New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Need some advice...

scottpamphoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need some advice...

Moved from the T3i to a D800 last year. I just got it back from Nikon after they fixed a couple of issues with the focus and exposure being way off.

When I bought the camera, I also bundled a 28-300 3.5-5.6 lens and also got a 50 1.8 afterwards.

I have about $2500-3000 budget and want to get some more equipment and am not sure what to get first or why I can't even PM someone in the buy and sell section...

So here is my dream list:

24-70 2.8 Nikon
70-200 2.8 Nikon
Used body - D600 or D610.

I shoot bands - live and promo shots, fashion and models, and am looking to get more higher end work in weddings and portraits.

Looked at used prices for the lenses and there is not that much of a difference.

If I get the 24-70 used for 1300-1400 and I have a problem, the repair could be price difference to a new lens with the extended warranty...

Opinions? Thoughts?

Which lens should I be focusing on getting first?

Apr 19, 2014 at 02:30 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need some advice...

PM : I think you need 10 or is it 25 posts to PM someone. Instead ask them to PM you.

Lenses : Your Dream List is focused on zooms so if that is what you feel comfortable with (and those are 2 excellent lenses for events) then you are surely on the right track. Your 50/1.8 can do at a pinch for creative shots of event peripherals (rings/flowers/preparation creative DoF shots etc.) though an 85/1.4 would be better. 24mm on FF should be wide enough for most anything. You might want to look at 3rd Party equivalent offerings to save some money (and get longer guarantees) if you want to get say that 85mm too.

For your budget (prices from Amazon) : new Sigma 70-200/2.8 US$1,200 (used from US$750); Sigma 85/1.4 US$970 (US$510); Sigma 24-70 US$800 *US$450 used). Nikon 910 US$550 (you'll eventually need a backup or 2nd off-camera unit too). All of those lenses have excellent reputations and represent a substantial saving over Nikon. I'm sure you'll get many other recommendations in this thread.

Cameras : for paid events you need two. EDIT : oops missed you already have a D800 !

Events/Weddings/Models/Fashion : you need to learn how to use the excellent Nikon CLS and probably buy a 910.

For starters and a budget of US$4,000 (personally I'd sell both your 28-300 and 50/1.8 to add $1k to the budget). Note buying used Sigmas you won't lose much when you eventually sell them on and it'll get you a very good kit very quickly. Buy from someone like BH.

D610 - ca. $1,600 (used)
Sigma 70-200/2.8 (used) ca. $750
Sigma 24-70/2.8 (or the Tamron is very good too and about another $200 saving at 300 used to 450 new) ca. $450 used
Sigma 85/1.4 ca. $500 used (the Nikon 85/1.8G would be a decent option, and cheaper, but AF not as fast)
Nikon 910 $550 (new)

Total $3,850

Edited on Apr 19, 2014 at 08:53 AM · View previous versions

Apr 19, 2014 at 04:11 AM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need some advice...

Considering what are you shooting now, IMHO the best strategy is to add a D610 and two fast primes. I'd go for Sigma 35/1.4 which is one of the best lenses I ever had and for Nikon 85/1.8 G or Sigma 85/1.4. Next step when funds will allow would be to add a Tamron 24-70/2.8 or a Nikon 24-70/2.8 used. Tamron will save your money and is offering stabilization, which is not bad.

I personally love to shoot gigs with two bodies and two fast primes, eventually with a third prime on the bag.

Apr 19, 2014 at 04:40 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need some advice...

Focus on GLASS. You have a good camera in the D800 and you can only shoot one body at a time. Of course where you are doing paid gigs, you need a 2nd body ... but a 28-300 3.5-5.6, while fine as a "travel & family snapshot" lens, is not what I would use for professional work.

But good glass will make a world of difference in your pictures. Your idea of going with high-quality professional f/2.8 zooms is a good one. In the long run they offer the best balance between flexibility and performance ... and in an aggregate, result in the lightest camera bag as the # of primes needed to replace one of those zooms ends up being heavier and bulkier and more $

That said, once you have your pro-quality zooms and get good at using them, you can salt in with faster primes and specialty lenses where you have a need, but only where you have the need.

