Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4              36       37       end
  

Why keep a D7K around?
  
 
trenchmonkey
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Why keep a D7K around?


coferg wrote:
TM - Interesting comment on why the -0.7. I rarely shoot anything under 6500 feet here in CO, and often in too much sun (while everyone else is having lunch, or a brew). I find myself going under on 8 out of 10 shots, with any camera. Never considered there could be an environmental reason, thought it was just me. Thanks for the info. - Jim


Hey, Jim! We can get away with more harsh light in the Spring/Fall vs. the angles we see
in the Summer. Less pollution acting as a filter as well, at altitude. It's not just you.
Possible trade off for losing 40HP in my 4.0L Xterra...



Apr 19, 2014 at 07:14 PM
eltano
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Why keep a D7K around?


Will, I check my (yours) settings again, I probably changed something by accident.

Regards

Gus



Apr 19, 2014 at 08:17 PM
Kerry Pierce
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Why keep a D7K around?


I agree, the sensor in the d7k is prolly the best DX sensor ever made, certainly the best that I've ever had in my hands. I like it so much that I bought the d5100 too.

That first shot, Will, is simply gorgeous, one of your better shots for colors, IMO.

Kerry



Apr 19, 2014 at 08:28 PM
trenchmonkey
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Why keep a D7K around?


Kerry Pierce wrote:
I agree, the sensor in the d7k is prolly the best DX sensor ever made, certainly the best that I've ever had in my hands. I like it so much that I bought the d5100 too.

That first shot, Will, is simply gorgeous, one of your better shots for colors, IMO.

Kerry


Thanks very much, Kerry. Funny, I just bought the Mrs a D5100 for that very reason. Was hoping
(dreaming) Nikon would put this sensor in a D2Xs/D300s and call it a day. So much for that happenin'



Apr 19, 2014 at 08:37 PM
dpwelsh
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Why keep a D7K around?


I keep making money with my D7000. Now I feel like less of a pro. .

For what I do with photography as a part time business, I have no need to invest in an FX body, especially when I have the top of the line DX body that lets face it, is stunning with its IQ. The investment in an FX camera for me would years to pay off, unless I started doing wedding photography. But even then, I'm confident my D7000 could tackle a wedding too, and unless they want billboard size prints, they'd be pretty happy customers.



Apr 19, 2014 at 09:26 PM
trenchmonkey
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Why keep a D7K around?


dpwelsh wrote:
I keep making money with my D7000. Now I feel like less of a pro. .

For what I do with photography as a part time business, I have no need to invest in an FX body, especially when I have the top of the line DX body that lets face it, is stunning with its IQ. The investment in an FX camera for me would years to pay off, unless I started doing wedding photography. But even then, I'm confident my D7000 could tackle a wedding too, and unless they want billboard size prints, they'd be pretty happy customers.


Oh, it can. There's something about the bright VF of FX, the shallow DOF, pro controls & AF
on all but the D600/610. Don't get me wrong, 2 1/2 years with the D7K n' rodeos has paid for
all 3 of my FX bodies. My glass too save for the 200 f2 that was covered by just one 'Sandhills
in the Snow' capture. If I JUST need reach the D7K/D2Xs get the call. It's nice to be able to toss
a ~$500 body in the truck and not freak about what might happen. It's all good. Thanks for playin'



Apr 19, 2014 at 09:41 PM
Kerry Pierce
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Why keep a D7K around?


Kerry Pierce wrote:
I agree, the sensor in the d7k is prolly the best DX sensor ever made, certainly the best that I've ever had in my hands. I like it so much that I bought the d5100 too.

That first shot, Will, is simply gorgeous, one of your better shots for colors, IMO.

Kerry

trenchmonkey wrote:
Thanks very much, Kerry. Funny, I just bought the Mrs a D5100 for that very reason. Was hoping
(dreaming) Nikon would put this sensor in a D2Xs/D300s and call it a day. So much for that happenin'


Again, I agree, Will. I've been saying, for a long time, that the d7k sensor in a d300s body/features would prolly be my last DX camera. Lots of folks think I'm silly (and other similar names), because we *need* 24mps in a d400 type body.... Well, I have always disagreed with that notion, but haven't gotten much support, so I guess I am silly, along with you.

The Mrs should do nicely with the d5100. It's a pretty nice camera, IMO, especially as a daily carry camera when no shoots are planned.

Kerry



Apr 19, 2014 at 11:01 PM
frankpetronio
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Why keep a D7K around?


