FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART Reviews and Pre-ordering

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART Reviews and Pre-ordering

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART Reviews and Pre-ordering
B&H Photo, Adorama and Amazon are now accepting pre-orders for the new Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art.
This lens, priced at $949, received great reviews and according to DXOMark, it's every bit as good as the earlier 35mm f1.4 model, in fact it’s slightly better in outright sharpness and uniformity.

Reviews:
  1. DXOMark
  2. ThePhoblographer
  3. SLRGear
  4. Dpreview Lab test
  5. The-Digital-Picture
  6. LensTip
Pre-order links:
B&H Photo | Adorama | Amazon

Availability: April 29th, 2014

Apr 20, 2014 at 01:23 PM
neilvan
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART Reviews and Pre-ordering

another review for anyone interested...

http://www.lenstip.com/400.1-Lens_review-Sigma_A_50_mm_f_1.4_DG_HSM_Introduction.html

Apr 20, 2014 at 04:26 PM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART Reviews and Pre-ordering

I found this part interesting:
The front element is immobile for a change which means the optical system and the focal length shift during the focusing.

Does this mean that the lens is less than 50mm at MFD?

Apr 21, 2014 at 05:06 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART Reviews and Pre-ordering

fraga wrote:
I found this part interesting:

Does this mean that the lens is less than 50mm at MFD?

I just run the spec thru a macro calc

MFD 40cm - mag .18x

And they come out as a focal length of 51mm

I thought it would come out less than that as most lenses come out less than their stated focal length at the MFD

Ie the canon 100L macro IS , scales out at 75mm at its mfd

Mfd 30cm mag 1:1

Apr 21, 2014 at 06:34 AM
outlawyer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART Reviews and Pre-ordering

Hope the price comes down eventually.

Apr 21, 2014 at 06:52 AM
rongoe
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART Reviews and Pre-ordering

^
what did the prices of the other Art lenses do after introduction? That may serve as a guide of what to expect.

Apr 21, 2014 at 09:10 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART Reviews and Pre-ordering

Thanks, Ian.

Apr 21, 2014 at 09:16 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART Reviews and Pre-ordering

fraga wrote:
Thanks, Ian.

happy to help.

Apr 21, 2014 at 09:51 AM
Regan

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART Reviews and Pre-ordering

Another review: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-50mm-f-1.4-DG-HSM-Art-Lens.aspx

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:51 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART Reviews and Pre-ordering

outlawyer wrote:
Hope the price comes down eventually.

Amazon will run a very brief sale come Christmas. I saved 200 bucks on my Sigma 35 f1.4 for Christmas. I'm going to wait for that.

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:28 PM
neilvan
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART Reviews and Pre-ordering

I am just going to buy it now and start enjoying it...

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:29 PM
KiboOst
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART Reviews and Pre-ordering

Regan wrote:
Another review: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-50mm-f-1.4-DG-HSM-Art-Lens.aspx

And report AF inconsistency (actually his simple test for AF got 4 unusable shots over 10 !!!)
I was ready to order, but will wait for more tests and reports ... Really a shame Sigma can put out such great lens with poor AF.
What do you think about this ? 40% miss static shot with 5DIII which has state of the art AF ...
Any 35/1.4A user about this ?

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:47 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART Reviews and Pre-ordering

KiboOst wrote:
And report AF inconsistency (actually his simple test for AF got 4 unusable shots over 10 !!!)
I was ready to order, but will wait for more tests and reports ... Really a shame Sigma can put out such great lens with poor AF.
What do you think about this ? 40% miss static shot with 5DIII which has state of the art AF ...
Any 35/1.4A user about this ?

I think a miss rate of 40% is significant and not just a slight miss, but an unuseable miss. In addtion, this is not something that the Sigma Dock can fix. Furthermore, the lens that was provided by Sigma for the review was probably hand-picked by Sigma. Bryan usually purchase retail versions for his reviews.

Boy, this is not good at all.

Apr 22, 2014 at 01:33 PM
AnthonyRay
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART Reviews and Pre-ordering

mogud wrote:
I think a miss rate of 40% is significant and not just a slight miss, but an unuseable miss. In addtion, this is not something that the Sigma Dock can fix. Furthermore, the lens that was provided by Sigma for the review was probably hand-picked by Sigma. Bryan usually purchase retail versions for his reviews.

Boy, this is not good at all.

I'm not too concerned - yet. Bryan has always had lousy luck with Sigma AF. If I'd have gone with his previous findings I wouldn't have gotten one of the best lenses I've owned (17-50 f2.8 OS), I don't think he ever tested the 70-200 which I also own and love.

Plus, this bad hit rate is not what I'd call a real-world test - he also indicates that the real world shooting was mostly good. I'd be going with that, a chart (or book) can be scientific because it doesn't move, but it can also be a bad example.

So my take away? Don't be shooting stamps or book illustrations and you'll be fine.

