Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · semalt.com in Your Google Analytics? What Is It, How To Remove It

MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · semalt.com in Your Google Analytics? What Is It, How To Remove It

I've been noticing for a few months now traffic from a site named semalt.com it has been totaling about 5-10% of my traffic each month and it has a 100% bounce rate.

So what is it, where is it coming from and can I stop it?

http://www.onlinethreatalerts.com/article/2014/1/1/what-is-the-website-www-semalt-com-about/

Also: http://clicky.com/forums/?id=16360

How to remove it from your stats:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/analytics/ePCUyPkDVvs

Read the post by Roy Janseen

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:11 PM
cas5
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · semalt.com in Your Google Analytics? What Is It, How To Remove It

Analytics show that about 9% of my traffic is from them and I too have a 100% bounce rate.

Apr 21, 2014 at 12:18 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · semalt.com in Your Google Analytics? What Is It, How To Remove It

What's "bounce rate"?

Apr 21, 2014 at 01:58 AM
cas5
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · semalt.com in Your Google Analytics? What Is It, How To Remove It

It represents the percentage of visitors who enter the site and "bounce" (leave the site) rather than continue viewing other pages within the same site.

Bounce rate is a measure of the effectiveness of a website in encouraging visitors to continue with their visit. It is expressed as a percentage and represents the proportion of visits that end on the first page of the website that the visitor sees. Wikipedia

Apr 21, 2014 at 02:06 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · semalt.com in Your Google Analytics? What Is It, How To Remove It

Apparently run by a group of Ukrainian spammers.

Apr 21, 2014 at 08:08 AM
Josh Jones
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · semalt.com in Your Google Analytics? What Is It, How To Remove It

That has been bugging me too. It's really weird! Thanks for the info!

Apr 21, 2014 at 09:14 AM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · semalt.com in Your Google Analytics? What Is It, How To Remove It

I made a change to my .htaccess file to ban hits from that domain.

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:08 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · semalt.com in Your Google Analytics? What Is It, How To Remove It

johnrg wrote:
I made a change to my .htaccess file to ban hits from that domain.

Is there an advantage of one method over the either? Setting up a filter inside of Google Analytics or your method?

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:13 AM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · semalt.com in Your Google Analytics? What Is It, How To Remove It

MRomine wrote:
Is there an advantage of one method over the either? Setting up a filter inside of Google Analytics or your method?

I don't think it matters. I liked the .htaccess method since it keeps their bots completely off my site, but either works.

Apr 21, 2014 at 02:32 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · semalt.com in Your Google Analytics? What Is It, How To Remove It

This seems to be a growing problem everywhere: http://logorrhoea.net/2014/01/how-to-block-semalt-com-referrer-traffic-using-htaccess/
Read the comments.

John did the code that you added to your .htaccess file work? The filters that I set up in my Google Analytics have not worked.

Jun 27, 2014 at 05:06 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · semalt.com in Your Google Analytics? What Is It, How To Remove It

they actually allow you to be removed from their crawler:

h ttp://semalt.com/project_crawler.php

I did this a while back and haven't seen any hits from them on my analytics since.

Jun 27, 2014 at 06:50 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · semalt.com in Your Google Analytics? What Is It, How To Remove It

dhp_sf wrote:
they actually allow you to be removed from their crawler:

h ttp://semalt.com/project_crawler.php

I did this a while back and haven't seen any hits from them on my analytics since.

Ok, maybe I will try that, I was nervous about that in the past because I didn't really trust them.

Jun 27, 2014 at 06:51 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · semalt.com in Your Google Analytics? What Is It, How To Remove It

I think it takes a couple weeks to kick in. but i haven't had any hits from them for about a week and a half when I normally got multiple hits a week.

I can let you know if i get any hits over the next couple of weeks to be sure.

Jun 27, 2014 at 07:02 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.