoooting through the finder, because the LCD essentially becomes the finder. I originally bought it for use with a 5DII, and then transfered it to a 6D. I use it mostly for manual focus with "Alt" lenses, and occasionally (rarely) for video.

Photo from B&H, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/867051-REG/Zacuto_Z_FIND_PRO232_Z_Finder_Pro_2_5x_for.html

P.S. don't be fooled by its size, the Z-Finder is quite light in weight.

Photo from B&H, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/867051-REG/Zacuto_Z_FIND_PRO232_Z_Finder_Pro_2_5x_for.html

Apr 21, 2014 at 06:41 AM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anything to help me manually focus through the VF?

jcolwell wrote:
I use a Zacuto Z-Finder 2.5x It clips on a slender fame that is mounted on/around the rear LCD. It's great for handheld manual focus using LiveView, but it's really more like handheld shoooting through the finder, because the LCD essentially becomes the finder. I originally bought it for use with a 5DII, and then transfered it to a 6D. I use it mostly for manual focus with "Alt" lenses, and occasionally (rarely) for video.

P.S. don't be fooled by its size, the Z-Finder is quite light in weight.

There is a knockoff brand like this that's about $130 (will dig up the model later) that works exactly the same way. It's fantastic for shooting video or critical focusing, and you can use your left or right eye with it.

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:33 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anything to help me manually focus through the VF?

YonathanZ wrote:
That Angle Finder C is way too bulky.

And the 90º angle can be a pain in the a$$ for shooting at eye level.

Apr 22, 2014 at 05:15 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anything to help me manually focus through the VF?

Isn't the 70D supposed to have a slightly more magical live view focusing system. Does the live view AF perform better indoors than the view finder AF?

Either way, since it works so well outdoors, it sounds like you need more contrast to get a better AF lock. Maybe use a ETTL speedlight just for the AF assist beam (with flash disabled, of course). Or, try a YN-622C for its AF assist beam.

Apr 22, 2014 at 05:56 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anything to help me manually focus through the VF?

I agree with amacal1.

If the scene allows and within range I would try using focus assist beam to see if it helps with accuracy and consistency. It does wonders for me, even when shooting near wide open with my 35 and 85 primes. my 430EXII even does a good job with it.

Apr 22, 2014 at 06:08 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.