Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Bag for RRS TVC-34L with BH-55?

cambyses
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bag for RRS TVC-34L with BH-55?

We are thinking of getting RRS TVC-34L tripod together with BH-55 ballhead. I haven't had much of a chance finding a used set, and so we may have to bite the bullet and buy new.

Now, my question to those of you who already have this set: Which tripod bag do you use? RRS recommends their TQB-80B as the default bag for TVC-34L+BH-55. However, on their website as well as on phone conversations I have had with them, they say that if I use leg wraps (e.g., LensCoat), this bag may no longer fit the tripod, and that I would be better off getting their bigger bag TQB-89 which seems a bit too large to me.

So those of you who own this set, and perhaps use leg wraps, which bag, if any, do you use for your tripod? Can you fit it in TQB-80B? Or have you possibly found better alternative padded bags?

Thanks...

Apr 19, 2014 at 01:14 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bag for RRS TVC-34L with BH-55?

That is a fact. They tend to have the bag cut to the tripods original dimensions and is an exacting fit. I found this to be true with their bag that I had gotten with a used TVC 24. This kind of surprised me. So I use an unpadded kinesis tripod bag instead. I have one for my TVC 33. The internal leg pads do the padding job (which are a just bit thicker the neoprene ones because of heavier lenses carried. you know delicate shoulders) and I just throw the RRS ballhead cover on the head while on the tripod. for length differences just fold over. It reduces overall bulk substantially.

the RRS case is the only padded case i have and don't really use it. but then at times free is good.

Edited on Apr 19, 2014 at 12:33 PM · View previous versions

Apr 19, 2014 at 06:29 AM
rytch0
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bag for RRS TVC-34L with BH-55?

I have the RRS TVC-34L and BH-55 combination with Lenscoat leg wraps, and the combination fits into my RRS TQB-80B bag with no problem.

Apr 19, 2014 at 08:37 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bag for RRS TVC-34L with BH-55?

The large RRS tripod bag is REALLY large. I fit my 34L, BH-55, Gitzo 5541 monopod, and 4th gen mongoose gimbal head all together in there.

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:18 AM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bag for RRS TVC-34L with BH-55?

rytch0 wrote:
I have the RRS TVC-34L and BH-55 combination with Lenscoat leg wraps, and the combination fits into my RRS TQB-80B bag with no problem.

Thanks. That is good to know. So do you have to struggle in any way to open/close the zipper, and to get it in and out of the bag, or is it still a good fit? Also would it still fit if you also wanted to leave the BH-55 ballhead pouch on top of the ballhead?

Thanks...

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:29 PM
rytch0
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bag for RRS TVC-34L with BH-55?

Actually, I always leave the BH-55 on it. Opening the zipper is easy, and I would say it's a barely snug fit -- I wouldn't even say tight. Everything just fit perfectly from the get-go. I used the Lenscoat Legcoat Wraps 514 and it all goes in great. Not sure about the less expensive Legcoats though they may be thicker?

Apr 19, 2014 at 02:08 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bag for RRS TVC-34L with BH-55?

the point of the padding was when you shoulder hauled a camera/big lens combination that it didn't dig in. thinner the padding the bigger the dig.

Apr 19, 2014 at 03:38 PM
rytch0
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bag for RRS TVC-34L with BH-55?

For me the Lenscoat Legwrap has plenty of padding and doesn't shift all over the place like the cheaper ones do

Apr 19, 2014 at 03:59 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bag for RRS TVC-34L with BH-55?

rytch0 wrote:
Actually, I always leave the BH-55 on it. Opening the zipper is easy, and I would say it's a barely snug fit -- I wouldn't even say tight. Everything just fit perfectly from the get-go. I used the Lenscoat Legcoat Wraps 514 and it all goes in great. Not sure about the less expensive Legcoats though they may be thicker?

Actually my question was not about leaving BH-55 ballhead itself on the tripod. Instead, I was asking if you could put that nylon pouch that comes with BH-55 on top of the ballhead before you put the whole thing in the bag? The reason I ask is that I can see how I will like to have that pouch handy in the field, and put it on the ballhead when not in use, and so I am wondering if the tripod bag will still fit the tripod+ballhead if I leave the pouch on the ballhead? Or if I will have to put the pouch in another bag or something.

Thanks.

Apr 19, 2014 at 08:29 PM
rytch0
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bag for RRS TVC-34L with BH-55?

Sorry, I misread your post. I did just try putting the combination in the bag with the pouch on the ball head, and it did go in, although you do have to be careful zipping the head end closed since the combination is somewhat tight. In other words, it can be done, just not quickly. Without the pouch the tripod and head can be placed in the bag and zipped right up very easily.

Apr 19, 2014 at 08:45 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bag for RRS TVC-34L with BH-55?

Great. Thank you so much for the information.

Apr 19, 2014 at 08:55 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Bag for RRS TVC-34L with BH-55?

Another option is the Hakuba tripod bags - nice quality and balance between padding & weight. And only $38. I fit a Gitzo 3541XLS and 1 series in this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/222478-REG/Hakuba_PSTC_200_PSTC_200_Tripod_Case.html

Both with leg padding and ballheads attached (ballheads are wrapped for protection).

Apr 20, 2014 at 06:53 PM
thirtyfivefifty
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Bag for RRS TVC-34L with BH-55?

Just wanted to add to this thread that from my experience a RRS TQB-80B will fit a TVC-34L with 514 LegCoat Wraps, TA-3 Leveling Base with Clamp, BH-55 LR with dovetail and pouch pulled over like a glove. It's meant to be.

May 11, 2017 at 01:34 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Bag for RRS TVC-34L with BH-55?

With RRS and Gitzo that are too cheap to provide a tripod case I go to B&H and do a sort through their bags based on the length I need and get one with a large outer pocket where I can stash a Wimberley Sidekick.

I have simple cloth tripod cases from Davis & Sanford and others that have lasted through decades of use. Cordura is overkill in my opinion for tripod legs. I never check the tripods in for air travel and in my vehicles the cloth cases are good enough to keep the legs protected from dirt and the car protected from any dirt on the feet of the tripod legs.

May 11, 2017 at 06:17 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.