Dang I thought you meant a D70 or D70s, not one of the new bodies.




Apr 19, 2014 at 11:57 PM
williamkazak
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Why keep a D7K around?


Would pictures from the new D5300 body be better quality than the D7000 pictures?


Apr 20, 2014 at 01:18 AM
trenchmonkey
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Why keep a D7K around?


frankpetronio wrote:
Dang I thought you meant a D70 or D70s, not one of the new bodies.



Sorry Frank, I was one of the 1st to call the D7000 the "D7K" ~ 2 1/2 yrs ago. It stemmed from
confusion with the D700 in many threads when it first started hitting the shelves. Guy would leave off
an '0' and all hell would break loose...usually followed by a "nevermind'' Let the DX/FX wars rage on.



Apr 20, 2014 at 11:27 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



trenchmonkey
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Why keep a D7K around?


williamkazak wrote:
Would pictures from the new D5300 body be better quality than the D7000 pictures?


Depends on who's taking the pictures. The 5xxx line's somewhat crippled, the 3xxx line even
more so. Static shooting on a tripod I might think so, any action...one must GET the shot first
before comparisons can be made.



Apr 20, 2014 at 11:33 AM
Kell
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Why keep a D7K around?


read an article awhile back, can't remember where online...but the author stated that the D70, D7000 and D700 represented among the best of what Nikon has ever produced...


Apr 20, 2014 at 01:09 PM
williamkazak
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Why keep a D7K around?


If you like orange faces then get the D70. I never liked the skin color when I had my D70 and then two D70s bodies after that. The AWB was not as good as my pair of D300 bodies, when I had them.


Apr 20, 2014 at 03:29 PM
treebeard
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Why keep a D7K around?


williamkazak wrote:
If you like orange faces then get the D70. I never liked the skin color when I had my D70 and then two D70s bodies after that. The AWB was not as good as my pair of D300 bodies, when I had them.


I still have my D70s and I like using it...however you are correct with the AWB being awful!



Apr 20, 2014 at 05:27 PM
NightOwl Cat
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Why keep a D7K around?


Nice ones Will. Hoping to make a little free time this summer for shooting


trenchmonkey wrote:
Typical PM goes something like this...
"Will, you've got all these great FX bodies so why still using a D7K?"
I dunno, glutton for punishment perhaps?! Maybe I just love the files.
Took a day off from shootin' rodeo and the hit the Zoo with my Mom,
Daughters, and Grandbaby this mornin'. All grabbed when I wasn't
busy fillin' cards with shots of them.

Props to Sony for the sensor, Nikon for the 70-200 f2.8 VR II
SOOC 'pegs. My settings, just a brew away...




Apr 20, 2014 at 08:54 PM
kwoodard
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Why keep a D7K around?


So for those that might stop by this thread and wonder what your settings are... Your settings are for SOOC shots right?


Apr 20, 2014 at 09:23 PM
trenchmonkey
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Why keep a D7K around?


Nice ones Will. Hoping to make a little free time this summer for shooting

Thanks, Laura! You owe it to yourself.



Apr 21, 2014 at 10:34 AM
trenchmonkey
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Why keep a D7K around?


kwoodard wrote:
So for those that might stop by this thread and wonder what your settings are... Your settings are for SOOC shots right?


Yessir, workin' da Jpegs since '01



Apr 21, 2014 at 10:36 AM
Kit Laughlin
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Why keep a D7K around?


Will wrote:

Possible trade off for losing 40HP in my 4.0L Xterra...

Crackup. One of the reasons I like living where I do is the dense, moist air... and driving a turbocharged car, that +40HP!

A worthwhile trade-off Will, and stunning images. A pro. at work/play. Work those jpegs, baby.



Apr 21, 2014 at 10:57 AM
DennisC
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Why keep a D7K around?


trenchmonkey wrote:
After 65 yrs of mediocrity, it's finally nice to be halfway good at SOMETHING...besides husband/father.



hahaha...you just summed up my life as well in one sentence except I'm 63.

I digress. Nice shootin'/colors, Will. Couple questions, if I may...

Does the D7000 have the capability to flash sync at 1/320 like the D300?

And, that shutter is pretty quiet, right? Is there a Quiet mode? If so, even quieter?

Off topic sidebar: for the D70s, try AutoWB -2 and Hue -6. I found these settings on dpreview back in the day and was very happy with the color, even skin tones (but use sRGB I for skin).



Apr 21, 2014 at 11:02 AM
1       2      
3
       4              36       37       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4              36       37       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password