Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Waist pack with a tripod holder?

ureshiidesuka
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Waist pack with a tripod holder?

Hey Everyone!

I'm going to visit Japan in a month and I've been looking for a pack that will put the weight around my waist, allow for easy access, and have a tripod support.

The main thing is that I'll be walking around a lot, and would rather keep my hands free. Usually bags like this have a shoulder strap to support the weight of the hip bag, which I certainly dont mind.

I want something that will carry a canon 24mm tse ii, 5d mk ii w/ 50mm, small mirrorless camera and peripherals.

Initial contenders:
Clik Elite Reporter

Lowepro Inverse 200 AW - belt issues, might require modification to get it to fit properly on the waist, people complain about the top of the belt providing no support and tilting away from your body

ThinkTank Speed Freak - No tripod support

would be more than open to other bags or suggestions and your experiences

I mainly shoot panos and am on the move quite frequently. so far i'm thinking that the lowepro inverse matches what i need for the most part, but the ergonomics leave something to be desired

Apr 20, 2014 at 04:41 PM
SugarRush

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Waist pack with a tripod holder?

There are several Lowepro bags with waist cinches and tripod attachments, have you tried the bag finder "quiz" on Lowepro's site? It could help you choose a bag. I currently have a Lowepro without waist attachment so I can't comment on that, but I do like the brand (durable, attractive-ish, many choices for size and function, etc). Haven't tried the other brands you listed. Good luck!

Apr 20, 2014 at 09:30 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Waist pack with a tripod holder?

I'm not sure Think Tank sells one, but you could probably attach a third-party tripod carrier to the Speed Freak waist belt, which has attachment points for modular components on each side. I'm a huge fan of the Speed series of waist packs and find them very easy to walk in and work from in both urban environments and when hiking.

Apr 20, 2014 at 09:50 PM
unclemikey
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Waist pack with a tripod holder?

I don't think Think Tank has an attachment for tripod with the Speed Freak or Speed Racer waist bags. I have the TT Speak Freak and can tell you it will hold a ton of stuff by itself. However the more you put into the bag itself the more cantilever the bag becomes. I often deploy the waist belt and add one or two of the modular bags which attach to the belt to balance for event shooting or walk around in the woods. Now the issue of a tripod attachment is something else. If I carry a tripod, I've not found a way to attach it to the TT bag. I do attach a monopod to the belt section using a D ring attachment I got from a company called Maxpedition.com. When taking a tripod I usually just carry it and pre spread the legs a bit so when I stop to make a shot it will just stand on its own. Maybe one of the other companies make some sort of strap attachment but I'm thinking the tripod will most likely sway no matter how it is attached.

Apr 26, 2014 at 01:58 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.