Finally, in time, get yourself a back-up body.

Develop a plan and stick to it.

Apr 19, 2014 at 08:42 AM
Mr. Clean
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need some advice...

I've never ever had an issue with any used lens (knock on wood). I think it's a good way to save money.
If the 24-70 is your dream lens, then get it! You certainly have the budget and it's a GREAT piece of glass. You can save some money by going through KEH or buying used. Neither of which would concern me at all.
If you don't mind third party glass, the Tamron is an excellent contender. My only beef is the larger filter size.
Another option is The Beast. The 28-70f2.8. I currently shoot that as it's just not in the budget to have the 24-70. It's heavy, but a great piece of glass. The downside is that you can find GREAT deals on them, but chances are they need the AF motor fix ($500). You can find excellent copies with this service already done but they're a thousand bucks and at that point you should just stretch for the 24-70.
Again, if it's what you want, just get it. One of the best lenses I have ever owned.

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need some advice...

You can easily do a wedding with just the two zooms. Weddings are fast moving and zooms give you a huge advantage. If you don't have a pair of SB-900/910 flash, that's a very obvious addition. (Remember that you need two of everything when doing weddings.) I would skip the D610 idea for two reasons. First, you are much better off having two of the exact same camera. You won't even have to think about where buttons are when the action heats up--your fingers know where they are. You just concentrate on composition. Second thing is the D800 has a noticeably better AF system and will quickly focus in lower light. If you are doing this full time especially, skip the D610. A used D800 is about the same $$. For pro work, there is no advantage at all for a D610 over a used D800.

All of my lenses were purchases second hand. Never had a problem. They are expensive and the previous owners took good care of them.

Kent in SD

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:28 AM
scottpamphoto

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need some advice...

I greatly appreciate the feedback and just got a booking for live action/portraiture for Tuesday.

So far, I have priced out that 24-70, which I think should be the first lens to get, and here's what I found:

Used ranges from $1300-1500, new is about 1800-2000.

There have been alot of reported issues with the zoom ring on this lens and I am thinking if I get a bad one, I am out the additional $$ for a repair, which appears to be in the $500 range.

Used $1300+500 repair = 1800. Still not under warranty.

New (using Amazon for pricing) 1886 with 4 years of warranty...

And I think I better get it before the shoot Tuesday since I want to get a feel for it and using it..

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:00 AM
scottpamphoto

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need some advice...

And if I have the lens today, I have a band that needs me to REDO the last set TONIGHT since they changed drummers two nights after I did that set!!

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:01 AM
scottpamphoto

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need some advice...

My confession: I have not really invested in glass. I have tried for years to just "make do" and I can see the lack of commitment in the shots.

I am going to see about getting the 24-70 lens today somewhere out here in SoCal.

What do you folks think about getting an 85 from sigma?

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:00 PM
Mr. Clean
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need some advice...

I think the zoom ring thing on the 24-70G is blown out of proportion...Personally. But if you buy new, that's a lot of confidence you'll have. Plus it's nice to open crispy new boxes

The 85mm 1.4 that Sigma makes is, in my opinion, the all time best. When I was Canon I had the 1.2L. Now, the Sigma doesn't do 1.2 but I think it's a better lens. I've had the Canon 1.8 and 1.2, both Nikon 1.8's, the 1.4D and the Sigma wins hands down every time in my book. You can get it used for a great price. Or, Sigma has it refurb'd too: http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/85mm-f14-ex-dg-hsm-refurbished

Another option, especially if you want to shoot weddings and what not is a 70-200 or 80-200. 200mm @ f2.8 is a great portrait tool too. Those were my go to combos for weddings, 24-70 and 70-200. I just recently got an 80-200 AFD (two ring version) and am very impressed. The price can't be beat either

Apr 19, 2014 at 01:14 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.