Apr 22, 2014 at 05:26 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART Reviews and Pre-ordering

I'm not too concerned - yet. Bryan has always had lousy luck with Sigma AF. If I'd have gone with his previous findings I wouldn't have gotten one of the best lenses I've owned (17-50 f2.8 OS), I don't think he ever tested the 70-200 which I also own and love.

fine.

What version ?

70-200 OS
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-70-200mm-f-2.8-DG-OS-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx

70-200 macro II
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-70-200mm-f-2.8-DG-HSM-II-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

Apr 22, 2014 at 05:37 PM
KiboOst
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART Reviews and Pre-ordering

Here is another review :
http://www.slrlounge.com/sigma-50mm-f1-4-dg-hsm-art-full-review

"This Sigma 50mm is both quick to focus and very accurate. All three of the other lenses that I compared this lens to had AF accuracy issues, while the Sigma was very accurate. It its worth noting though that the AF does have a little trouble in low light, but that could have been a combination of the lens and my Canon 6D. Overall, I am very happy with the AF."

He did some comparisons also and never said something wrong regarding Sigma AF.

Waiting for real use feedbacks :-D And some 36Mp FF resolution tests.

Apr 23, 2014 at 07:46 AM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART Reviews and Pre-ordering

AnthonyRay wrote:

Plus, this bad hit rate is not what I'd call a real-world test - he also indicates that the real world shooting was mostly good. I'd be going with that, a chart (or book) can be scientific because it doesn't move, but it can also be a bad example.

So my
...Show more

It is very real world for those of us taking photos of people moving and dancing and jumping around. I would go so far as to say that ISO100 at 1/4000 of a second is excellent shooting conditions compared the the heinous ISO6400-12800 barely hitting 1/100s stuff that is very much average for me. My 35L doesn't miss 4/10 shots on my 1D3 with a significantly older AF unit, and neither does my 85L wide open.

I will wait for other reviews but Bryan's thoughts have almost always mirrored my own when using equipment. I am happy that your usage case isn't as grueling and these lenses seem to work for you, but for event and concert photography they just flat out aren't acceptable.

Apr 23, 2014 at 09:34 AM
AnthonyRay
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART Reviews and Pre-ordering

kezeka wrote:
It is very real world for those of us taking photos of people moving and dancing and jumping around. I would go so far as to say that ISO100 at 1/4000 of a second is excellent shooting conditions compared the the heinous ISO6400-12800 barely hitting 1/100s stuff that is very much average for me. My 35L doesn't miss 4/10 shots on my 1D3 with a significantly older AF unit, and neither does my 85L wide open.

I will wait for other reviews but Bryan's thoughts have almost always mirrored my own when using equipment. I am happy that your usage case
...Show more

What did I say about people moving and dancing and jumping around? I mentioned books and stamps, which is as close as he could get to a scientific test on hit rate.

I've read Bryan's review again, and unless I'm missing something he states that he got great results using it in AI multipoint mode (his Daughter's sports) on two concurrent days, while the static tripod subject in One Shot center point was "iffy". And, that makes sense to some degree.

So it sounds like "grueling" is what it does well? Well, I guess not what you'd call grueling. But I don't ever recall seeing Bryan doing concert photography - he never really struck me as that type of guy. I guess it's his thoughts on using equipment that mirror your own, not the actual way he shoots. Makes sense to me. O_o

Anyway, Bryan's is the only review that mentions this problem, I think the only source that hasn't turned in a review yet is Photozone. That doesn't make lenstip, SLR Gear etc. right, or Bryan wrong. If I had to pick, I'd go with Bryan any day of the week. If I really had to pick, I'd go with me - but I don't own the lens.

Personally, I think I'm still going to wait a bit - I've noticed that all of these things magically start working a lot better after they've been out for a little while. Kind of like they get fine tuned and the manufacturer forgets to mention anything about it? It's also not out of the realm of possibility that Bryan's lens isn't 100%. Nobody ever mentions lens variation - which I've certainly experienced especially with Tamron. I had 2 that couldn't AF to save their lives, yet I get one that's just fine (after 4 other copies).

Anyway If concert photography is what's important to you, then I haven't seen anything that would indicate this lens is necessarily good - even the rave reviews. Then again, I can't think of any lens that gets reviewed in those conditions. Maybe you should start a blog?

Apr 24, 2014 at 05:40 PM
krementz
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART Reviews and Pre-ordering

I'll second Anthony: kezeka, do a review/discussion of best lenses for low light concerts. Tough shooting, very different than BIF, which seems to have a disproportnate amount of forum space. Love to learn a bit.

Apr 24, 2014 at 09:05 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART Reviews and Pre-ordering

krementz wrote:
I'll second Anthony: kezeka, do a review/discussion of best lenses for low light concerts. Tough shooting, very different than BIF, which seems to have a disproportnate amount of forum space. Love to learn a bit.

That kind of mirrors my stress test for a normal lens- indoors, low artificial light, moving subjects...

If it can't nail focus quickly and accurately, it won't get the shot- a reason that the 35L is still the workhorse it is despite being optically outclassed in many respects by less expensive lenses.

Apr 24, 2014 at 09:09 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.